How Dark Is the Night?

Problems Of The Heart

I ended up getting bored watching tv in the guest bedroom upstairs so I decided I wanted to make dinner for Sam, Patrick, Kat, and me. I was hungry and I know I am supposed to be on bedrest but I just can’t. That isn’t me. I have to do something then sit in bed all day. Besides, as long as I wasn’t doing anything to strain or hurt myself again, what was a little cooking going to do?

I walked by Pete’s room. He had his door closed. I thought about knocking on it and apologizing for almost taking his head off earlier, but I figured he was still in one of his moods. So I walked downstairs to see Patrick and Sam making out on the couch.

“Ok, gross much. There is a thing called a room you know.” I said rolling my eyes and pretending to shield them.

“Hey, you aren’t supposed to be up, missy. The doctor gave his orders.” Sam said getting up.

“Yeah, but when do I ever listen?” I said laughing. “Acutally I am hungry and I thought about making dinner for everyone. I can’t stay in bed all day and cooking isn’t going to hurt me guys.” I said as I went looking for something to make in the pantry.

“Kat won’t be eating with us. Micah is picking her after her first day of work tonight. He wants to take her out slaying.” Patrick said.

Sam and I both looked at him and rolled our eyes. “Right, like that is so what they are going to do.” Sam said.

“Well, they could be.” He replied.

“I guess she’s still mad at me because she thinks I am taking her job away from her. At least she will be with Micah. But if I know them and I know how me and Pete were they aren’t going to be slaying the whole night.” I said laughing.

I made dinner with Sam’s help while Pete stayed upstairs all evening long. We left some for Sam in case she was hungry when she came in from slaying. After Sam and I did dishes and cleaned up after supper, we grabbed Patrick who was working on some new music. Sam wanted to play Scategories.

After a few rounds it was getting late. I was also getting wore out from being up on my feet for a long time. My body was still recuperating. I told my friends goodnight and headed upstairs. I walked over to my bedroom with Pete and stopped again.

I decided to head back to the guest room and sleep there. I was too tired and sore to have a fight with Pete tonight. I climbed in the bed and fell asleep, but not before wondering if Pete and I were going to be ok. I just had this feeling that something was brewing. I just wish that Pete would tell me what is bothering him instead of keeping it inside and making things worse. Then again, maybe I should confront him with what I know.

(Pete’s POV)
I stayed in my room most of the day. I wanted to make sure that Amanda got some rest and I was still a little ticked at her from earlier. But it was now late and she still hadn’t came up to our room to sleep.

I got up off the bed and turned off my laptop. I was back to warning the world of vampires again without them thinking I was crazy. It was definitely weird to be doing this again after we had thought we defeated all the vampires months ago.

I opened my door and stuck my head out. I saw and heard no Amanda although I could hear Patrick working on some new music and Sam downstairs laughing at him for something he had said. But I knew Amanda wasn’t with them. She was still in the guest room I assume.

I walked over to I what I think used to be Andy’s room. I gently knocked on the door but she didn’t answer me. I guess she was still mad at me. I opened the door slowly, afraid to be lectured or a fight to start but there was none.

Instead I saw Amanda, curled up in the bed holding a pillow. She must have cried herself to sleep because her mascara had ran a bit. I gently picked her up, careful not to hurt her side, and carried her to my bed.

I laid Amanda on her side of the bed and crawled into the bed beside her. I watched her sleep and take each breathe. I almost lost her. I didn’t want to lose Amanda again but something is going on with me that I can’t explain. It is something I am struggling with and am trying to fight.

Am I the one who is going to hurt or possibly kill Amanda? These dreams I have get worse and violent and the vampire in me wants to come out more and more each day. Amanda thought she could help me control it but I am afraid I am slipping. What happens if I do? Does that mean my dreams will become reality?

“Where are you Beckett? I need you to explain yourself better.” I said sighing and remembering what he had told me.

I finally took one more look at Amanda and heard her heartbeat. Pretty soon I could probably pick up on the heartbeat of my child with my hearing sense. I am trying to fight to be myself and protect you two. I feel something is stirring, however.

I eventually drifted off to sleep but not before being afraid that I would have that dream again. I had grabbed Amanda’s hand before I got comfortable to sleep. It’s funny how I get more sleep as a vampire then when I did alive.