How Dark Is the Night?

The Watcher

(Kat’s POV)
The street I was on was dark with few cars and businesses on it. It had a couple streetlights on it and the businesses that were on this street either closed early or looked like sleazy dumps of bars. I took my time as I walked down Pierce Avenue. I was on guard as well.

As I was halfway down the street I stopped and turned around. Someone was following me. I knew exactly who it was. It was my mysterious guy who happened to be a vampire but one with a soul. I knew because I felt it just as I had known Erelin and Pete were good.

I smiled and said, “I can’t see you but I know you are there.” Show yourself.” I added.
Then I saw a figure emerge from out of the shadows. The moonlight illuminated a figure walking through the fog that was rolling in. It was my mystery vampire, who comes to check on me. How noble of him.

“So what is this? Are you just going to follow me every time I am alone?” I asked staring into the handsome and gorgeous face of my mystery guy as he approached me. However he did look so familiar to me.

“You shouldn’t be out here alone. You aren’t ready.” He said.

“I’m not ready, huh? Amanda thinks I am ready to be killing vampires on my own. I am not going to let her down. She is my watcher.” I said ticked that he said I wasn’t ready to be alone.

“Look, there is a vampire lunatic out to seek revenge against Dracula’s death. You are a target. You are a slayer. Amanda is a target too. She shouldn’t be out here even if she is with Pete which she should be careful of.” The mystery vampire said.

“Wait a minute here, mister. How do you know who Pete is or that Amanda is a target? I never said anything to give you information.” I said defensively.

“I know them.” He said.

“I don’t believe you.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Kat, I’m your watcher. I was sent to protect you and guide you.” He replied.

“Whatever. That is not possible. Elise, my watcher that died from the crazy vampire to save me, told me to find Amanda and that she was my watcher. Besides Nick, my cousin and a friend of Amanda’s would have told me in my dreams you were coming. I don’t trust you.” I said pulling out my stake. He may be good but that doesn’t mean he has an ulterior motive.

“Look, you want the truth or not?” He said frustrated.

“Spill before I put this stake in your heart.” I said angry.

“My, are we a feisty one? I see Amanda is rubbing off on you.” He said.

“Get to the point.” I said in a defensive stance not taking my eyes off him. He may be cute but still deadly.

“My name is Micah. I was in the band Hawthorne Heights. I was good friends with Pete and met Amanda as we toured with Pete’s band.” Micah said.

“I knew you looked familiar. I just couldn’t place you.” I said putting my stake down.

“I went to a party one night after Elise, your watcher was killed. It turned out that one of my so called friends was a vampire and lured me to not a party but a feeding party for vampires. Hence I was turned against my will and left somewhere. When I awoke everything was fuzzy at first. I ran into my other band mates who were shocked at what I had become. I slowly with their help started to remember bits and pieces of what had happened to me. As I fell asleep the next night I had a dream of you. I saw you. I knew I was to help you. So I came here to find you.” Micah explained.

“Then why is Amanda my watcher?” I asked confused.

“She can train you with all of her skills but she is like the big slayer and you are the little slayer. You know big sis, little sis?” Micah said.

“But Amanda isn’t the slayer anymore.” I replied a little confused.

“I am here to help you but her as well. I am concerned for her. I know she is pregnant.” Micah said.

“Oh and how do you know that?” I asked.

“Her mom told me. I think I understand now. Ex slayers and watchers who have died can come into your dreams and talk to you giving you bits of info here and there. At first I thought it was kind of creepy. I didn’t choose to be a vampire but it is something I have to live with.” Micah said.

“You still haven’t explained why you said she is like the big slayer. I said she isn’t the slayer anymore. Only me.” I said confused and wanting answers.

“Look, Kat, you just have to trust me. As much as Amanda is trying to help you, you need to help her. She is going to need it. This vampire that is out is very old. He was like Dracula’s brother and that is all I know. If we can kill him then there will be no more vampires and I can be normal again if I can survive.” Micah said trying to get me to trust him.

“That is what Nick told Amanda and look at where we are now.” I replied.

“Apparently Nick couldn’t tell everything. No one knows what their future is or where it lies.” He said.

“Amanda is going to be alright, right?” I asked.

“I can’t answer that. I don’t know.” Micah replied.
“Why is it I get the feeling that you are keeping something from me?” I asked wanting answers.

“Look out!” Micah said pushing me out of the way and taking a hit from a vampire.

I got up from the ground to see him fighting with the vampire that tried to attack me and then I was ambushed by two vampires. I fought them off, staking each of them. I went to turn around to see what Micah was doing to have him be thrown on top of me, knocking me back down onto the ground. The vampire getting away of course that did that.

“Sorry.” Micah said hovering over me.

“It’s alright.” I said trying to get up as he got up off me.

“You have pretty eyes.” He said staring deep into my eyes.

“Thanks, I guess.” I said pushing my hair behind my ears. “I better get back to Amanda to report in.” I said nervously. I know I shouldn’t feel this way but when Micah stares at me I want to melt. He makes me weak in the knees. Is this a vampire effect?

“Now that you know who I am does it calm you a bit?” Micah asked.

“Well, it is going to take some time to process this and trust you fully. Maybe after I talk to Amanda…” I said before getting cut off.

“No! Amanda or Pete shouldn’t know about me yet. No one should.” Micah said nervously. “At least not yet; I don’t want them to know right now.

“Ok have it your way but if something happens to any of my new friends I am telling them.” I said dusting myself off to look up to see Micah was gone.

That was very strange on how he disappeared so quickly. What a night. At least I now know who he is. Micah is very cute but I can’t have any feelings for him. I won’t allow it. I want to be happy but I barely know him and I don’t fully trust him yet. I will keep his secret for now but he is keeping something from me and I don’t like it. I will find out though. I will make it my mission. And I am going to have to ream Nick out for not telling me about him next time he decides to pop into my dreams.

I do have to admit, Micah certainly has nice eyes too. Ok, stop this right now, Kat. We need to keep it together and find Amanda and Pete. This can be saved for a journal update later.