How Dark Is the Night?

To Save The Future, The Past Must Be Remembered

(Pete’s POV)
“Oh my, no!” Kat said. “Pete what did you do?” She yelled.

“Calm down. I think by me biting her so soon after Volkmar and with her carrying the baby her body made her shut down a bit. She needs to rest. Here she hopefully will get it with no images or nightmares of Volkmar. Hopefully when she gets up she won’t be as upset and she can tell us how she will be dead in a week so we can prevent it. I love her too much. If anyone has to die it will be me trying to kill Volkmar.” I replied as I laid Amanda down carefully.

“Here.” Kat said handing me a clean washcloth to wipe Amanda’s neck.

“Thank you, Kat.” I said.

“It gets harder every time I have to bite her for whatever reason but I fight my tendencies the best I can. I can’t lose her. Kat you may have read all of Amanda’s journals but you weren’t there when the events unfolded.

It is hard thinking you are going to lose the one person you love. I saw her almost die with
Natasha’s goons. Actually she did die. That was when you were supposed to be called but got sidetracked for whatever reason which wasn’t your fault.

When I heard and felt Amanda’s last breath, I was terrified. I thought this couldn’t be happening but then when you have no air to give her you feel helpless and powerless to do anything. I watched my friends do CPR on her to bring her back but then she died on the table at the hospital and came back by resuscitation.

When Dracula had her it nearly killed me. That’s why I am keeping my eye on her at all times from now on. Amanda was right. She does need me here with her but as of now that can’t happen.

Kat, I want you to pack all your bags. After tonight we are all living at Patrick’s. Hopefully he will forgive me but we have no other choice. Now that Volkmar knows where you two live, it changes everything. I will pack Amanda’s things.” I said getting off the bed and finding some duffel bags.

“You really do love her. I can see it now more then I could before. Pete, I promise Volkmar is not going to win. He won’t have me or Amanda.” She said heading to her room.

After I packed some bags I decided to call Brendon. I wanted him and Erelin over here for added protection just in case Volkmar tried anything. As the phone rang, Amanda actually looked peaceful in a deep sleep for once.

“Hello?” Erelin said picking up Brendon’s cell.

“Erelin, I know it is late but…” I said realizing sunrise was in a few hours.

“Look, Pete, I love you and all but I am kind of in the middle of something.” Erelin replied.

“Well, I apologize but Amanda needs your help. She was bitten by Volkmar and it is a long story but he knows where Amanda lives now which complicates everything.” I said calmly.

“What? Bitten? Who is Volkmar?” She replied upset.

I had to explain everything to Erelin who then would relay the message on to Brendon. After being on the phone for almost 45 minutes with Erelin, I decided I should walk downstairs and see if Amanda had any food once I got off the phone. I wanted to make Amanda something for when she woke up.

As I walked downstairs quietly I heard voices and felt a vampire presence. One of the voices was Kat but I couldn’t hear who the other one was but I know it was a vampire. What would

Kat be doing with a vampire? Could she be the traitor?

“What are you doing down here, Kat? Shouldn’t you be packing and trying to get some sleep?” I asked watching her facial expressions and her movements. I could tell when someone was lying to me by that and also the sound of their heart changing paces.

“Uh, I was but I needed air.” She replied pulling the sliding doors closed.

“You know the dangers of that. Volkmar could be out there or his men?” I said angry.

“I know. I am sorry it won’t happen again.” She said running upstairs.

I walked over to the doors and opened them. I stepped out onto the patio and looked around. Someone was here and my instinct says it was a vampire. Kat was hanging with an enemy?