When Dreams Aren’t Dreams

Chapter 30

“Whatever they are, they’ve surrounded us!” Alex whispered, only David could hear what he said, to Lynn it felt just like wind blowing on her ear.

“How did this happen? I couldn’t feel their presence!” David whispered back, his voice same as low as Alex’s.

“I couldn’t feel them neither… you better go, before they see you here!”

“I can’t leave you here—”

“Go! You’re the only ally I have!!” Alex cut him off

“But Alex your powers… you can’t protect her—”

“Take her with you! I’ll deal with them alone; I’ll steal some of their power!”

This conversation between them was taking only half a second. It couldn’t be heard by human ears.

Lynn was going to ask them what was going on, but Alex placed his left hand on her mouth. She frowned. He unwrapped his right arm from her waist and turned her around.

He placed his mouth beside her ear. “Shh, don’t talk they can hear your voice. Lynn, go with Daniel while I deal with them” he whispered, in a tone and speed that was calculated to be heard only by her. She tensed; she didn’t want to leave him here! She was about to shake her head when…

“You’ll be okay; it’ll be just for a few minutes” he assured her

She was going to complain, but he pushed her slightly towards his brother. Everything passed so fast that she wasn’t sure of what happened. David touched her shoulder, she felt a tingly sensation, as if her body was being separated in million of pieces. Then they were in …a forest?

“What the hell was that!?”she gasped

“Teleportation” David smiled proudly.

“Where are we?” she asked

Daniel seemed to be in deep thought “I think we’re somewhere near canton, Ohio” he said

“What!!!? We’re half way across the country!!? What if Alex needs us? What was happening?”

“He’ll be okay… I think. He’ll call me when everything’s over and what happened is that they’ve found us”

“Who the zer—whatever they’re called?”

“Zerkhs, and who knows maybe it’s them maybe not, I don’t know”

Alex sat on one of the beds and closed his eyes; he pushed what was left of his power to the limit. There were some guys outside the door, he wasn’t sure of how many…. But they were Zerkhs. As his brother told him, apparently they finally realized that they couldn’t keep sending humans after him, because that way they would never get him. Now they would send stupid shape shifters with lame powers. He suppressed a chuckle, that thought sounded so Lynn. He opened his eyes as the door opened slowly. He wasn’t surprised when he found a small girl. She looked like she was lost. She had this yellow dress with a blue ribbon on her head. And was holding a small teddy bear.

“uhm… hello, can you help me?” the little girl asked eying him curiously with her golden eyes.

“Hello shape shifter”

Anger flickered in the eyes of the small kid. He knew that Zerkhs got pissed when people called them shape shifters. They thought highly of themselves, besides shape sifters didn’t have powers.

The little girl stepped inside the room, now changed in a blond guy of maybe 20 years.

“So you’re also gay” Alex said, thinking in all possible ways to piss him off so he would lose his concentration.

“Alexius” the guy said through gritted teeth, trying to suppress his anger “give me the essence and maybe I’ll kill you quickly”

“I’m getting tired of this” Alex muttered under his breath. Then he noticed that the shadow of the guy was getting larger and was coming towards him.

“So you can turn to shadows too” Alexius said throwing lightning at the shadow. In that exact moment a brown haired guy came out of the shadow yelling not so nice words at Alexius. The two guys charged against Alex, the blond one turned into a giant sword that the brown haired guy used to try to slash Alex.

“David, can you feel what is happening?” Lynn asked

“Yes, I’m in his mind right now, he’s alright and yes they were Zerkhs”

Lynn sighed and sat on the ground. It was the first time she got so worried about someone. Then she began to think about how great his arms around her waist felt. How sweet was his scent and how gentle he was. He never tried to take advantage of her in any way. He tried not to do things that could get her uncomfortable. She realized, she really loved him, but she was sure he didn’t love her back. He didn’t show any signs that he loved her. He just cared about her as a friend. And she was fine with it, she knew that they couldn’t be together, he was a god and she was a human. Suddenly her thoughts were interrupted when she saw David going pale.

“What happened!?” she stood up “What happened!?”

“I can’t feel him anymore!!”

Lynn forgot how to breathe for a moment. “We have to help him!!” she almost yelled

“But, he told me—”

“What if he’s dying!? We have to go now!! Come on, take us there!!!!!”

Alex was having a hard time fighting with these two Zerkhs, but it was worth it, they weren’t aware that he was stealing their powers. It wasn’t much, but it helped anyways. With one swift movement—one that Alex wasn’t expecting, and was not prepared for— one of the Zerkhs touched his hand and tried to penetrate his mind. Alex blocked all thoughts about the essence, blocked the Zerkh and blocked his brother, so they couldn’t track him. He punched the Zerkh flat on the face, breaking his nose and sending him across the room. Suddenly He saw Daniel and Lynn appearing out of nowhere. Everything passed fast; he saw how the Zerkh that he’d punch appeared in front of Lynn and stabbed her right in the stomach.