How Dark Is the Night?

Little Trohman

Three weeks went by and we got a phone call from Joe saying that baby Christopher was ready to be born. Pete called everyone and we high tailed it to the hospital. I started to feel sick to my stomach. At first, I thought maybe it was just from all of the excitement.

It seemed like hours that we all waited in the waiting room. Everyone was on edge and excited. Chrissy and Andy had finally found out that they were going to have a girl. They decided to name her Lyra after a character in a book that Chrissy loved to read. She was due sometime in November.

“Honey, are you hungry? We have been here for three hours now. I can run out and get you something.” Pete said.

“Actually, I am not feeling too good. I think food can wait.” I said.

“Ok me, and the fellas are going to head to the cafeteria then.” Pete said.

“Alright.” I replied after I kissed him.
Once Pete and the guys had walked away, everyone swarmed around me.

“What?” I asked.

“So why are you not feeling good?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, how much fun did you and Pete have on your honeymoon?” Erelin asked making faces at me.

“Look, I am just feeling a little nauseated. I am not due to start for a few more days. I am on the pill, remember?” I responded.

“That doesn’t mean anything. People have accidents all the time on the pill. It is only 99% effective. You may be that one percent that slipped through the cracks.” Chrissy said laughing.

“Please.” I said. Could I really be pregnant? No, I have not missed a period yet because I have not even started yet.

“Look, we suggest that after a week if you don’t start or whatever, don’t take the pill cause that can screw up the baby if you are pregnant and take a pregnancy test.” Sam argued with me.

“Fine. I will do it for you guys.” I said rolling my eyes.

“It’s a boy!” I heard Joe shout down the hall and into our room.

“Oh, congratulations!” I got up and said hugging Joe.

“Wait, where is everyone else?” Joe said looking upset.

“You know the boys. They had to go eat.” Erelin said rolling her eyes.

“Well, come on. I shall take you to the viewing room.” Joe said.

I got my cell phone out even though it was against hospital policy to have it on inside the hospital. I was going to tell Pete to get the boys up here fast. Joe needed him.

“Pete. Get your ass up here. Joe is now a proud papa!” I yelled all happy over the phone. Then I quickly hung up before I could get in trouble.

“Joe, I called Pete. He is on his way with the guys.” I said.

“Thank you. Oh, you can be the first to see Bev. She can have visitors now.” Joe said tired, but happy.

“I can’t believe I am an aunt now.” I said beaming.

“Yeah, and possibly a mother again.” Chrissy said lowly.

“I heard that!” I said before I walked through the doors that led to the patient rooms.

“Hi, Bev. I will not stay long because I know you must be tired. I had a fast delivery but you, three hours is a long time.” I said.

“Yeah, that is one I am writing in his baby book.” Bev sighed.

“I am an aunt now! I get to spoil Christopher.” I said happy.

“Yes, I am sure you will as will everyone else. There is one thing though.” Bev said laughing.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“We are going to call him Dean, only Joe doesn’t know that yet. I am not much on Chris. I dated one remember in high school?” Bev laughed.

“I like Dean. Maybe our kids will date one day.” I said.

“Maybe. I know they will all grow up together. We can have play dates. With the rest of the scooby gang having kids our kids, will go to school and not be bullied or made fun of because they will have morals, values, and each other to look after.” Bev replied.

“I may need a bigger house.” I said thinking outloud.

“Why would you need a bigger one?” Bev asked.

“I could be pregnant again. Well, the girls think I am.” I said sitting on the edge of Bev’s bed.

“Have you taken a test?” She asked.

“No, I have to wait a week but I am feeling sick lately.” I said.

“Aww.” Bev said.

“I don’t know though. I have not even had Alexandra for very long. How could I divide my time between them equally?” I asked.

“You and Pete will love them both just the same. You worry too much.” Bev said.

“You noticed?” I asked.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Well, after the battle, I have all these worries anymore. Do not tell anyone, not even Pete, but I feel the same. I do not feel normal. Are there more vampires out there? Are we going to be in danger soon? I try not to worry about it but it stays with me.” I said upset.

“Hey, it is ok. In my opinion, I think everything is fine. I just think its leftover stress you are carrying. After all, you did almost die again and with all that trauma it can keep you on edge.” Bev said.

“I still have nightmares.” I said.

“So why don’t you want to tell Pete?” Bev asked confused.

“He thinks everything is fine again. I don’t want him to worry.” I said. “Don’t tell anyone I told you this.” I said.

“I promise.” She said.

“Well, I am going to let you get some rest and send the others in.” I said giving Bev a hug. “Dean is a beautiful baby with a load of hair.” I said laughing.

“I know. He is going to be quite the little rockstar.” Bev said laughing.

A week went by and I could not wait any longer. I took a pregnancy test I bought at the store and waited. The results came back negative but I was still feeling sick. I made a doctor’s appointment to at least, know why I was sick.

When I visited the doctor however, he ran some tests, which confirmed that I was indeed pregnant. My heart raced. I was suddenly happy but yet nervous just the same. How do I tell Pete the good news?

“Mrs. Wentz, may I ask if you would like it to be another girl for Alexandra to have a sister?” The doctor said.

“Actually, I know it is a boy.” I said remembering my last dream with my mother and the dream I had with Alex and Will playing together.

I smiled and knew William was what Pete and I were going to name him. Will is what we would nickname him and if I remembered correctly, he looked like a younger version of Pete. If I knew anything at all, the girls will be chasing after my son or vice versa.