Looking Through Crystal

Return to the Headquarters

Shivering with cold, Jakob kicked the door furiously. Obviously realising their plan, the Mater had ordered all entrances to the headquarters to be locked and bolted. Enormous padlocks fastened the locks in place, and even Jakob’s powers couldn’t persuade them to budge. With a final burst of effort, Jakob clung to the padlock with both hands and summoned every drop of energy in his body.
“Stop it Jakob” Brian said gently, “You won’t be able to break it; the Master’s obviously had the vampire place a curse on it.”
Exhausted, Jakob leaned weakly against the door. The homeless man, who had revealed his name was Leo, shot him a sympathetic glance.
“There has to be another way in” Brian said, “But even the windows are sealed with cursed padlocks”
Flipping his sweat drenched hair out of his face, Jakob wandered around the side of the small building. The walls didn’t look particularly strong, with their crumbling brickwork, but Jakob knew he wouldn’t have the strength to break through them. From within the building, screams and cries broke through the walls like angry insects, stinging Jakob until salty tears of frustration run down his cheeks. His anger mounted as the shrieks grew more frantic, and in a sudden rush of fury, he threw himself onto the muddy ground. He lay there for a moment, until Brian and Leo ran to him.
“Jakob” Brian shouted worriedly, “What’s happened”
“Nothing” Jakob mumbled in reply, suddenly feeling foolish for his tantrum. Pulling himself to his feet, he looked around, attempting to block out the screams which had been the cause of his outburst. Cold, scared and various scrapes on his pale skin beginning to sting, Jakob raised his head, filled with new determination.
“Didn’t the Master ever tell you how to get in here” he asked Brian, “He must have said something when you were working for him”
Looking thoughtful, Brian rummaged in his trouser pocket, producing a tiny golden key.
“We all had one of these” he explained, “There’s supposed to be a secret tunnel which takes you right underground. It leads to the basement of the head quarters, but he didn’t tell us where he tunnel was”
Jakob promptly dropped to his hands and knees and began patting the ground as though the tunnel would suddenly emerge as a result of his blows.
“Get up” Brian said shortly, “You won’t find it like that, it could be hidden anywhere, miles underground.”
With a mysterious grin, Leo reached inside his tattered, mud soaked coat, producing a long and slightly battered silver stick.
“It’s a metal detector” he said triumphantly, “Found it in a skip a few years back. Now think about this logically sonny, that key must open a padlock, which will probably be metal. And if we know where this entrance is, we stand a much better chance of being able to dig down to it.”
Handing the device to Brian, who began waving it carefully over the ground; Leo smiled reassuringly at Jakob, who grinned back. It was odd how in the space of twenty four hours, Jakob had come to trust two of the most unlikely people he had ever met. And yet, he could not imagine life without either of them, even once their ordeal was over.
“I think there’s something here” Brian said after a few moments, “The detector’s starting to vibrate”
Jakob rushed to where he stood, his heart hammering in anticipation. Taking a deep breath, help dropped to the ground and began to uproot the straggly grass and thick clumps of mud. His hands scrabbled against sharp stones and rocks, scraping his skin and making him wince in pain.
“Here Jakob” Brian said, nudging him gently out of the way, “I’ll do it”
As Brian got to work, Jakob stared again at the headquarters. A shudder of fear coursed through his tired body at the memory of the hours he’s spent in there, chained to the chair and forced to use his powers for the Master. He ran his fingers across his forehead, where the Master’s gemstone had gashed his skin. He had healed it, along with the injuries he sustained in the crash, but now it prickled uncomfortably. For a brief second, he felt the earpiece, which was still firmly attached to his skin, shudder. The Master was obviously near, and Jakob felt overwhelmingly sick at the thought of another meeting. Even the comfort of knowing he had powers he was now able to control did little to calm him. He was wet, miserable and frightened, and he wanted his Mum.
