How Dark Is the Night?

One Step Closer To Being With You

(Chapter 80)
Looking back at this whole, entire year so far, my life has been chaotic to say the least. Pete and I have not even known each other or been together for a full year yet and we are married. How crazy is that?

Pete and I have always had some sort of connection since the day we first met. Words cannot explain how we knew that we would be together; we just knew like an instinct. Some memories are good, and others bad, but in the end Pete and will always manage to find a way back to each other and I hope we will do that tonight.

There were so many good and bad memories that have only made us stronger people. Pete was there for me when I found my dad, even though it was a rough for us at first. I also found Nick and had my first run in with Natasha.

(Flashback 8)
The taxi dropped us off at the end of Fourth Street. The part of fourth we were on was in a bad part of town filled with gang members now I was told by the taxi driver who took off after we got out of the cab but that at the other end was the good part that held dance clubs, restaurants and such. Vampires, I am sure, lurked here besides gang members.

I saw the old movie theatre a block down from us. It closed a few years after what happened to my mom. It had been here since the forties. It was so cool on the inside I recalled, and used for plays at one time besides movies.

Pete and I carefully walked down empty Fourth Street to The Palace theatre. I did not sense any vampires around but we noticed how abandoned this street was. Shops were boarded up, and the streetlights were dim. So much had changed since I was a kid. Nevertheless, every town has their good spots and bad spots.

I let go of Pete’s hand and stopped once we got to the theatre. I was standing at the spot I was at where I was rescued. I looked at Pete.

“What? What is it?” Pete asked looking around.

“I was standing right here, Pete when everything happened. Mom, my rescuer, and me, had just walked out of the theatre and, had been ambushed. I remember mom took out her stakes and told me she loved me. I was not afraid. I was afraid for her. I wanted to help but
I was scooped up and carried away. All I could see was her fighting and to scream for her.” I said slowly walking over to the spot I remembered her fighting and the spot I saw her body lay from the articles I found online.

I squatted down to the ground and touched it. Pete walked over to me and put his arms around my shoulders. Tears started to form.

Then, I quickly stood up. Someone was here. Pete pulled me behind him, fangs coming out.

“We can’t see you but we know you are there!” I yelled. That’s when we saw a figure emerge from the shadows.

“Pete, it is ok.” I said walking away from him.

“I don’t care.” He said following me on guard.

The figure was Chris. I remembered his name. He was a vampire like Pete and my rescuer.

“It’s not safe for you to be here.” Chris said approaching me.

“Chris, it was you. You rescued me from those monsters that killed my mom.” I said running to hug him.

I wrapped my arms around him tightly. Pete just stood there with a confused look on his face but ready to attack if need be. Then I stepped away waiting for an explanation.

“Amanda I am sorry you had to find out this way about your mom.” Chris said upset.

“Why? Why did you save me and not her too? You loved her. You were my mom’s boyfriend those articles talked about.” I said with more tears starting to form. I was angry, hurt, happy, and confused all rolled into one.

“Amanda it was important to protect you. I owed it to your mother to keep you safe. The vampire that killed her would have killed you too. It’s in your genes to be a slayer. We were hoping, meaning your mom and me, that it would skip you so that you could have a normal childhood.” Chris said.

“You call growing up the way I did normal? I was dumped off at a shelter with no memory of why I was there then shipped off to live with an aunt who didn’t really want to deal with me. No one would explain what happened to mom and I always felt fuzzy on things. You did it. You blocked it out so I would forget everything!” I said upset.

“You needed to be protected. A child your age should not have seen what you had seen.” Chris said explaining.

“I hate that word protected. Everyone uses it like I am this fragile thing. I don’t need protecting. I am a big girl now and can handle myself. I always have.” I said looking at Pete and then at Chris.

“Look, before I say anymore we need to move. It isn’t safe for you. He lurks and has spies. He will know you are here.” Chris said worried.

“I am not leaving until you tell me who will know I am here.” I said angry. “You know who is after me don’t you and you also know I have dreams. Is it the vampire I am searching for, the one who killed mom?” I asked.

“Yes. You will know who he is in time. Your mind only wants you to see what it wants you to see now. Your dreams show you things. Your mom had them. But you know who he is from your memories and that’s not one I have blocked. Only you can unlock it. You are the one who buried that one. He has been looking for you for all these years. I managed to keep you safe until recently when you remembered being the slayer. I have spies too and have kept my eyes on you when I could.” Chris said motioning us to move with him.

