How Dark Is the Night?

The Divide

I woke up to find it was around two am. I hadn’t been asleep long; maybe a few hours. As my eyes adjusted to the dark I saw I was not in the guest bedroom. I was in Pete’s room. He must have been missing me and saw I was asleep so he put me here.

I looked over to find him sleeping. His hand was laying on my stomach. I smiled. I started to hurt from my injuries so I got up tp take some pain medicene.

“What am I going to do with you, Pete?” I said in a whisper as I came back to bed.

I crawled into bed carefully and kissed him on his cheek. I shut my eyes and prepared for the pain medicene the doctors prescribed to kick in. I laid there restless however until Pete started to stir in his sleep. He began tossing and turning and the next thing I knew, I fell asleep and straight into his dreams.

I saw the same dream I had seen before. I wanted to run over to him and stop him from hurting dream me but something always prevents me from doing it. He never hears or sees that I am in his dream watching. Then I went into my own dream and woke up after what my dream consisted of. It was me without Pete around. He was gone and that scared me.

“Pete?” I said as I sat up in bed.

“Go back to sleep.” He said as my eyes adjusted to the dark room. The only light that was in the room was from the streetlight outside of Pete’s room shining in through the window.

“Wait, what are you doing?” I asked as I saw he was packing some bags.

“I’m leaving.” He said as I got up out of the bed and turned on a light.

“Leaving? Why are you leaving?” I asked worried.

“I can’t stay here.” Pete said throwing more clothes in some duffle bags.

“Pete, what is wrong? Just tell me.” I said grabbing his arm.

“Amanda, I can’t right now. I can’t tell you anything until I figure some things out.” He said shrugging me off his arm.

“I know about your dreams you have been having Pete. This is why you have been acting short with me.” I blurted out.

“How do you know what I have been dreaming?” He asked grabbing me forcefully and pulling me close to me.

“Pete, you are hurting me.” I said as he held my arms.

“How do you know about my dreams?” He repeated shaking me.

“I saw it the first night I was in the hospital. You somehow dragged me into your dream. I tried to stop you but you couldn’t hear me or see me for some reason. I didn’t want to say anything because I was hoping you would talk to me about it. Then I saw it again tonight as you had it before I went into a dream of my own. I am scared more of my dream then yours Pete. You not with me scares me more then anything.” I said looking in his eyes. Pete pulled away from me.

“I have to leave. It is for the best. I can’t hurt you or the baby. I am becoming a monster and I can’t always control it. You have tried to help me contain it but the vampire in me isn’t letting me win this time and I am afraid one night I will kill you just like in my dreams without a care. Beckett told me someone would hurt you and that someone is me.” Pete said turning around.

“Beckett didn’t mean you, Pete. He told me that someone would hurt me too. I know you. You won’t hurt me. You aren’t the one. You love me enough and I know better. I trust you and I love you. Don’t leave because of what he said. He didn’t mean you. I am not afraid of you, Pete. I never will be.” I said pulling him around to see he had his fangs out. He pulled me close to him again.

“Dreams can come true you know. I am leaving. Look at me. This is for the best.” He said looking in my eyes trying to control me.

“Dreams don’t always come true. You can’t use your mind games on me.” I said.

“Fine. I want a divorce. I am not risking your safety.” He said not giving up.

“No.” I said shaking my head and about to cry from what he had said.

“I’m leaving and that is that.” Pete said grabbing his bags.

“Where are you going to go?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” He said.

“So you are just going to pick up and leave your family and friends? Why don’t you tell them that you are leaving?” I said angrily.

“I leave that to you. I do love you but this is for the best.” He said starting to climb out of the window. I grabbed our wedding photo in its glass frame.

“When I defeat Volkmar and I will, don’t bother coming back. If you aren’t willing to stay and protect me then I don’t need you and neither does Alex. We will be fine on our own. So if you want your divorce then I will give you your divorce.” I said pissed.

“You don’t mean that.” Pete said.

“Yeah, I do.” I said trying not to cry in front of him.

“I do love you, Amanda.” He said taking off out of the window. I threw the picture frame at the window and watched it shatter into a million pieces.

I sat down on the bed and cried. How could he do this to me? For better or worse was the vows we made. I got up and looked out the window to see that Pete had quicky vanished down the street somewhere.

I sighed and looked at the photo of us on our wedding day laying on the floor with tiny pieces of glass from our picture frame everywhere. I went to clean it up and cut myself. I just stared at the blood trickling down my fingers and then a thought occurred.

Volkmar did this to my husband, now Volkmar was going to pay. I may not be ready to fight him yet but he will feel my wrath. This slayer is one pissed off slayer and he took my husband away from me. Now, what is left of this evening or early morning he will know that this slayer is back stronger and bitchier then ever. You can’t keep a good slayer down.