“Brian” he said suddenly, “What happens to me when all this is over? You said that you couldn’t take Crystal with you, and I don’t think my Mum wants me anymore…or my Dad”
Remembering his last conversation with his Dad before Brian had taken him from the hospital; Jakob felt a lump rise in his throat. More than anything in the world, he wanted to go home. But what was left of his home, now that his Dad wanted nothing to do with them, Joey was to be killed by the Master, simply to prove they were strong enough, and Crystal being used and controlled by the organization?
“I don’t know Jakob” Brian said, continuing to dig “Maybe there is a way to get Crystal to safety…maybe you’re mum will want to try again with her, welcome her home”
It seemed extremely unlikely. Adrienne had said that Crystal reminded her too much of Brian, and she still believed him to be violent and dangerous. And Jakob was sure that his version of events, however much he believed them to be the truth, would do nothing to convince his mother otherwise.
“Right” Brian said after several minutes of silence, “We’re in”
He retrieved the golden key from his pocket and slotted it neatly into the filthy padlock binding the trapdoor he had uncovered. Holding his breath, Jakob looked anxiously at Leo as Brian slid it from the door. It swung open, revealing a narrow passage littered with maps and complicated diagrams. Crystal’s screams became suddenly more apparent as they filtered through the filthy underground trail. Blind with rage, Jakob dived towards the hole, his limbs flailing as he attempted to wriggle between its narrow walls. Brian caught hold of the back of his clothes and pulled him out hurriedly.
“I’ll go first Jakob” he said, “This whole mess is my fault, and Crystal is my daughter. I want to put things right, make up for all the misery I caused when the Master was controlling me. Its because of me Crystal ended up being adopted, maybe if I’d been there…she wouldn’t have been accused of the murder.”
His features were heavy with pain and guilt. He truly believed this was his chance to finally protect Crystal, to be her father. Jakob recalled him saying that now he was no longer under the master’s control, he would only have a few years to live. Perhaps he saw this as his last chance to do some good, to do something that would benefit another person. Jakob badly wanted him to have that opportunity, but he could see it was impossible.
“You won’t fit down” he said matter-of-factly, “It’s a tiny tunnel, I’ll have to go”
Seeing he was right, Brian ceased his grip on Jakob, who lay flat on the ground and wriggled slowly into the passageway. It was cold, the wet earth seeping through his clothing and chilling him to the bone. Insects squirmed over his aching body, making him recoil in panic. Yet he continued to drag himself deeper into the earth, shouts of terror ringing in his ears. When at last he reached the end of the tunnel, he was gasping for breath, sweat dripping from his frail body. Exhausted, he dragged himself from the ground, finding his eyes meeting those of indescribable evil.
“Jakob Danger Armstrong” the cruel voice snarled, “You didn’t expect me to be here, did you? You’re not the only one with magical powers around here”
Frozen to the spot in terror, Jakob’s brain slowly processed what he was being told. The master was intelligent beyond imagination and could control everyone around him. But he had no supernatural powers, which lead Jakob to the conclusion that he had used Crystal’s to transport himself to the headquarters quickly. She obviously had not learned how to defeat his possession and he was exploiting her powers for his advantage. Rage surged though Jakob’s body when he spotted Crystal in the same chair he had been bolted to when he had awoken after being snatched from the hospital. The Master’s cloak billowed around him making him seem twice the size he actually was. Yet through his anger and fear, Jakob stood triumphant before him. He was dripping wet and coated with mud from the tunnel, yet he stared defiantly into the Masters red eyes.
“I want you to release Crystal” he said bravely, “Let her go and never come near my family again”
The Master chuckled nastily, his white face suddenly alive with distorted pleasure. He stared at Jakob, then looked towards Crystal who was struggling in the chair’s grips.
“We all agreed that Crystal had learned to harness her powers more effectively” he said, “Yet we easily managed to bring her here and inject the demon into her blood. She has an earpiece like your Jakob, and now she is going to use it”
Throwing a gnarled hand into the air, the Master uttered a series of curious words. Shivering, Jakob realised their effect as Crystal rose slowly out of her seated position. She walked slowly towards him, her face a mask and her eyes blank.
