How Dark Is the Night?

Hot And Bothered

(Pete’s POV)
“Amanda.” I mumbled as I tried to stay asleep which was failing.

“Pete, wake up.” I heard my mother saying as she shook me awake.

I blinked my eyes and lifted my head up from my arms that were resting on the table. Apparently, I had fallen asleep at the table sometime after I followed mom down here to the kitchen to finish talking to her. I must have suddenly gotten sleepy and then fell asleep with Nick pulling me into Amanda’s dream.

“Mom?” I asked as I looked around the room. “Mom, do you know what you have done?” I said a little mad.

“Pete, I am sorry for waking you up. You somewhat just drifted asleep on me as we were talking earlier, so I figured you were exhausted and needed to sleep but now I am making dinner for your dad, brother and sister so I have to ask you to get up so I can set the table.” Mom said.

“Mom, I was talking to Amanda through our dream we were having until you woke me up.” I replied getting up from the table and looking at the clock on the microwave. It read that it was after seven pm.

“Oh, Pete, I am sorry. I forgot that you vampires could do things like that. I am glad that you two were talking again. Are you working your differences out?” She said as she walked back over to the kitchen to make dinner.

“I was trying to but now, I don’t know if I will get to talk to her again. I may not be able to come into her dreams again. It felt so real though.” I said not revealing what actually happened in the dream.

I know Amanda and I had dreams before but never as vivid and detailed as this. I still have the urgency right now to want to take her in my arms and never let her go. Everything felt so real.

“Pete, can you help me set the table?” Mom asked.

“Sure.” I said.

“Are you thinking about going back to L.A.? I mean you know you can always come back home here but I just think that…” She said before I interrupted her.

“Mom, I haven’t decided yet what I want to do. We were just getting into the root of our problems but I was thinking about going back.” I said.

“Pete, you look healthier. You have a glow about you. It is as if you do not look pale anymore. You look alive again, um; well you know what I mean.” She said.

“I wouldn’t know. I can’t see my reflection.” I said laying the silverware out on the table.

“Well, I see it.” Mom said turning to me, and gently pinching my cheeks. “Do you want to sit with us while we eat dinner and talk? Your brother and sister should be showing up any minute now.” She said.

“Actually, I think I am going to go out and slay tonight.” I said as I finished setting the table. May I borrow the car?” I asked.

“Sure.” She said.

Mom was making spaghetti. It always looked and smelled good. It was just too bad I could not eat it. That was why I wanted to leave so I could not watch them eat. What I really needed was a cold shower with the feelings I was having right now.

I went to where Mom keeps the keys and headed out the front door. “Don’t wait up for me, Mom.” I yelled as I walked out of the house locking the door behind me.

I needed to clear my head. All I could think about was Amanda and how I wished that dream did not have to end. I do trust Amanda. It’s me I do not trust. Right now, all I can think about is how bad I want Amanda right now and it hurts.