How Dark Is the Night?

All My Worst Fears Are Letting Out

I arrived at my old apartment and knocked on the door with the pregnancy test in one hand. Bev opened it and saw me crying. Joe came downstairs and gave me a hug.

“Honey, we know you are going through a rough time right now losing Pete, but…” Bev started to say as I went to sit on the couch.

“Pete’s alive.” I said cutting her off.

“What?” Bev and Joe said in unison.

“Yeah, only he is a vampire now. A good one and so is Erelin. She is back as well.” I said.

“How?” Joe asked.

I explained everything that happened last night to Bev and Joe. They seemed to take it well except the part about Pete acting weird around me. I told them that Pete doesn’t know about me possibly being pregnant.

“If you are pregnant Amanda are you going to tell Pete?” Bev asked.

“No. To tell you the truth I don’t know what I am going to do. How can I raise a child and fight vampires? How do I tell Pete when he is acting weird? Right now it is best he not know if I find out I am pregnant.” I said thinking about the best interest for my potential child.

“Joe please don’t tell Pete if I find out I am.” I begged.

“I can’t promise but I will try not to.” Joe said. “Wow, you maybe being pregnant is kind of cool. Your child will have so many aunts and uncles and I can baby sit.” He said grinning at Bev.

“Joe, I told you I am not ready to have kids yet. Let’s test drive with Amanda’s.” Bev said acting like we already knew I was pregnant. I just smiled and laughed a bit cheering up.
“Well I am anxious but nervous. I am going to go take the test. Joe do you mind calling everyone and filling them in? I would but I am too exhausted to do so.” I said heading to the bathroom.

“Sure.” He said getting on that.

I did everything I was supposed to for the test. I waited the few minutes that it said to wait and then the results showed up. I was pregnant.

“Bev, I am pregnant.” I said happy but not too thrilled.

“Oh that is great news!” She said hugging me.

“Bev, why am I not as happy as I should be?” I asked walking back into the living room.

“Oh, it will take some getting used to.” She said sitting in the couch beside me.

“I’m scared. What if I lose Pete? What if he doesn’t love me anymore? Do I want a vampire to raise this child even though he is the father? How can I keep this child safe? How can I fight and protect the child in my stomach?” I asked as all of these fears circled in my mind.

“We will all be there to help you, even Joe.” She said laughing who had wrapped up his calls now and walked in on our conversation.

“Amanda, we will help in any way we can. After all you saved us and risked your life for us.
We should repay the favor somehow.” Joe said placing his hand on my shoulder.

“Yes but how do I raise this child as a single mom?” I asked. I don’t think I want Pete in this child’s life right now.” I sighed.

Joe and Bev gave a concerned look at each other. “Amanda even if Pete isn’t in this child’s life we will be as everyone else will be too. And Pete will come around to you eventually. You two always find a way back to each other. This child will make you stronger.” Joe replied.

“I did manage to tell Patrick. It slipped.” Joe added.

“What!” I exclaimed.

“Joe, how could you?” Bev asked mad.

“I couldn’t help it. It slipped but I made him promise not to tell.” He said.

“Great.” I said.

I asked Bev for a phone book and found my doctor to set up an appointment for the baby. I was scared for my child. I wanted it to be safe and loved.

After eating breakfast with Joe and Bev I went back home and crashed on the downstairs couch. Kat did not disturb me and told Pete not to yell for me that I was sleeping which I heard before I drifted to sleep.

Everything would work out. At least I hoped it would. If it is a girl I want the name Alexandra. If I have a boy the name Alexander I like as well. Either way, I want a little Alex running around. Yeah, that sounds good; Alex Wentz. I hope I can protect this child as my mother did for six years of my life. Besides it will definitely be loved.