“Kill him” the master hissed, “Remember, those strong enough to kill their family will be allowed to live in eternal existence through the blood of the vampire in our basement.”
In a moment of disbelief, Jakob realised what the Master meant by this statement. He wasn’t just talking to Crystal, he was addressing them both. He wanted them to fight using their powers until one of them was dead. Only then would he discover which of them was the strongest, and who he could use in his quest for world domination. Jakob stood perfectly still, his fists clenched.
“I’ll never kill Crystal” he shouted at the Master, “I’ll kill you first”
The Master simply folded his arms inside the ominous black robes. His eyes flashed dangerous as Crystal continued to stagger towards him, completely under his control.
“No” Jakob protested, “Crystal, it’s me. It’s Jakob; you don’t want to hurt me”
It was obvious his cries of distress had not sunk through the fog surrounding her brain. Jakob recognised that feeling; the same level of control had been used on him when he had crashed Brian’s van. She edged closer, arms outstretched.
“No” Jakob gasped
He wanted to run, he wanted to crawl back through the tunnel and fly away to a place no one would ever find him. But he couldn’t leave Crystal, however dangerously the master was forcing her to behave. He felt her hand close around his neck, her face a puppet of the Masters hideous theatre. But suddenly, her eyes twitched slightly as though something was forcing its way through the confusion.
It was enough, Jakob backed towards the tunnel, grunting as though in pain. Crystal smiled, understanding his plan and continuing to grip his heck although she was strangling him.
“Master” one of the servants shouted, “They’re getting away”
The Master chuckled
“They are killing each other” he replied, “We shall find one dead in the tunnel within a few moments. Now go and awaken the vampire and we will see about making the winner of this fight immortal”

Jakob and Crystal rolled into the tunnel, still entwined in each others mock grip. The tumbled into the blackness, both shaking with confusion and pain. Once deep enough that they couldn’t be seen, their strangle turned to an emotional embrace.
“I thought you weren’t ever coming back” Crystal whispered tearfully, “I thought you were going to be controlled by him forever”
Jakob shook his wet hair from his smeared face and smiled weakly at her.
“I was for a while” he explained, “He made me crash Brian’s van. But I lost so much blood that it released the demon, I still have the earpiece though”
He ran his scraped hand over it, wincing as the Masters voice crackled through his ear. It sounded completely manic, urging him to finish his sister off while he had the chance. He could make out similar messages from Crystal’s, instructing her to tear his flesh from his bones and revel in the glory of having killed her brother.
“Come on” Jakob hissed, “Just ignore it, we’re almost out of here”
They continued to wriggle their way through the mud, bogged down into its slippery, sticky surface until they were gasping for breath. Footsteps echoed above them, as the Master became obviously suspicious of the lack of murderous sounds below him. Crystal tensed beside Jakob, biting her lip and glancing worriedly at the roof of their surroundings.
“It’s okay” Jakob said as they emerged into the sunlight, “He can’t fit through the tunnel, we just need to get away from here before he realises what we’ve done and gets out the main door”
Strong hands seized the pair as soon as they had squirmed out of the tunnel, and lifted them out of the blackness. Suddenly, Jakob left every doubt he’d ever had about Brian behind, and threw his arms around him. The wool of the jumper he was still wearing scratched at his scraped face, but he was too overcome with relief and emotion to care.
Beside them, Leo had hoisted Crystal from the ground and was hugging her tightly. It was an odd moment, until less than a week previously the four of them were total strangers, yet now they felt bound to each other by a mysterious connection which perhaps only occurs when one has saved another from a power hungry lunatic. When he broke away from Brian, a wide grin danced on Jakob’s lips.
“We’ve done it” he said, “We freed her”
He slipped back onto the ground and reached for Brian and his sister’s hands. Instinctively, Crystal clasped Leo’s so that the four of them stood linked in a long chain. Snatching a final glance at the Master’s headquarters, Jakob raised himself onto the balls of his feet and prepared to lift the group off the ground. He had an odd lump in his throat as he felt his body tingle with the magic that had saved their lives. Although he knew he was going home to a world and a family completely different to what he had left behind, his heart was full of a strong sense of peace. Everything was going to be alright now, he could feel it. With a swift kick, the group swooped into the sky, leaving the evil plots of the Master far behind.

