How Dark Is the Night?

And Baby Makes Three

I woke up around four pm. Kat was swimming in the pool outside as I got up off the couch and looked out the windows. She waved as she saw me.

I walked upstairs dreading to see Pete but I knew I had to. I stood there for a second. I then knocked on the door.

“Amanda?” Pete asked as he opened the door.

Pete had the light on so it wasn’t dark in the room. The television was on and our laptop was on the bed. The bed looked like he had slept in it as well.

“Pete…” I began to say as I walked into our bedroom.

“Amanda, I want to apologize. I have been cooped up in here without you. I miss you. I have been able to do some thinking in here alone, though. I’m not handling things very well I admit. But I don’t want to lose you. I love you. I thought that this was the best thing to do. I wanted to protect you but it seems I am pushing you away. I hurt you and I am sorry.” Pete said in front of me.

“Pete, I am so glad to hear…” I said as I fainted in his arms.

I came to with Pete trying to wake me up. I must be hungry again. I had an early breakfast and now that I am eating for two I need to be careful and eat regularly. I need dinner.

“Are you alright? Amanda, you look pale.” Pete said leaning over me on the bed.

“I’m fine, just hungry.” I said sitting up.

Pete ran in the bathroom to get me some water in one of those rinse cups. I took the cup and said thank you to him when he handed it to me. Then I drank the water and sat the cup on the nightstand.

“I can sense something is not right with you, Amanda. What are you not telling me?” He asked.

“Are you still moving to Patrick’s?” I asked changing the subject.

“Yes. I can’t stay here.” He said sitting beside me on the bed.

Then I noticed a white box on the end of the bed. I reached down to pick it up. I opened it to find it was our wedding photos in an album.

“Kat got the door. You were still sleeping. The photographer brought over the pictures. Do you like them?” Pete asked leaning into me as I flipped through the album.

“They are beautiful.” I said tears starting to form.

“Not as beautiful as the bride herself. You were stunning that night. You nearly took my breath away as you walked down the aisle, no joke.” He said getting closer to me and taking the album out of my hands.

Our bodies were close. My heart raced and I ached to feel his touch. Our faces leaned into each other until Pete finally pulled me into a kiss. A kiss I had been waiting for that would assure me that everything would be alright; at least for the moment.

Then we gazed into each others’ eyes and he pulled me onto his lap. I pulled his shirt off and ran my hands down his back. Then he took mine off and began kissing my neck. Things were starting to get hot and heavy for a minute. I was getting my husband back.

Then, Pete’s eyes began to change. Pete was briefly slipping away as he began to kiss my lips hard and then down to my neck. He sunk his fangs into my skin as if to claim what is his.

“Pete…no…the baby.” I said starting to push him off me. Then his eyes went back to normal and he hopped off the bed.

“What did you say?” Pete asked in shock.

“Pete, I’m pregnant.” I said clutching my neck. I saw hurt and more pain fill his eyes. He lost control. This was changing Pete. This new enemy is nothing like Dracula. And Pete almost could have killed me and the baby because of him.

“I almost lost it. I could have…” He started to say.

“It doesn’t matter. Pete you are going to be a dad.” I said smiling and putting my shirt on now.

Pete walked over and sat on the bed. I took his hand and placed it over my belly. “How long have you known?” He asked me.

“I found out through an over the counter test today. I’ve been sick the last few days. I knew I was late but pushed it aside when I thought I lost you. I made an appointment with my doctor two days from now.” I said looking at Pete and touching his face.

“I’m going to be a dad.” He said all proud. Maybe this will turn Pete around. “But I am a vampire.” He said getting up and away from me now.

“That doesn’t matter. My dad was one and he raised me until my mom died.” I replied. “Pete we can do this together. I am counting on you to help me with Kat. It is my job to train her and I can’t do it alone.” I said.

“I don’t want you fighting. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if something happened to you two.” He said.

“Pete it is my job. I’m the…” I said getting cut off.

“You are not a slayer anymore. You don’t have slayer strength to protect you or the baby. I don’t want you out fighting vampires.” Pete said. “That is an order.” He said trying to control me. I snapped out of it.

“It’s not working this time, Pete. You can’t control me. I have to protect the people in this city and train Kat. I will be alright.” I said not wanting to argue today.

The doorbell rang and I looked at my watch. It was almost six by now. Who could that be? Everyone wasn’t supposed to be here until later. As I got up to run downstairs, Pete yelled, “This argument is not over!”