How Dark Is the Night?

Don't Piss The Slayer Off!

(The Next Day)
Pete had another nightmare and he refuses to tell me about them. I already know them but it would be nice for him to trust me with what he is feeling right now. He has been doing his best to smile and cover up his true feelings.

Today is the day I hopefully can go home. I am feeling stronger and not as weak and I still have pain when I move around but that is to be expected. I may be the slayer but I went through a major ordeal worse then I ever had and it will take a few more days or week to fully heal. I know my limitations and its killing me because I want to go out and slay.

“Well, Mrs. Wentz how are we feeling today?” The doctor asked finally coming in to check on me.

“She thinks she can go home doctor but I told her I didn’t think she was ready.” Pete said.

“Pete. I am ready. I can rest at home. Home is where I belong.” I said a little pissed.

“Going by all your tests and blood work you are healing up nicely. But you are healing at an excelerated rate I have never seen before. Your wound is almost completely healed whereas in most patients that type of wound would take a week or two. The baby is alright and if you are feeling up to it then I can’t keep you here although I would like to.” The doctor said examining me.

“Oh that is great news!” I said smiling and sticking my tongue out at Pete.

“I do prefer that she gets bed rest and doesn’t do any heavy lifting or a lot of moving around to pop those stitches.” The doctor said to Pete.

“I will see to it she doesn’t strain herself and rests as much as possible.” Pete said being a party pooper.

“Alright then. I will have the nurse pull up your papers to check out and then you should be ready to go.” He said. “I suggest that in a week you visit your family doctor for a check up.” The doctor added.

“I will do.” I said. “Thanks.” I added as the doctor left.

“I don’t think you should be leaving just yet.” Pete said.

“Why? I am ready to. I know I am, Pete. And I will play the good little wife and not lift things and work out and such. But I can’t stay in bed all day. What fun is there in that?” I asked.

“It just isn’t safe for you to be home just yet.” Pete said getting frustrated at me.

“Oh, and why wouldn’t it be safe for me to be at home, Pete?” I asked pushing Pete to get him to tell me what is on his mind.

“You can be protected better here is all.” Pete replied looking away from me.

“Who do I need to be protected from Pete? Volkmar thinks I am dead.” I said.

“Look, you got your way. Can we just drop this arguement?” He asked pissed.

“Fine.” I said getting up and trying to get my clothes out of the little closet that Sam had brought over last night for me.

“Fine.” He said watching me about to bend over to get my shoes out. “Here, let me get those for you.” He said rushing over but was too late.

“Ouch that hurts.” I said after I bent over to pick them up and nearly fell back onto the bed.

“I told you I would get them but you are too stubborn. What did the doctor tell you?” Pete said a bit worried for me now.

“What do you care?” You are the one pissed at something so maybe I should do everything on my own. I did for all of the seven years I was a slayer and didn’t know it!” I said pissed and in pain.

“Look, I will call Patrick and see if he can get us.” Pete said whipping out his phone and taking off down the hall.

“What is wrong with you Pete?” I said sitting on the bed.

(Patrick’s POV)
I helped get Amanda into the car and then Pete. I had to use a blanket to cover him since it was early in the day. There was a silence between them today that I could not understand.
When we arrived home, I made sure Pete was in first then Amanda because she knew as well as I did that getting Pete out of the sun was a first priority. I helped her inside then went back out to carry her bags in. Sam had went to drop Kat off for her first day of work. She was excited about that.

When I came in I saw Pete downing two bags of blood which I have never seen him do before. Amanda was on the couch studying him. Pete hadn’t noticed her watching him. When he was done she got up slowly and walked over to the weapons.

“Um, Amanda, I don’t think it is a good idea for you to be doing that.” I said knowing that what little Pete did say in the car was that Amanda needed to rest.

I watched her take a stake and throw it into the kitchen just barely missing Pete’s head. It landed on one of the cabinets and Pete pulled it out. He gave Amanda this deathly stare. Something got into these two.

“I’m heading upstairs in the guest bedroom to watch tv up there.” She said walking slowly and carefully up each step.

When Amanda was gone, I walked over to Pete. “What the hell happened to you two?” I asked pissed.

“Nothing.” Pete said looking away at me.

“If it is nothing then why did she throw a stake at you almost missing your head?” I asked pressing the issue.

“I don’t think she should have left the hospital early and so she got mad at me.” He replied but I knew better. Pete was leaving something out.

“A little advice. Don’t piss the slayer off. I just installed those new cabinets a month ago.” I said taking the stake and walking over to put it back where it belonged.

“I am going upstairs to do some writing.” Pete said heading upstairs.

“Good, while you are at it apologize to Amanda.” I said.

“I’m not until she does!” He said storming up the steps like a four year old. I just sighed and shook my head.