How Dark Is the Night?

Ms. Brightside

I woke up to an empty bed. I looked over to find Pete was not beside me asleep. I then glanced over at the alarm clock to find that it was a little after eight a.m. I heard voices outside of the bedroom door.

“Chrissy, I think its best not to wake Amanda up right now. She has not slept well all night long.” I heard Pete say.

“Look, Amanda needs a dress to wear to my ceremony. I am sure we can pick up something nice for you as well. You are not going to wear a hoodie to the courthouse. I mean any other time is fine because that fits you but this is my wedding and you will wear what I say.” Chrissy said with me chuckling to myself in the bed.

“Good luck with that one, Chrissy.” I said softly to myself.

“When exactly is this ceremony?” Pete asked.

“Tonight at seven as it is just getting dark so you should not have a problem.” Chrissy replied.

“Tonight!” Pete said shocked.

“Andy got up a few minutes ago and called the courthouse. A judge said he would gladly give us a small ceremony wedding. We just need to go in and fill out the marriage liscence before the ceremony. The judge that marries people also wants to meet us before he actually agrees to it however.” She said.

“So how come you and Andy cannot go do that, then get Amanda?” Pete asked trying to let me rest.

“Our appointment is for one p.m., so I want to get Amanda up now so she can shower and be ready by nine.” Chrissy said barging in my room.

“Hi, Chrissy.” I said trying to pretend I did not hear their conversation.

“See, Pete, she is awake now.” Chrissy said.

I tried my best not to laugh. When Chrissy turned towards Pete, I gave him a huge grin. Then, I shook my head and sat up in bed. At least maybe this means she is not as mad at me as I thought she would be. If shopping is my punishment then shopping, I shall go. I just did not want to lose our friendship over what I said last night.

“Amanda, how fast can you get ready?” She asked.

“Well, I guess I can go get ready now.” I said.

“Good cause we are going to go shopping for you to get a dress to wear tonight. Andy and I are getting married tonight!” She said jumping on my bed.

“That’s great!” I said looking at Pete who shrugged his shoulders.

“Chrissy there is something I want to say before I get ready. I want to apologize for what I said last night. I…” I was about to say.

“Shh. Apology accepted. This whole Volkmar/Dracula thing has gotten to us all. Believe it or not, that is why I want to get married now. I am so worried that something may or could happen. I want to legally be Andy’s wife and make the commitment. I don’t want to die and not have ever made the commitment.” Chrissy said.

“Hey, I will not let you die.” I said.

“I know you won’t but you need to believe it. You cannot save everyone, Amanda and you should not blame yourself for every little thing that happens. Sometimes you need to live life to the fullest no matter what is going on around you. Your mother would want you to be happy and raise Alex, not be worried and depressed all the time.” Chrissy said making sense.

“Thanks Chrissy.” I said hugging her.

“Now, can you please go get ready so we can get your dress?” Chrissy asked demanding.

“Yes m’am!” I said jumping up out of bed.

I gathered up my things for my shower and kissed Pete on the cheek. Then I flew out of the room and into the bathroom. I had to think more positive. Things were going to look up from here on out. They had to.