How Dark Is the Night?

Get Out Of My Head

I woke up screaming in my own bed. I turned to see Pete beside me trying to touch me and calm me down but I pushed him away and crawled up to the head of the bed. I couldn’t get Volkmar out of my head. I heard his laugh and his voice. It was driving me mad.

“Amanda, look at me.” Pete said crawling in front of me.

“Don’t touch me. You can’t have me vampire. I will be dead and there is nothing you can do to stop it.” I said laughing at first then crying. I couldn’t control what I wanted to say and I couldn’t concentrate. Volkmar was in my head and he was screwing with my thoughts.

“She’s acting crazy.” Kat said.

“It’s from Volkmar. He wants to drive her crazy and she’s letting him win.” Pete said.

“Can’t you do anything to help her?” Kat asked worried about me.

“I would have to bite her again but she will fight me on it. Volkmar is controlling her.” Pete said so worried about me.

“Pete, do it.” I managed to say before screaming at him and Kat to leave me alone.

“Amanda, listen to me. Do you see this?” Pete asked holding my left hand in front of me. “This is your wedding ring. We took vows together for better or worse, remember? Look at me, Amanda.” Pete said.

I looked at my ring then at Pete. I saw his eyes, how worn out they were from worry with the dark circles. For better or worse was part of our vows. He was trying to get me to focus on him. We’ve been through worse.

I thought I lost him and he thought he’s lost me so many times in the past. I don’t want to be ripped apart again. I want to fight but I need help to win this battle.

My heart was winning this battle because of Pete’s determination and love. As I tried to focus on Pete, Volkmar’s voice and laugh were fading. I was trying to fight his control.
Pete pulled me close and I didn’t fight him off. “Make Volkmar stop in my head, please?” I whispered. “I don’t know how much longer I can fight him off.” I added.

“Close your eyes.” Pete said right before he kissed my forehead and then my lips. He slowly then kissed his way down to my neck. “Amanda you know I love you, right?” He asked.

“Yes.” I replied.

“And you trust me?” He asked.

“With all my heart I trust you.” I replied.

He took one more kiss before biting my neck harder than when he has in the past. My body shook a bit for reflexes and I let out a short cry of pain. I heard Volkmar no more in my head but from the previous bite and Pete’s I was left more drained than I was.

Pete let go, stopping himself from drinking anymore of my blood because he knew what would happen if he drank too much. But it seems he already had by accident. When he did let go I fell into his arms collapsing and I blacked out.