How Dark Is the Night?

The Will To Live

“Breathe, Amanda, breathe! Don’t you leave us. You have to breathe because I love you.” I heard Pete say after I felt a fire in me causing me not to fade into the darkness.

My lungs hurt and all I could do was cough. I opened my eyes as I was lying on the concrete patio gasping for air and coughing up more water. Pete was leaning over me with one of his hands under my head.

“Pete…you saved…me?” I said shivering, as I was now feeling cold and wet from the pool.

“Stay away from her!” I heard Erelin say. I could not really move, as I was still stunned at Pete saving me and in shock over what had happened to me to tell her not to worry. My mind was still processing what had happened.

“Erelin, it is ok.” Brendon said stepping in front of Pete and me.

“No, he is trying to kill her. He wants to turn her, remember?” Erelin said trying to break away from Brendon’s grasp.

“You don’t understand.” Brendon said trying to explain things to Erelin.

“No, you don’t understand!” Erelin said screaming and fighting Brendon.

“Erelin, can’t you tell that he is wet? He saved Amanda from drowning.” Brendon said as I shut my eyes.

Once, I had quit coughing and got my breathing stabled, I quickly stood up, still shivering however. “Erelin, Pete saved me. It is true.” I said turning to face Pete.

I did not understand him. I still do not know why he has done everything he has done, but he still does care and in one quick second I felt his soul again. No matter how hard he tries to get me to hate him at this moment, I can’t, not now after this. My Pete is there. I smiled at Pete.

All my pain was numb. My leg wound was starting to heal, although slowly and I could stand on it. I was mentally trying to block out the pain to concentrate on the fight at hand.

I looked around to see that Patrick, Sam, and Chrissy were still fighting vampires inside the ballroom. Joe and Andy were out fighting around me. Erelin was still pissed and turned away from Brendon to fight some more vampires. Micah and Kat were nowhere to be found around us, and I hoped that meant that they got away.

The only thing that bothered me now was that I was cold, wet, and pissed off at Volkmar. He needed to die and this time I was ready for him. No one is going to try to drown me and get away with it.

“Amanda, are you all right?” Brendon asked touching my shoulder.

“Yes, and thank you.” I said as Brendon looked at Pete who was being quiet.

“How, did you save me when I saw you get stabbed? I thought he hit your heart.” I replied now concerned at how Pete was able to rescue me. My instincts told me otherwise, however.

I had tuned Pete out with all the chaos. I knew that if Pete gives me his strength, he gets weaker. When he pulled the dagger out, he lost a lot of blood. Seeing me, however, almost die, gave him the boost of adrenaline and energy he needed. I realized that he was not about to let me die because he loved me but also because he could not save me before when I died at the hands of Natasha. It liked to have killed him watching me die in front of him.

The more intune I was trying to feel, I could feel Pete’s pain again, both mental and physical. I was not going to give up on Pete now. My feelings of hate for him were fading.
Pete did not have time to answer my questions for I had heard Kat scream. That was all it took for me to head into the maze of trees and bushes in the yard as Erelin and I saw in our dreams. I ran with speed and ignored the pain in my leg. Pete was behind me and Brendon stayed behind to prevent any vampires from chasing after us. All I knew was that Volkmar now had Kat and it was payback time for trying to kill not only me but my baby I was carrying as well.