How Dark Is the Night?

My Friend The Vampire

“So what is exactly going on? How are you the slayer again?” Erelin asked. “I mean you aren’t going to kill me are you?” She asked worried.

“No, silly. It’s just that I was overwhelmed. I am trying to get used to my vampire sense again. I had you, Micah, and Pete, all in the same room at one time. It was overpowering me. I know you guys are good but that feeling was not kicking in at the moment, just you guys as vampires.” I said trying to explain things.

“As for being the slayer again, I was always the slayer. According to Beckett…” I started to say.

“Wait, did you say Beckett as in your ghost Beckett?” Erelin asked confused. “I thought William Beckett was after you.” She replied.

“Apparently he was trying to warn me about Volkmar and to help me unbury my slayer abilities. They went dormant for awhile after Dracula according to him, because I deserved to be happy for a little while. But they never resurfaced and I believed that I wasn’t the slayer for so long because I never started to show signs until recently.

Anything that happened to me recently such as my dreams or like me knowing when Micah walked into the party last night I didn’t believe were my abilities returning and so I kept them buried if that makes sense. I knew things about Volkmar. That is why I was so afraid of the woods at Lookout Pointe. I knew I was to fight him there only it was in my subconcious.” I said wincing in pain as I tried to get comfortable.

“Are you alright?” Erelin asked seeing me in pain.

“Yeah. It’s just that my meds are starting to kick in but they are acting slow. I am getting sleepy but still having pain.” I said laughing but holding my side as I did.

“Now that I know I am the slayer again, Volkmar is going down. I am not afraid of him and I think he thinks I must be dead. But I have a request of you.” I said knowing I could trust Erelin.

“What is it?” She asked.

“It’s Kat. She is having a hard time with me being the slayer again. I don’t understand. She thinks I am replacing her or something. I don’t know. But I do know that we cannot afford to have Volkmar hurt her. He told me that once I was gone he was coming for her. We can’t let that happen.” I said.

“Amanda, you know I or anyone else won’t let that happen. Now I know why she took off down the hall. But don’t worry; Micah chased after her.” Erelin said sighing.

“Erelin, you don’t understand. You don’t know what I know and it scares me.” I said starting to shake and remember what Dracula told me before I killed him.

“Amanda, what is it? You have me worried about her and you now.” Erelin said giving me a worried look.

“If Volkmar gets his hands on her and he turns her, I don’t think we can stop him or her. She is a slayer and you mix that with the bad vampire that takes over, then she is pretty much unstoppable. She would know all of our moves and help destroy humans with Volkmar.

Remember what Dracula’s plan was for me? That is what he wants with Kat. Volkmar wanted the same for me but he knew I wouldn’t allow it and his revenge for his brother was what he wanted most for me. Kat is young and vulnerable. I am really worried. She is still new at this.” I said sighing.

“Amanda, have you told anyone else this?” Erelin asked concerned for me.

“No. I really didn’t have time to, not even Pete but I needed to get it off my chest. Beckett warned me that I needed to save two people and that one of my friends would hurt me. He also said that I would know what to do when the time comes. Do you think Kat will be the one to hurt me?” I asked.

“I don’t think so. I mean she has taken up for you and protected you when you thought you weren’t the slayer. She is smart. I think you are over thinking things. But I promise that Brendon and I will watch her closely and tell Micah to keep his eye on her too. Try not to dwell on it too much.” Erelin said.

I nodded my head. “On a lighter note, I am having a girl.” I said proudly.

“A girl? How do you know?” She asked excitedly.

“I just do. And also no matter how I get hurt, the baby will be fine. She will be protected so no need to worry about her if I get my ass handed to me in a fight.” I said laughing.

“That is not funny. Besides with you going back to your stubborn ways, you will kick ass. I know you too well for you to let a vampire do that.” She said laughing.

“Alexandra Wentz. She is going to have so many aunts and uncles who are going to spoil her.” I said.

“That is a pretty name. Do you have a middle name yet?” Erelin asked.
“No, but thank goodness I wasn’t having a boy just yet. I was not having a fourth in the family.” I said laughing.

“Oh, Amanda.” Erelin said rolling her eyes. “Well, I am going to send Pete back in. It is almost daylight and I have to get. Permission for a hug? I mean you aren’t like secretly going to stake me with your tv remote or something are you?” She said joking.

“Yeah, I’m so going to do that to my friend.” I said rolling my eyes. “Come here.” I said sitting up slowly for a hug.

“Get better soon.” She said laughing.

“You wait. Two days and I am out of here.” I said with her shaking her head at me as she walked out the door.