How Dark Is the Night?

Old Wounds Die Hard

“So how did it go? Does Pete’s mom know where he is?” Brendon asked.

I turned to face Brendon. I got really mad. How could Pete do this to me? I took Brendon’s phone and was about to throw it at the wall.

“Hey, woah!” He said grabbing his phone out of my hand. “Not so fast missy.” He said.

“Sorry. I got a little angry.” I said sitting down on the bed.

“I take it that she doesn’t know where Pete is.” He said sitting beside me.

“She knows. She couldn’t say anything though because Pete is there.” I replied.

“How do you know that he is there if she didn’t say he was?” He asked confused.

“Pete’s mom told me that if she hears from Pete or sees him that she would make sure to pass on the message that I wanted to talk to him. And she also said that she would would tell him that I love him which means that he was there and she was trying to tell me he was there without letting Pete know she was.” I said.

“So now that you know he is there, let’s go get him and bring him back home.” Brendon said.

“Brendon, it isn’t that easy. I can’t just pick up and go. I am needed here right now. I need to go out patrolling tonight, especially since I probably have pissed off Volkmar even more. I need to get back into my slayer mode. I also want to go out with Kat and try to get her to stop acting weird like she is over me being the slayer again. I am not taking her place. If anything she seems to have taken mine. Why can’t we work together?” I said sighing.

“I don’t know. She’s young and was thrown into this whereas you became the slayer when you turned eighteen but was forced to not remember it. You were hidden and only until earlier this year really got into and understood your slaying potential.” Brendon said s I yawned.

“I guess. I need to go downstairs and apologize.” I said changing the subject but as I got up I fell onto Brendon from exhaustion.

“Amanda, I want you to take a nap. A nice, long one. You can apologize later and I will explain to everyone what happened with Pete and what made you snap. They will understand. You have been up since early this morning and is exhausted. Trust me on this though, we will get Pete back one way or another if I have to go and drag him out of Chicago myself.” Brendon said.

“Thanks.” I said smiling at that. “Brendon, what would I do without you?” I said crawling onto my side of the bed with him tucking me in.

“You would be so lost without me.” He said grinning.

“I think it is the other way around. Without me, you would never have met your wife.” I said laughing.

“Get some sleep and try to think of happy thoughts and Nick. Maybe he will come into your dreams and you can tell him about Kat.” He said kissing my forehead.

“I am not a child.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Sometimes you can act like it.” He said laughing.

“Hey, take that back!” I said laughing.

“Only if you behave like a good little slayer who will get some sleep.” Brendon said as he walked over to the door. “No more burning mansions down.” He said grinning.

“I can’t promise anything but I will try.” I said rolling over to face Pete’s side as a habit.

Brendon left and I just laid there in thought for a few minutes. Then, I rolled over onto Pete’s side and snuggled into the covers more. His pillow smelt like him and so I breathed him in and cried myself to sleep still harboring feelings of revenge for Volkmar over losing my husband.