How Dark Is the Night?

Dreams Are Funny Things

“I am so proud of you.” I heard a woman’s voice say.

Wait a minute, I know that voice. I was back at the beach in Clearwater. My old home before I moved to L.A. I turned around to see none other than my mother.

“Mom?” I asked confused and looking around. I am dreaming. But how am I dreaming of her? I am not the slayer and I have never had dreams of mom. But I am not complaining.

“Mom!” I said running over to her and hugging her. She was exactly the way I remembered her. Everything was the same.

“Mom, I miss you so much.” I said tears starting to fall and not letting go of her.

“I know you do sweetie. I can’t stay long. I want you to not worry as much. You saved the world from Dracula and you avenged my death.” Mom said pulling away from me but standing in front of me still.

“How did I save the world if a new vampire is in town worst then Dracula? I’m not the slayer anymore. Kat, the girl I am training is now.” I said.

“Amanda you don’t even realize your full potential yet but you will. Things are going to get rough for a bit but don’t give up.” She said.

“What’s more then finding out your husband is a vampire again?” I said rolling my eyes.

“Hey, you have a wonderful child on the way and you and Pete are still connected. Hold onto that and never let it go. Your emotions keep you strong.” Mom said.

“If they keep me strong then why did you die? Wasn’t dad and me enough to help you?” I asked.

“Sweetie it was my time then. Besides if I hadn’t you might not have stopped Dracula. I am sorry things turned out the way they did for you. I wanted you to be normal and have a happy childhood away from the vampires.” Mom said as we walked along the beach together letting the sand sink between our toes as the tide started to come in.

“I’m scared, mom. I am in charge of training Kat and raising this baby. Pete is a vampire who I am afraid will leave me. He is going through something I don’t know if I can help him with. How did you and dad raise me all that time? He was a vampire.” I asked curious to know.

“We raised you very carefully. Trust me, Pete will know what to do when the time comes. He will do anything for you and the baby. Just be patient. But do take it easy with the fighting until you are ready.” Mom said turning towards me and hugging me again.

“Ready? What do I have to be ready for? Mom?” I asked after our long hug..

“I have already said too much. I love you never forget.” She said walking farther away from me now.

“Mom please don’t go. Don’t leave me. I need you.” I said trying to chase after her but failing.

“No, don’t leave me!” I said waking up like it was a nightmare and sitting up in the bed.

“Amanda, you were dreaming. Are you alright? Did you have a nightmare or something?” He asked sitting up and placing a hand on my back rubbing it.

“I’m fine. I don’t remember it.” I lied. I wasn’t ready to tell him the dream yet. I needed some time to gather my thoughts on the subject of what happened. Only slayers have dreams of their friends, loved ones, enemies and such like that. I am not a slayer so how and why did I dream of my mother? And what exactly does she mean by me being ready? What do I have to be ready for?