“So that explains why I always felt like I was being watched. I was feeling you. That explains how I can be comfortable around you people. I felt you were good all this time and didn’t know it before I met Pete.” I replied.

“Well we must go now to a safer place. I can drive us there.” Chris said.

Pete grabbed and squeezed my hand. I was sensing he was nervous about this. All I could do was to squeeze his back and follow Chris to his car.

Once we had climbed into Chris’ car, we sat in silence for awhile as Chris drove us to where he was going to take us. I sat in the front passenger seat with Pete behind me in the back to keep an eye on Chris. All I could do was stare at the man who saved me but still looked like a teenager. I broke the silence.

“Chris you are still the same as I remember you. When I was a kid I never thought anything of it. How old are you now? I asked.

“I was eighteen when I was turned and your mother found me. She had just found out she was pregnant with you. We were only kids then it seemed. Most eighteen year olds don’t have the whole world on their shoulders. So I guess you could say I am now forty-three stuck in an eighteen year old body.” Chris replied. I turned around to look at Pete who was lost in thought.

I looked out the window after awhile and saw that Chris was taking us to a cemetery. It was dark and eerie. Why was I brought here to chat?

We pulled up a winding way and stopped in front of some gravestones. Chris got out of the car as well as me and Pete. We walked a few steps until Chris pointed to a grave.

I bent down to read it to see it was my mother’s grave. It had beloved mother engraved on it. I touched it and stood back up.

“She is dead, right? She’s not roaming around somewhere is she?” I asked trying to fight back tears. “The one who is after me wants me alive. I think I know now why he does. He wants to make me his bride.” I said turning towards Pete. He held me for a second then let go. I knew he was worried about me.

“He wanted your mother but she fought him off. I checked believe me. I waited by her grave after they buried her to make sure. You see a vampire has to make you drink their blood in some way to turn you. It could be by it rubbing on your lips and you tasting it and you are trapped into their spell against your will. Your boyfriend and I know all too well, don’t we Pete.” Chris said.

“How do you know my name?” Pete asked standing behind me.

“I have had my friends keep their eyes on Amanda for me. That is how I knew she was bitten and you rescued her. You fell in love with her. I know a lot, trust me. I fell in love with your mother, Amanda. Vampires like Pete and me are called Watchers. It is our job to protect the slayer at all costs in her quest to fight off the vampires. Falling in love with the slayer isn’t supposed to happen but it has. That is why you need to protect her at all cost Pete. I don’t want anything to happen to my…um my Starr.” Chris said hiding something I could tell.

“Wait, you used to call me my little Starr when I was little.” I said.

“And you called me Uncle Chris.” He said laughing.

“Chris, did you ever know who my father was?” I asked curiously.

“I knew him once, yes, but only from what your mother told me about him.” He said looking away.

I didn’t really quite catch it but Pete kept studying Chris. I couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t feeling comfortable around him. This whole situation I was in was weird.

“So my mom is safe in heaven. That makes me feel a little better. You don’t know my Dad. Well, I just thought of this! You are the Chris, aren’t you that posted the slayer stuff online?” I asked excited.

“Yes. I wanted you to know about things in case you found out about the slayer thing you would know and be prepared. I knew you would find it and be curious eventually.” Chris said.

“So, I have Pete and you now I guess as a watcher?” I asked Chris.

“I can be but I have other places to be. I have to fight wherever you can’t fight vampires.” He replied. “I came here because I knew you would want answers. I felt it.” He added.

“I am a little pissed. It is bad enough that I cannot save everyone now but the world was missing its slayer when you decided to erase my memories. I guess Brendon is a watcher too.” I added.

“There is one more. I did not erase your memories when you became the slayer, Amanda. But I gave the order to.” Chris said.

“Oh, and who could that other watcher be?” I said rolling my eyes and seeing Pete’s face turn away from me. That made me nervous. He pulled away from me as well. Did he know who my other watcher was? Was he keeping this from me for a reason?

“A slayer is supposed to have one watcher unless events happen in their life and then other watchers can appear. Pete was one so he could be with you now.” Chris said looking at Pete.

“Yes, but Pete didn’t want to be a vampire neither did Brendon. Pete, I am sorry it is because of me you are this way.” I said looking into his eyes. He was definitely afraid of something.

