How Dark Is the Night?

Something's Got To Give

I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping outside a window. I slowly opened my eyes to see Pete was beside me with his head nuzzled between my chin and shoulder. He also had his arm wrapped around me as if I was his property. It was somewhat cute but I knew it was more of a protection thing that he was unconsciously doing to keep me safe from harm.

I gently pulled away from him surprising myself that he did not wake up. It must have been a rough night for him. I looked around the room I was in to see I was in Pete’s room of his parents’ house. He had both twin beds pulled together. I knew he would not do anything to jeopardize the baby or me last night.

All of a sudden, however, I felt very weak and nauseated. I got up stumbling and flew into the bathroom dizzy and shutting the door. It was from the loss of blood I experienced and the baby. Pete must have heard me get up off the bed for he was banging on the door as I was hanging over the toilet.

“Pete, don’t come in here.” I said trying to regain myself.

“I need to know you are all right.” He said breaking the lock on the door and flying into the bathroom.

Pete grabbed a clean washcloth from the closet in the bathroom and wet it. He started to clean my face. I could tell he was worried.

“Pete, I am fine. It’s just from…” I tried to say.

“It’s from me. You are sick from the blood loss and no transfusion. I did this to you.” He said upset.

“No, Pete it is a little of that but mainly the baby. You know I do have bouts of morning sickness.” I said touching Pete’s hand as I sat on the bathroom floor.

“Besides I am healing. Yes, I feel weak and a little dizzy but nothing serious. I would do it again if it kept you here with me.” I said smiling.

“Let’s get you back to bed.” He said when I thought I was done being sick. I got up and started to fall but Pete had ahold of me and caught me. He picked me up in his arms and carried me to bed.

“How did your mother take this?” I said knowing that she had to have seen when he carried me into the house.

“Well, she is worried and was upset. She helped clean up your wounds.” Pete said as I just now noticed the bandage on my wrist and felt the one on my neck.

“I wanted to take you to the hospital but I know how you hate them. You really worried me. Your breathing got somewhat shallow at times. What were you thinking? I could have killed you.” Pete said not happy.

“I told you I would do it again. I love you Pete. I trusted you. You stopped. We are ok.” I said.

“There is just no point in arguing with you is there?” He asked.

“Nope.” I replied.

“You look hungry. Mom is at work so I guess I will have to fix you something. You need to eat as pale as you look plus you are carrying my child you know.” He said.

“Can I come watch?” I asked.

“No, stay here and rest please. I don’t think I could handle you falling down the stairs as well.” He replied.

“Fine.” I replied.

I watched him leave then I got back up and went into the bathroom. I took my bandage off my wrist to see the wound healed where I had to cut myself to arouse Pete to drink my blood. Then, I took off the one on my neck in front of the mirror. There was no scar. That was good. The only thing on my neck was Pete’s original scar he gave me from the very first time he had bit me.

I climbed back in bed to hear Pete walk up the steps. He was carrying a tray full of some fruits, orange juice, and a bowl of cereal when he stepped into the room. I hate fruits and I bet he is going to make me eat them. Sigh.

“Here you go.” He said sitting the tray in my lap.

“Pete, you know I am not a fruit eater.” I said.

“You need to eat them for the baby growing inside of you. And I brought you some orange juice for Vitamin C and to help your blood count. So, please at least eat a piece of fruit.” He said giving me his best, worst smile ever.

I just laughed and said, “Alright, but only because of Alex.” I replied.

“So what was it you need to tell me last night before we were attacked?” Pete asked as I took a bite out of an apple.

“You need to make flight arrangements for us to leave Chicago tonight. I am to bring you back home where you belong with me. Pete so much has happened since you have been away. I lost it and in the process people have been hurt.” I sighed.

“What do you mean you lost it and people were hurt?” He asked.

“I blew up the mansion and Volkmar took Kat as a punishment to me. Tell me everything will be all right. Tell me we will get Kat back.” I said starting to fall to pieces.

“Hey, shh, it is all right. Look at me.” Pete said taking my hand. “Just relax and show me everything.” He said as I closed my eyes.

He tapped into my memories and emotions I had from the past few days. He saw what happened to Brendon and how I save him then what happened to Kat. I opened my eyes to see Pete shaking his head.

“This is my fault because I left you.” He replied.

“No, Pete. It is mine. Brendon should not have gotten hurt because of me. If I had not blown up Volkmar’s mansion, Brendon would still be breathing. In addition, Kat would be here at home. If something happens to her, Pete, I don’t know what I would do.” I said with my hands shaking.

“Come here.” He said holding me.

This is what I have wanted to feel for a very long time. I have needed to feel his arms wrapped around me tight. Pete is my better half and without him, I am nothing. He holds me together when I am falling apart. I can only be strong for so long.

“Pete?” I said as he held me tight.

“Yes?” He responded.

“I love you.” I said.

“I love you too. And I will never leave you again.” He replied.

“We will find and rescue Kat. I promise. Oh, and to help you relax after you eat your breakfast…” Pete said.

“I can’t eat all of this.” I replied pulling away from him.

“I didn’t finish.” He said scolding me.

“Um, sorry.” I said shrugging my shoulders.

“You will eat all of your breakfast and then I have a surprise for you.” He finished.

“A surprise? What kind of surprise?” I asked all happy.

“Finish your breakfast and you shall see.” He said giving me his mischievous grin.