How Dark Is the Night?

Who Needs Worry Lines When I Got You?

(Pete’s POV)
“Amanda!” I said covering myself as I had just walked into the bedroom.

“I’m sorry!” She said throwing the curtains to quickly.

“It’s all right.” I replied looking at her as she sat back down on the bed.

“I wanted to see the sunrise.” Amanda replied looking paler than usual and having dark circles under her eyes.

“I’m glad to see you are up.” I said sitting down beside her. “How are you feeling?” I asked.

“I’m tired, hungry, and my head feels much better because of you.” She said reaching over to kiss me good morning.

“Do you remember anything at all?” I asked.

“Everything is a little blurry. I remember getting bitten by Volkmar and that he was in my head, then I remember you biting me and that’s about it.” She said shrugging her shoulders.

“You don’t remember what Volkmar said to you?” I asked prodding to see if she remembered but was being mum on everything.

“No. But from the look on your face it was bad whatever happened?” She asked.
I held her hand and kissed. “You said you would die in a week. Volkmar told you. He fought you and hurt you. He then told you this and got into your head making you crazy for a bit.” I said trying to get her to remember any important viable information.

“No wonder I feel bruised and sore this morning.” She replied.

“You don’t remember anything?” I asked again.

“No other than being hurt and sore.” She said rubbing her shoulder. “So he told me I was going to die in a week?” She asked.

“Yes. Lay down here on the bed and close your eyes. I want you to try and remember what happened last night.” I said.

“What if I don’t want to? I mean I am happy now. I am not upset and Volkmar isn’t in my head making me crazy. I feel different and calm because of you.” Amanda said smiling and sitting on the bed.

“Please?” I asked.

“Fine.” She said rolling her eyes and lying down on the bed. I sat beside her and held her hand as she closed her eyes.

“Try and think about last night and hopefully the events will come to you.” I said.

“Kat and I were ambushed. Volkmar knocked Kat out and I tried to fight him off. He had me and threw me into my car and up against the wall of the house. I tried to get in the house but my key fell. I remember him grabbing me by the neck a few times.” She said with her voice starting to change.

“He told me that he wanted to drive me insane first. He wanted to take away everyone I loved and cared about to leave me vulnerable. Volkmar wanted me to wish Dracula turned me. And he picked up on how I am not as strong as a slayer should be but he didn’t figure it out that I wasn’t. There was something about his laugh. Maybe because of how evil he was. I started to let my fear show. The fear came from seeing his eyes and the look he was forced upon me.” Amanda said with her hand shaking as I held it.

“Pete, don’t make me finish. I don’t want to recall any more.” Amanda said.

“Amanda I have you. He can’t harm you right now. We need to know what he said to you so we can protect you. I am not losing you and nor do I want to.” I said squeezing her hand.

“Volkmar said he could smell my fear. He also said he was breaking me down. I would know where to meet him again and I would find him next week. Then he kissed my neck. Volkmar was about to bite me but stopped. He gave me a look. Then he pulled my hair back.” Amanda said pausing as if reliving what was happened to her again.

“Then Volkmar turned on me and bit me. I felt that there was no sense in fighting back. He was too strong. He let me go and I slid down against the wall leaning against my knees when I was at the bottom on the concrete. Then he repeated that I had a week and knew where to find him.” Amanda said opening her eyes and sitting up grabbing her neck.

I saw how scared Amanda was becoming again. Her whole mood changed from being calm and happy to being scared. I had never seen her, this afraid before. He did break Amanda down.

“Pete, nothing else matters now. I can’t fight him. I’m not strong enough. I will die and no one can protect me this time. I’m not the slayer. He was in my head telling me over and over I would die last night. I feel he violated me somehow just because he could get in my head and hear my thoughts.” She said getting up.

“Amanda do you know where you will meet him next week?” I asked her slipping my arms around her as she had her back turned to me. She paused for a bit and I knew then that she did know.

“No.” She replied but I knew better.

“Amanda, please tell me. No secrets, remember?” I told her.

“No, I don’t know. He was mistaken.” She said not turning around to face me. “Why are all these bags out here with my things in them?” She asked changing the subject.

“After tonight, you will be living with me at Patrick’s. It isn’t safe for you and Kat to stay here.” I said.

“Oh my goodness. What about Kat? Is she alright? I went nuts last night.” Amanda said getting ready to go check on her but I pulled her back.

“Amanda, she is fine. She had a few cuts and bruises but will heal. She heals fast, remember?” I said checking out Amanda’s bruises.

“Yeah, unlike me.” Amanda said glumly.

“Hey, look at me.” I said pulling her to me. “I won’t let anything happen to you, I promise. I should have been here for you. I should have stayed. Me leaving here was not a good idea, but I thought it was best if we had some space with me not being able to fully control my vampire urges.” I said.

“Can you just hold me right now?” She asked.

“Yes. I would love that.” I said smiling.

“Peter Wentz, when you smile, you make me want to believe everything will be fine.” She said smiling back at me. “You have a beautiful smile when you aren’t too worried about me.” She said sighing. I knew she was troubled about last night still after I made her remember everything. Why won’t she tell me what she is hiding?

“Here is the deal. I want you with a group at all times during the day. I want you with me or Erelin at night if you patrol with Kat.” I said.

“What? Someone with me during the day is a little extreme don’t you think?” I asked.

“No. He could have human spies like Dracula used your friend Brian.” I warned her. I knew how she felt about Brian and Leigh Anne. She actually hasn’t spoken to them since that day.

“Well at the Halloween Party next week everyone will be there so you don’t have to worry.” I said.

“You aren’t going.” I said putting my foot down.

“What? I already bought my costume.” She said pulling away from me upset.

“You will have to take it back.” I said.

“I will not. I am going with or without you. I was going to ask you what you were going to be but I see you are going to be a party pooper.” Amanda replied.

“It isn’t safe. It is Halloween you know.” I said.

“Relax. It is a party and Volkmar isn’t invited. Besides as I said everyone will be there to protect me.” She said. “Please come. You are my husband. We can just run through the red carpet crap since you can’t take pictures.” Amanda said laughing.

“Maybe. What are you going to be?” I asked.

“Elvira, Mistress of The Dark.” She replied.

“Kinky. Then maybe I will go after all.” I said grinning at the thought at seeing her in the skimpy outfit.

“I think I am going to shower and take these bloody, stained clothes off and slip into something comfortable.” Amanda said getting out a new outfit to wear out of a bag I packed for her.

“I am so hungry too.” She replied.

“Erelin and Brendon are downstairs so be careful when you head down there.” I warned laughing.

“But I didn’t have any curtains up yet.” She said.

“Yeah, well they went out and got some when I told them to come over during the night.” I said.

“Oh. Well then, let’s have a party.” She said laughing. “I hope you didn’t interrupt them from anything. You know I would have been fine.” I said.

“I know but I wanted the extra security.” I said.

“Ooh, one big, bad ass vampire of a husband isn’t good enough to protect me, huh?” She said making fun of me.

“Very funny.” I replied.

“Amanda, Kat…” I started to say but then stopped. Now, is not a good time to tell her of my suspicions of Kat possibly working for the enemy. I had no proof yet exactly; just overhearing her talk to a vampire presence I had felt.

“What about Kat?” Amanda asked me as she stepped into the bathroom.

“Nothing. I just wanted to say she will be happy to know that you are up and well.” I lied.

“Oh.” She said turning on the shower.

Somehow a shower sounded good right now. I think I will surprise Amanda and join her. After all I am her husband and Amanda needs some good distractions right now. Who says that Erelin and Brendon should have all the fun?