“I don’t blame you, Amanda. It is not your fault. Do not believe that garbage for a second. Beckett did this to me and I couldn’t stop him.” He said pulling me tight.

“But you still haven’t told me. Who is this other watcher? Have I met them?” I asked.

“Amanda it is Nick, your old boyfriend. I found him and trained him to fight and to protect you. I made him erase it from your mind.” Chris said calmly.

“No!” I said pulling away from Pete. “So it was true, and I wasn’t crazy. I did see him before.” I said upset. “And you! You knew somehow, Pete. Why didn’t you tell me?” I said lashing out at him before stepping a few feet away from him. My heart started to race. How could Pete not tell me Nick was alive like him? My heart began to break and I was becoming overwhelmed. I could not breathe and I was feeling very dizzy all of a sudden. Before I knew it, I had collapsed. I blacked out.
(End of Flashback 8)

From there, I quickly bolted away from Pete, pissed that he knew Nick was alive all that time and did not tell me after I had come to. I found Nick, and had a run in with Natasha. Oddly enough on the plane ride to Florida, I had a dream. I dreamed of Alexandra, which I had forgotten about.

(Flashback 9)
“Mommy, I missed you!” Alexandra said running up to me.

“Oh, I missed you too, Alex.” I said picking her up.

“Look what I made you in kindergarten today.” She said holding up a picture.

“I see. Here’s me, and you and…” I began to say.

“Daddy’s here!” She said pointing.

I turned around to see a figure approaching.

“Miss? Miss, you should fasten your seatbelt. The plane is about to land in Tampa now.” A flight attendant said waking me up.

“Oh, ok.” I said groggily.
I fastened my seatbelt and looked at my watch. It was now 11 am.
What a dream I had. Imagine that. It was a nice dream while it lasted. It will never come true and so just a dream. I cannot have kids. Whom am I kidding? Pete’s a vampire and well lets face it I may be dead soon. However, seeing me a few years older with a daughter was nice. Alexandra of all things was a name I picked when Bev and I were in high school naming names we would name our kids. I wanted a little Alex running around.

I wonder if I would have seen whom my mystery daddy was if I had not been awaken from sleep. Well, I cannot dwell on that now. I have more important things to think about.
(End of Flashback 9)

(Flashback 10)
“Nick I need to ask you a question.” I said as we pulled into Nick’s driveway.

“What’s that?” He asked.

“Natasha told me to ask you why you haven’t killed her and I want to know why you haven’t. You have had plenty of years to do so.” I asked upset.

“I have tried. You can ask Brian. She somehow manages to get away from me.” Nick said.

“Well she is on my list. That is for sure.” I replied.

“You shouldn’t have told her you were the slayer. It wasn’t safe for you to be here and now it may be worse.” Nick said concerned.

“Ah don’t fret. I can take her and besides I already know some big vampire dude is after me and Beckett back home works for him in some way.” I replied as Nick unlocked the back door for us to come in. “What’s a few more to add to the list.” I said joking.

“This is serious. You have had dreams?” Nick asked.

“Yeah, all the time. I kind of have accepted my fate.” I replied.

“Don’t talk like that.” Nick said.

“Now you are talking like Pete.” I replied. “I snuck in here earlier. You left your key in the rock outside. I remembered and came in looking for clues.” I said.

“Amanda, that was illegal of you.” Nick said.

“Well, I am on a mission. I just was hoping to find something to spark my memory before I found you.” I said.

“Did it?” He asked.

“No, but I know you know who Pete is. I found a picture of him you marked his face out.” I said laughing.

“Well you keep bringing him up here and there. Are you sure you still don’t have feelings for him?” Nick asked changing the mood.

“Hey, let’s not talk about him. He lied to me and promised me he wouldn’t.” I said walking into the living room.

“Well let’s get you some bandages and peroxide.” Nick said going in the bathroom.

He came back and started to fix me up. I looked in his eyes but I couldn’t stop thinking of Pete. Can I be in love with two people?

“Hey, come downstairs with me.” Nick said.

I followed him down to his room. I sat on his bed and he sat beside me. We both kind of stared at each other for a few.

“Nick, tell me what happened to me at prom. Why did you leave me?” I asked.

“Let me see your neck.” Nick said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Just let me see.” He said.

I pulled my hair back to let him see my scar from Pete. He looked at it with a confused look then turned away from me.

“What is it?” I asked.

“You were bitten by Pete weren’t you?” He asked.

