How Dark Is the Night?

You Can't Keep A Good Slayer Down

“Sweetie, wake up. You are going to be late.” Mom said.

“Just five more minutes please?” I mumbled rolling over in my bed.

“Come on you have a job to do.” Nick said shaking my legs that were warm under the covers.

“I don’t want to. Can’t I sleep just a little longer?” I said groggily.

“Amanda you have people counting on you.” Dad said.

“Yeah, yeah. I want to stay here with you.” I said rolling back over to face them but squinting my eyes to the light of my room.

“You can’t. You are needed elsewhere. Your baby needs you and so does your husband. You have a long fight ahead of you.” Mom said sitting on the end of my bed as I finally sat up.

“Baby?” I asked.

“Just remember we are here when you need us.” Nick said placing his hand on my chest over my heart.

“Thank you.” I smiled remembering now what I was supposed to do. I was back to stop Volkmar and I was going to have a long road ahead of me to do so. Even though I was dreaming I felt my hand twitch and another hold onto it. I was waking up and I could feel Pete hold onto me.

“Wish me luck?” I said seeing mom, dad, and Nick fade away around me.

“Good luck.” I heard Nick say.

(Pete’s POV)
I was alone in Amanda’s room. Everyone else was camped out in the waiting room or had gone home just long enough to change and grab some food. Patrick had went out and brought me a bag full of the liquid I needed but I just couldn’t drink it right away. I had lost my appetite.

The doctors had come out and told us when Amanda was out of surgery and that she was stable. The baby was fine and wasn’t really old enough to have any damage yet except from Amanda’s blood loss. She was given a transfusion and her left lung was punctured but they stopped the bleeding and fixed her lung. They also told me that they almost lost her on the operating table.

The head doctor said that they had never seen anything like it. I was hooked up on all kinds of tubes and monitors but amazingly started breathing on my own and had a turn around after I almost had died. I wanted to believe that Amanda was fighting with everything in her. She was a slayer once. Maybe that did it. Maybe, just maybe her slaying abilities never left her but laid dormant.

I pulled up a chair and sat by her bedside. It was dark in the room the way I needed it to be. The curtains and blinds were closed to keep daylight out considering how long Amanda was in surgery and still unconcious. The only light was the one above her bed.

I looked at her face all bruised knowing it would heal but didn’t know when considering that I wasn’t sure if or when her abilities would kick in again. Her body was so fragile when I held her earlier. I knew that when she woke up she was going to be in pain and then the doctors would give her more medicenes to make her loopy. But at least she would be getting better here.

I touched her cheek and kissed her forehead. I then traced her lips. My dead heart can’t stand this pain. I want her to be happy. I want her to be healthy and laughing and smiling at me again. Just to hear her voice would make me happy again.

Why couldn’t she tell me? I thought we were stronger but I guess every couple has their weak moments. I would have protected her and kept her safe and away from Volkmar.

“Please, Amanda. Wake up.” I said. “We need you.” I said placing my hand over Amanda’s stomach. The baby was only a few weeks old but yet still it needed it’s mom to survive. I guess Amanda fought hard for it as well.

“You knew you couldn’t give up, didn’t you?” I whispered in Amanda’s ear.

Then, I laid my head down on her shoulder. I told Amanda I loved her and to wake up. As if she heard me her hand moved and twitched. I grabbed it and held it.

“That’s it Amanda, wake up!” I said kissing her lips as she squeezed my hand tight.

Patrick walked into the room with Sam. “How is she?” He asked.

“I need a nurse or a doctor. I think Amanda is waking up from her coma. She squeezed my hand!” I yelled excitedly.

Sam ran out to get someone and tell the others the news. Amanda opened her eyes and then shoved my hand away. She grabbed her stomach then winced in pain as she tried to get up.

“Oww, what the hell? Pete get away from me. I can’t take this right now.” She said sort of groggily and in pain from her wound.

“But your alive and you are awake now!” I said confused.

“I love you Pete but if you come near me I will kill you!” She yelled as the nurses and doctors came in.

“Come on, Pete. Let the doctors do their jobs.” Patrick said trying to drag me out of the room.

“But, but.” I said.
I saw Amanda look frustrated and a look of hurt on her face as I stepped out of the room. Then I figured it out. She was back to her old self. She was the slayer again and she was getting used to her powers. She wasn’t mad or angry at me.

As Patrick dragged me into the waiting room everyone was demanding answers. All I could do was smile. My love was back and Volkmar was not going to know what hit him now, because my feisty, strong willed, stubborn wife had her true self back. And I liked it.