How Dark Is the Night?

Minutes To Midnight

“Pete, stop!” I said breaking up the fight between Pete and Micah. “He’s good!” I yelled seeing other party goers around us stop and look at us.

“Micah is my watcher.” Kat said standing beside me now.

“Guys, now isn’t the time to yell at each other. There are other people staring at us.” Brendon said.

We all quietly walked over by Bev’s office and stood in front of it to talk away from the party guests. I looked at Micah then I stared at Pete hoping they wouldn’t go after each other again. I also wondered how I knew Micah was a vampire and a good one at that considering I have no slayer abilities anymore.

“Kat you better talk and do it now.” Pete said.

“Pete, don’t be mad at her. I told her not to tell any of you because I wanted to tell you myself tonight when Kat invited me here to this party.” Micah said.

“Micah, how did you become like this?” I asked.

“Pretty much in a nutshell went to a party, got bitten, became a vampire and had a dream of Kat. In the dream I was to find her and train her. Every time she has been out alone I have been there with her.” Micah said summing up what had happened to him.

“But I also have to look out for you if you need my help.” He said.

“Why would you need to do that?” I asked.

“She has me and Erelin. She doesn’t need any more protecting.” Pete said a little jealous that he wasn’t the only good vampire besides Erelin around.

“Pete, that’s enough!” I said shaking my head.

“Kat, can I talk to you alone?” Pete asked.

“Ok?” She asked following Pete away from us.

“At least you are on our side.” Brendon said patting Micah on the back.

“Yeah.” He said looking over at Kat and it was then I saw that Micah had some sort of feelings for Kat much like Pete had feelings for me when we first met. It was in his eyes. They told me everything.

“Micah, welcome to the team.” Erelin said hugging Micah.

“Thanks.” He replied. He definitely was cute that was for sure.
Erelin and Brendon can you leave us alone for a minute or two?” I asked.

“Sure. We will just head downstairs and find the others. Besides I am sure Patrick wants to hurt Andy by now from wearing that suit and someone will need to break it up.” Erelin said laughing.

“Micah, how long have you been like this?” I asked.

“It happened right after Elise was killed, I was turned.” He said.

“Amanda, I have to tell you that you need to be careful. You have the baby to think about. You need to focus.” Micah said warning me.

“Oh?” I replied sitting on the bed display as we walked over there.

“I am here to watch you too.” He said.

“I’m not the slayer so Kat is the one you need to help.” I said sighing.

“Do you miss being the slayer? Kat and I have talked.” Micah said sitting beside me.

“You talk to her a lot when I let her patrol alone, huh?” I asked kidding. “I think maybe you have some feelings for Kat?” I asked.

“Kat is just my friend who I will protect at any cost.” He said blushing and turning away.

“I see. Well in response to your question I do sort of miss it.” I replied.

“How so?” He asked.

“When I was the slayer all I could think about was to be normal and now that I am normal again knowing what I know and seeing vampires out there its rough not being the slayer and having all my abilities; mainly not being able to heal fast enough.” I said.

“Amanda you just need to…” Micah went on to say before Pete interrupted him.

“There you are!” Pete said pulling me off the bed and giving Micah a look. They were friends once but I am getting a sense that Pete doesn’t trust Micah fully yet.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I just want to take my gorgeous wife back downstairs and dance with her.” Pete replied pulling me away from Micah.

I looked over at Kat who shrugged her shoulders then sat next to Micah. I hope it works out for the two of them. But they won’t be anything like Pete and me.

Pete and I danced before he broke the silence between us. “I had a talk with Kat. She likes him and trusts him and I am worried.” Pete replied.

“Oh, I get it. You are jealous you may not be my only knight in shining armor but on top of that you feel as if Kat is your baby sister and Micah is taking her away from you, right?” I asked laughing.

“Well, it was, is, my job to protect and watch out for her. It’s hard to see my little Kat growing up with out needing me.” Pete said.

“Oh, Pete.” I said rolling my eyes.

We danced for a little more then I looked at my watch to see that it was almost eleven. No. It was time for me to say my final goodbyes to all my friends because where I was going I wasn’t sure I would make it out alive. If only someone could stop me, but they can’t.

I pulled Pete into a long kiss. Then I whispered in his ear, “I love you.” He kissed me back and said it back to me making me smile. I told him I needed to talk to Bev and the others that I would be back even though I wouldn’t be. I stared at him one last time before making my rounds in goodbyes although I didn’t exactly tell my friends that. Then, I went to the back into the storage area and took off my wig and snuck out the receiving entrance.

I managed to sneak past security and made it to my car. Once I got the keys from the valet, I popped open the trunk revealing my weapons bag. I pulled it out and out it in the passenger seat. Next stop was the woods of Lookout Pointe. And I was to be there minutes before midnight.

Pete’s kiss and touch played into the back of my mind. Would I see him again? Then I had to tell myself I was doing this for the survival of my friends. I was doing this for my future and to rid the world of vampires by defeating Volkmar. I had no slayer strength and I was under his control slightly. But could I really do it?