“Yeah, and Mike the vampire that started me remembering things.” I said rolling my eyes. “But Pete and his friends rescued me and Bev and here I am today. Why do act so strange to him biting me?” I asked confused.

“It’s just that for you, the slayer it shouldn’t show. It should have healed but…never mind.” He said.

I grabbed my neck and remembered Pete biting it and telling me he loved me. I remember my dreams too of the vampire I am running from wanting to bite me there too. It was all so weird.
(End of Flashback 10)

(Flashback 11)
I left my apartment a little before five pm. I wanted to get a good spot to sit and watch the sunset. In addition, I wanted Nick to be able to find me. Once I had arrived at the beach and picked my spot, I felt all-calm inside.

The sunset was beautiful. I just wish Pete could be here to see it with me. I could not wait to get home to him now.

I only had to wait about a half hour after the sunset for Nick to arrive. He had a smile that made me fall in love with him when we met. He came alone.

“So, you ready to work out? Don’t hold back on me now.” Nick said as he approached and gave me a hug.

“Ok.” I said.

Nick lunged at me and I knocked him down to the sand. He got up and surprised me at how fast he was. He took me off guard and got me several times as we were practicing fighting techniques. He kept telling me I needed to focus better and not be distracted by what was going on around me.

There were people walking the beach who were stopping to stare at us occasionally. It kind of felt awkward. I was not focusing on what Nick was doing to attack me as much because my mind was on what to tell him about Pete and me. I was also remembering our first practice after I had snuck in to Pete’s room and he nearly killed me. Then I started to feel funny.

I stopped fighting for a second and looked around. I could not tell exactly what I was feeling, if it was good or bad. My senses were trying to focus on not only Nick but also what was going on around me from this. Nick did not know I had stopped to look around the beach and came behind me to attack me. Without a beat I turned in time to know he was there and flipped him hard onto the ground.

He grabbed my waist as he went down, knocking me on top of him. We looked in each other’s eyes and he leaned in for a kiss. A kiss I was not expecting. My heart raced. His kiss was warm and inviting but there was nothing there for me to return. The feelings I was so afraid of having returned were officially gone. I pulled away.

“What’s wrong?” Nick asked as I got up off him and stood up. I felt Pete. He was here. He had to have been hiding somewhere watching and far enough away to make me confused as to what I was feeling earlier. Only now I know it was him because he was closer to me from seeing Nick’s kiss.

“Pete.” I said. I looked in the direction I felt him and saw him run away with Patrick following.

“No! What have I done?” I said running off towards Pete’s direction with Nick chasing me from behind.

I ran to the parking lot and looked to see no cars and no trace of Pete. He was gone. I could not feel him anymore and my neck began to hurt. How did he know where I was?

I bent over trying to catch my breath when Nick finally caught up. I got mad and started to take my anger out on him. He just stood there for a few seconds before telling me he understood why I wanted to talk to him now.

I went back home to my apartment and immediately called the airlines to book a flight that leaves early tomorrow morning. As much as I wanted to go home now, I did not want to face Pete on a plane. I got ready for bed and packed my bags with some stuff from here. I then called Bev to find out if Pete had called her yet or not.

“Hello?” Bev asked from her cell phone.

“Hi. Can you talk?” I asked.

“Well, everyone just got off work and we are meeting the boys for food and Andy is bringing his new girl Chrissy for us to meet. I think Erelin was shocked and excited to know her other best friend was seeing Andy. I mean what a coincidence, right?” Bev was saying.

“I really need to talk and I don’t care who listens. Put me on speaker if you want, I don’t care.” I said sounding upset.

“Amanda, what’s wrong?” She asked.

“I didn’t know Pete would follow me here to Florida after I told him not to. I also did not know my own friends would keep secrets from me. You should have told me he was here.” I said.

“What happened? Is Pete alright?” Bev said. I could hear Erelin in the background saying, “What happened now?”

“Let’s just say Pete will be home in about six hours if he got the next flight out. I will be leaving in about six hours for my flight. I took the early morning flight out of here. I couldn’t find him after what happened.” I said frantically.

“Slow down, Amanda. You told me you went to the beach to meet Nick. Is that right?” Bev asked.

