How Dark Is the Night?

Early Arrivals and Food

I opened the door to see Patrick and Sam standing in front of me. I let them in and they gave me a hug. They also must have sensed I was hungry for they brought food.

“Ooh, food!” I said.

“Yes it’s food silly. We don’t want this baby to starve you are carrying.” Sam said laughing.

“Sam, keep it down. Pete isn’t supposed to know.” Patrick said holding a brown bag.

“It’s alright, Patrick. He knows now.” I said walking into the living room area.

“But we thought you weren’t going to tell him yet.” Sam said sitting on the couch.

“Well you see we made up after a fight then something happened. Patrick he is different. Pete isn’t like he was before. His eyes change and he has trouble controlling himself. He bit me again.” I said showing the newly opened wound.

“And you told him about the baby?” Patrick asked concerned.

“It was the only way to get him to respond and get off me.” I said. “Which now he is upset at himself. I am not mad at him, Patrick. He didn’t mean it. This new enemy vampire is nothing like Dracula. Pete said he became a vampire to protect me. It would be the only way to keep me safe since I wasn’t the slayer anymore but Patrick I am scared for him. And maybe I am a little scared for myself too, now. I never was afraid of Pete in the past when he was a vampire and I knew how to get through to him, but now I don’t know.” I said explaining things.

“I need to talk to him.” Patrick said.

“He wants to leave me. My husband wants to live with you guys. I am not happy but there is nothing I can do to get him to stay.” I said.

“Amanda, everything will work out. You and Pete belong together. As you two have told each other you two will find a way back to each other. As for your child, Pete will love it no matter what. I am glad you told him even if you didn’t want to right away or at that time.” Sam said sitting beside me.

“Hey guys.” Kat said walking in after swimming in the pool.

“Hi, Kat.” Sam said. There is some Chinese food for you and Amanda.

“Wow do you think you have enough?” Kat said opening the bag.

“Well with Amanda eating for two now and you here we wanted to make sure you guys had food.” Sam said looking at Kat.

“Why would Amanda be eating for two?” She asked staring at me as I made my way over to the food.

“I am pregnant, Kat.” I said.
“Whoa, wow!” She said excited. Wait, does that change things in training me?” She asked.

“No. I am still going to go out at night and during the day train you but so is everyone else.” I said grabbing me a plate full of chicken and broccoli with some lo mien noodles.

“Amanda is that such a good idea?” Patrick asked.

“Please don’t start on me too. Pete is already mad I won’t listen to him. I will be fine and so will the baby. It will be good exercise training her at your place as well. It will be like old times.” I said placing my arm around Patrick.

“I am worried that a vampire may hurt you though, hurting the baby.” Patrick said.

“Relax, I will be fine. I’m an old pro at killing vampires and I will let Kat or Pete handle the tough ones as well as Erelin now.” I said digging into my food.

“You are so stubborn, Amanda.” Patrick asked concerned about me and the baby.

“I know but my stubbornness has kept me alive, remember?” I said to Patrick not backing down. If my mother did it I can too.

“Speaking of Erelin, is she like this too?” Sam asked.

“She was confused at first but she finally remembered. And no, she isn’t as weird as Pete is acting but then again, Brendon took her home so that could have changed. We shall see tonight when everyone comes over.

“Well, I need to give this to Pete and have a chat with him.” Patrick said heading upstairs.

“What is that in the bag?” I asked.

“Blood.” He replied walking up the steps.

“Gross, I am eating!” I yelled.

“Thank you for the food, Sam.” Kat said.

“You are welcome.” She replied.

“So what are you going to name it?” Sam asked.

“I haven’t decided yet. I want a little Alex running around though. I thought that if it is a boy, Alexander; a girl, Alexandra.” I replied.

“Those are pretty names and it fits with Wentz. Alex Wentz.” She said laughing.

“I do not and will not have another Peter running around.” I said laughing.

“Oh, come on.” She said kidding. “This baby is so going to be loved. Nine months is a long time.” She replied.

“I know. I just hope I live that long and that we can defeat this new enemy before it is born. I want my child to know me and know I love them.” I said finishing my food.

“It will be. We won’t let anything happen to you.” Sam said hugging me.

“It is my promise too, Amanda. You are my watcher. I can’t lose another one.” Kat said.

“Thanks guys. Well, what do you say we crash the boys’ pep talk shall we?” I said picking up mine and Kat’s plates and putting them in the kitchen sink. Kat put the leftover food in the fridge.

“Sounds like a plan. Maybe Patrick has talked his excellent sense into Pete.” Sam said.