How Dark Is the Night?

Dinner With The Family

I liked being a new mom. I loved all the perks that came with being a mother. I loved to watch Alexandra sleep. I had this motherly instinct that I felt like I needed to protect her from something at all costs. I mean I know it is my job as well as Pete’s to keep her and Will safe but something just didn’t feel right and I couldn’t place it.

It was almost seven and I knew that Pete would be home soon. I started to make dinner. I had sat Alex on the kitchen table in her carseat so I could keep an eye on her while I made dinner. I had just bottle fed her too and she had fallen back to sleep.

Dinner was coming along great. I was making salads and spaghetti tonight. I loved Italian food and Pete liked the sauce I made for the spaghetti. It was a family recipe my aunt had showed me how to make a long time ago when she felt like being nice to me.

“Hi, honey. I am home!” Pete yelled when he walked in the door. I walked out of the kitchen and into the living room.

“Shh. Alex is asleep in her carseat. Dinner is almost ready. I just have to slice the tomatoes for our salad if you want to start setting the table.” I said as Pete kissed my cheek.

“Sure. I told the guys the good news. They all are happy but made fun of me because of how soon it is that we are having another little one.” Pete said as I followed him back into the kitchen.

“They are just jealous.” I said laughing as Pete got out the silverware and dinner plates.

I grabbed a knife and a tomato and began to start cutting it. All of a sudden I cut myself pretty bad and dropped the knife in the floor. I said some choice cuss words which had Pete run back into the kitchen. Alexandra started to cry.

I looked down knowing I would need severe stitches because of how deep I had cut myself. What I saw was my finger quickly healing to there being no cut at all now. I turned away from Pete.

“Hey, are you ok? What’s wrong? Did you cut yourself badly?” Pete asked behind me concerned.

“Uh, no, it is just a slight cut. It just felt worse than it did.” I said lying and keeping my finger out of view from Pete.

“Can you pick up Alex?” I said walking into the living room to catch my breath. I glanced at Alex before I left.

“Sure.” Pete replied picking her up to calm her.

I had looked at her as she cried. She was sound asleep even through Pete’s loud voice. I drop the knife and she woke but didn’t start to cry until my finger healed.

I am still the slayer. Something is out there. She knows it as well as I do.

I can’t tell Pete. At least not now. I don’t want him to worry and I don’t need too much stress right now as I start to carry Will. This is why I feel so protective over Alexandra. Will my family ever be safe?