“Yes. I met Nick there. He wanted me to practice and show off my skills to him. I just wanted to talk but that did not happen. Everything happened kind of fast from there. I did not feel Pete around me at first but he apparently was there hiding far from me not to be felt he was there. I knocked Nick down and he pulled me down with him. He then reached in to kiss me, which Pete saw. I felt him because he had stepped in a zone where I could find him. If you could only have seen the look on his face, he was hurt. Pete then took off with Patrick following behind. They were so far ahead of me that when I tried chasing after them they had already disappeared.” I said upset.

“Whoa, slow it down again. You are starting to get hysterical again. Did you explain everything to Nick?” Bev asked me.

“Yeah, and he told me to find Pete. He said we would always find our way back to each other.” I replied.

“Who would find each other? Bev asked confused.

“Pete and I would find each other.” I said.

“I haven’t heard anything from Patrick unless he is talking to the boys. We are at a diner waiting on them. They are running a little late but hopefully they are waiting on what Patrick has to say and not out fighting vampires somewhere.” She said.

“What do I do now?” I asked.

“When you get home I want you to take a nice hot shower, put on some dancing clothes to woo Pete, and come to the club tomorrow around eight. I will tell the girls and guys my plan. We will drag Pete’s butt there one way or another. Then you two can talk. We will not tell him you will be there because he might leave so we will let you show up and surprise him. Then you two can talk and say everything you need to say to each other.” Bev explained.

“Wow.” I said feeling a little better.

“Now try and get some sleep and we will see you tomorrow night.” Bev said hanging up.

Sleep is easy for her to say. My nerves are so shot. Will Pete understand? I do not want to think about what ifs tonight. Oh, I hope her plan works tomorrow.
I crawled into bed and turned my light off. I hoped to fall asleep but something pulled me back to thinking about the dream I had with Pete last night. Why was he telling me I was a fighter?
(End of Flashback 11)

(Flashback 12)
I walked into the club nervous. What was I to say? How would Pete react? I paid my cover charge and walked towards the floor.

Pete was here. No other vampires were in sight, which was a good thing. The music was hot and I started dancing for a second before turning around to see Pete, Erelin, Brendon, and Bev watching overhead on the balcony. Pete started towards the stairs and I proceeded towards the exit. My nerves were getting the better of me.

Then before I made it to the exit, Pete grabbed my arm and spun me around towards him. He then kissed me passionately which sent every emotion and chills in me up and down my spine and ease all my fears. I was not complaining.
I pulled away soon after. Our eyes locked and then we held each other.

“Pete…” I started to say.

“Shh, it’s alright.” I am sorry.” He said.

Then, the DJ announced one of my favorite songs. It was Far Away from Nickelback. The DJ said that he dedicated it to two lovers.

“Pete, this song? But how?” I asked confused.

“Dance with me.” He said extending his hand out to lead me out on the dance floor.

“But you don’t dance.” I said.

“I do now.” He said leading me out to the floor. “This song is playing for a reason. I get it now why Joe is playing it.” Pete said.

“Why is that?” I asked.

“Because it is your favorite and the words ring true to how we both feel. Its how I feel and can’t express when you aren’t with me.” He said.

I laid my head on his shoulder and smiled. We started to slow dance. I didn’t care who saw us. I think it was actually just us on the floor now. The song began and we both listened to the words speak how we feel.

This time, This place
Misused, Mistakes
Too long, Too late
Who was I to make you wait
Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
you know, you know
That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore
On my knees, I'll ask
Last chance for one last dance
'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know,
you know, you know
So far away
Been far away for far too long
So far away
Been far away for far too long
But you know, you know, you know
I wanted
I wanted you to stay
'Cause I needed
I need to hear you say
That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I forgive you
For being away for far too long
So keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore
Believe it
Hold on to me and, never let me go
Keep breathing

When the song was over, people crowded back onto the floor, and the music picked up again. Pete led me over by the stairs. He then sat on a step and pulled me onto his legs.

“I love you, Amanda. I always will.” Pete said.

I put my hand on his cheek and kissed him. “I love you too. It’s always been you, Pete. You are the one I belong with. You are my soul mate. Nick told me something. He said that you and I would always find our way back to each other. In a way, we always have after everything we have been through.” I said.

“I don’t want to lose you.” He said.

“So don’t.” I said. “I bet the gang is upstairs wondering what we are doing now.” I said.

“Let them wonder.” Pete said laughing.

We began to make out until we couldn’t contain our feelings anymore. Pete and I got up off the steps trying to calm ourselves down.

“You want to get out of this place?” Pete asked.

“I thought you would never ask.” I said grabbing his hand and smiling.