How Dark Is the Night?

Just Checking In

(Brendon’s POV)
“Brendon?” I heard Pete say.

“Pete! I am so glad to hear from you. Amanda did find you right?” I asked hoping she did.

“Yes, well there was a complication.” Pete replied nervously.

“Complication? What happened?” I asked worried. “She is alright, right?” I asked as I sat on the bed.

“So, I hear Amanda saved you the other night.” Pete said changing the subject.

“Yes, I am back to being a vampire again but lets not change the subject. You know how I am with Amanda. What happened?” I said feeling very protective of her right now.

“Well, I went out slaying and she found me. We were attacked so our reunion was cut short.” He said pausing.

“And?” I asked annoyed.

“And I got hurt badly. I needed blood. Amanda saved me by forcing me to drink her blood. It is really a long story I can finish later. The bottom line is that she is all right. I am making her eat breakfast, which she is fighting me over because she had a bout of nausea from the blood loss last night and from her morning sickness.” He replied.

“Wait, you drank her blood? I thought you left because you were afraid to do that. You were afraid you would kill her.” I said reiterating why he chose to leave Amanda in the first place.

“As I said it is a long story.” Pete sighed.

“You drove her insane, Pete. She blames herself for what happened to me and about Kat kidnapped. Do you know how hard it has been these last few days trying to help her out of her funk while you were away? She blew up Volkmar’s mansion for Pete’s sake, no pun intended. And you bite her and all is right in the world.” I said mumbling the last part.

“Look, she forced me to. It was not as if I had a choice. I tried to fight her. She cut herself and made me taste her blood. I pulled away ready to die. She attacked me to get me angry enough for me to drink.” He said sounding upset.

“Yeah, well, none of this would have happened if you had never left Pete!” I said.

“We will get Kat back and I am sorry for what happened to you, Brendon. William told Amanda she would have to save two people she loved. One was you being her friend and me her husband.” Pete said trying to make sense of everything.

“Don’t forget he told her about having the same blood. I still can’t figure that one out.” I said as Erelin walked into the room smiling.

“Well has anything positive happened since I have been away?” Pete asked over the phone.

“Well, Chrissy and Andy are getting married ASAP when you return and Bev and Joe are expecting a baby.” I said smiling as Erelin sat on the bed beside me rubbing my back.

“Amanda will love to hear that.” Pete said excitedly.

“Pete, I am not eating this banana. I hate bananas. I hate fruit all together but I ate that apple and drank the orange juice. See, I even ate the cereal. Now can I please have my surprise?” I heard Amanda say on the other end of the phone. I could only imagine her giving him the pout and I laughed.

“You have your hands full it seems.” I said laughing at Pete.

“Uh, yeah, I better go now.” Pete said.

“Tell Amanda we all said hi.” I replied still laughing as I heard Amanda call for Pete again.

“Actually we should be home sometime late this evening if all goes well. See you Brendon.” He said hanging up.

“What’s so funny?” Erelin asked me.

“Apparently Pete is making Amanda eat breakfast and she doesn’t like fruit. Therefore, Pete said if she ate everything he had a surprise for her from what I heard. She was refusing to eat the banana.” I said smiling.

“I bet I know what kind of surprise he wanted to give her.” She said chuckling to herself.
Erelin then stopped rubbing my back and whispered in my ear some naughty little things. I turned to kiss her but she pulled away. I gave her my pouty face.

“Don’t give me that look. I never did show you my appreciation for saving my life last night, did I?” She asked inching closer to me. If my heart could beat right now, it would be off the charts.

“I saved you twice.” I corrected her.

“Well whatever, everything I just told you is exactly what I want to do until they get here.” Erelin said grinning naughtily. I could handle that.

“There is just one thing first.” I said getting up off the bed.

“Wait, where are you going?” She asked pouting now.

“Oh, I don’t know maybe to the door so I can shut and lock it this time.” I said making her smile again.

“Good call, loverboy.” She said she pulled me back down onto the bed after I shut and locked the bedroom door.