How Dark Is the Night?

Shock Value

“Kat how did your slaying go?” I said as I stepped out of my car in my driveway.

“It went alright except for the eeriness I felt from the woods.” She said as I was trying to get the front door open of my house.

“Amanda, stay back!” Kat suddenly yelled.

I turned around to see five vampires swarm around me and Kat. How would they know where I lived? Volkmar must have sent them to follow me.

“Shit!” I said.

“What?” Kat said in front of me keeping her eyes on the vampires.

“Our weapons are in the car.” I said watching the vampires.

“I have a stake on me. I’ll stall and watch your back the best I can.” Kat said.

Kat went and started an attack bringing the vampires to her. One grabbed me as I ran to the car and I banged him into the car door as I opened it. He slumped down and I kicked him over away from me. I hopped inside pulling out some stakes when I was grabbed and pulled out by another vampire.

I turned and fought with all my might. If I there ever was a time I really needed Pete, now is an excellent time. I was knocked on the ground but I got up with a stake in hand that went flying out of my bag as I fell.

“Where did you guys come from?” I said fighting off my attacker and slamming him into my car. My poor car has taken so many beatings.

“We were sent from our boss to give you a warning.” The vampire I had said.

“Why come to our home?” Kat said to the vampire she was fighting.

“It was the easiest way to get you to listen.” That vampire said.

“You tell Volkmar I am not afraid of him and that I don’t take kindly to spying.” I said pushing the vampire I had away but instead of running he just stood there grinning.

“Kat?” I said backing up to her. “I think we were set up. We are in a trap.” I said noticing that as we killed three vampires, three more had come and taken their place. And on top of that they were all standing in front of us now laughing and grinning.

“What’s so funny?” Kat said. “I can so take you guys. What are you waiting for?” Kat said.
I had this bad feeling come over me. At that moment I knew we were in serious trouble. It was the same feeling I felt around Dracula and similar to what I felt by the woods. Volkmar was here.

“Kat, we are in trouble.” I said as I saw a figure emerge, walking in front of the bushes at the end of my driveway and then up the driveway towards us.

“Ahh, I see I have both slayers right where I want them.” Volkmar said as he approached me and Kat.

“We aren’t afraid of you! You killed my watcher!” Kat said pushing me back and heading towards Volkmar.

“Kat, no!” I yelled but it was no use. As she tried to stake him, she missed and he grabbed her and pushed her sending her flying into my car and knocking her unconscious from the force of her head hitting it.

“Now, that we are alone.” Volkmar said walking closer to me.

I fumbled with my key in the door trying to get it open but the key fell as I was jiggling it behind me to get inside. I tried to run but Volkmar was faster and he grabbed me. He had me by the neck and pushed me against the house.

“I have been waiting to get you alone.” Volkmar said.

“Why? Do you have a fascination with red heads?” I said trying to pry open his hands around my neck. He was definitely strong.

“Ah, we have ourselves a smartass.” He said. Then he whispered in my ear, “You killed my brother. I don’t take too kindly to that.”

Volkmar then threw me into my car. I was kind of stunned and feeling some slight pain. I got up ready to fight. I couldn’t run for I had no where to hide and I couldn’t leave Kat there.
I tried to attack him but he grabbed my right arm twisting it behind my back. I wasn’t about to let him win. I broke away from his grasp and fought with everything in me but I was tiring out.

Volkmar finally grabbed me and slammed me up against the wall of my house again. I was bruised and a bit battered. I was not giving up though.

“You know you have a funny name.” I said firing off my mouth. I learned never to show your fear so this is how I avoid that.

He then threw me on the concrete and kicked me hard. I got up and he grabbed me again. “You have such a mouth on you, but you will soon learn.” He said.
In that moment as he held me up again I saw rage inside his eyes. It frightened me. Not even with Dracula was I this afraid. I was in a deep load of trouble.

“So why don’t you kill me now and get it over with?” I barely got out as he held me by the neck. He leaned his face into me and kissed me then pulled back to talk.

“I want to drive you insane first. Take away everyone you love and care about and leave you vulnerable. I already turned two of your friends, one being your husband. How’s that working out for you?” Volkmar said laughing.

“Everything is actually peachy.” I replied.

“I want you wishing Dracula turned you. You thought you had it so easy. You can’t even fight back right. What are you a slayer on vacation?” Volkmar said laughing again.

There was something about his laugh. Maybe because of how evil he was. I was starting to let my fear show. It was coming from his eyes and the look he was forcing upon me.

“I can smell your fear. You see that boys, I think we are breaking her down. You haven’t seen the last of me. You know where we will meet again. You sense it. Do you also know it is your death? You will find me next week. And you know exactly where.” He said kissing my neck.

Volkmar was about to bite me but stopped. He gave me a look. Then he pulled my hair back.

“If you hadn’t killed my brother maybe I would have made you mine. Then we could have ruled the world together. Such a shame.” He said loosening his grip.

Then Volkmar turned on me and bit me. There was no sense in fighting back. He was too strong. He let go and I slid down against the wall leaning against my knees when I was at the bottom on the concrete.

“You have a week. You know where to find me.” He said then disappearing into the night.
Nothing else mattered. I can’t fight him. I’m not strong enough. I will die and no one can protect me this time. I’m not the slayer.

“Amanda?” Kat said waking up from being knocked out.

“Amanda!” She yelled once she came to and saw I was in a state of shock.

“Amanda what did he do?” She said but I couldn’t respond.

“Death. I’m dead in a week.” I kept repeating to her.

Apparently she grabbed my cell phone and called Pete because he came over in a hurry. He got out of his car and ran over to me. I didn’t hear much of what he and Kat were saying. Everything was a blur.

“Amanda, focus on me.” Pete said trying to get me to look at him but it was no use. I had no will to do anything. And he couldn’t control me anymore.

“Amanda, snap out of it!” Kat yelled.

“No! He bit her.” Pete said seeing my wound.

“I’m dead in a week.” I said to Pete before passing out from all the stress, shock, and sickness of what had happened.