Racing up the path to his house, Jakob felt his stomach turn over. He had no idea what to expect, whether he would even be welcome there anymore. With a sickening feeling of dread flooding over him, he reached for the door handle. His palms were sweaty with fear, and his hand slid over its surface before his could get a good enough grip on it to push open the front door. Within moments of him having stepped inside, Jakob felt himself being swept into a tight hug. Adrienne clung to him, only dimly aware of several policemen hovering in the background.
“Don’t you ever run away like that again” she said tearfully
Another figure joined them, his hand reaching out and ruffling Jakob’s messy hair fondly. Jakob held his breath, wanting more than anything to believe that his adventure would have a happy ending, that his Dad really had rejoined the family. He clung to them both, willing his dream to become reality.
“Dad” he croaked fearfully, “Why are you here?”
Billie Joe smiled at him, a warm glow filling the hallway
“I live here Jakob” he said, “I was always coming back”
Suddenly Jakob recalled the three individuals standing in the doorway. He slipped from his mothers grasp and ran towards Crystal, Brian and Leo. Slipping his hand into Crystal’s, he stared straight ahead at his parents.
“The helped me get back” he said defiantly, “You’re not sending them away. It wasn’t Brian’s fault Mum, the Master was controlling him…and Crystal’s my sister, and your not going to stop me seeing her”
He took a deep gulp of air to steady himself for the inevitably looming argument. Surprisingly, it never came.
“I know that Jakob” Adrienne said, the tears sliding down her face, “It’s okay, the police have spoken to us about this Master. He won’t hurt you…or Crystal, ever again”
She knelt beside her children, reaching out to Crystal gently. Her face was crumpled with years of both dreading and longing for this moment, yet she smiled reassuringly at Crystal. Crystal glanced worriedly at Jakob, overwhelmed by the situation and wary of her new surroundings.
“It’s alright now” Adrienne whispered, “The police have arrested the Master for killing Mr Badger. I’m going to prove to the world that you’re innocent, and you’ll always have a home here, with us”
Nervously, Crystal shuffled towards her mother, her eyes wide in panic. Her pale face appeared drawn with the enormity of the previous few days events, yet she fell into Adrienne’s arms with the same relief as Jakob. Brian and Leo edged into the Armstrong house, their faces wide with grins absent since they could last remember.
“Everything’s going to be okay now,”Jakob declared happily

Almost two months later, and Jakob sat at the enormous table with the same warm feeling of content he had experienced that night. A party hat perched lopsidedly on his head as he reached across the table to pull a cracker with Joey. Several of his presents were scattered across it’s surface and in his lap, including a series of complicated models and race cars. As the cracker went off with a terrific bang, and the family dog scurried under the sofa in fright, Jakob smiled at Crystal. It was her first Christmas out of the wreckage of the planet estate and the experience was proving to be an extremely joyful one. She had awoken early and scurried downstairs with Joey and Jakob to open the mountain of presents Billie Joe and Adrienne had spent the previous weeks buying and wrapping. Only a few days after returning form his adventure, Jakob had persuaded his parents to officially adopt Crystal and make her a formal member of the family. They had accepted the proposal and the paperwork had been completed in time for Christmas.
At one end of the table, Brian sat quietly enjoying his first proper Christmas dinner in twenty years. Having been controlled by the organisation for the majority of his life, these simple pleasures were new; and at times overwhelming experiences. He was adjusting however, though it was becoming steadily more evident that his life without the demon inside his body would be one cut tragically short. In fact, neither he, nor the private doctors Billie Joe had hired could say with any certainty whether this would be his final Christmas. He was in good spirits though, and was a regular visitor at the Armstrong house. They had not hesitated in inviting him over for Christmas.
Beside Billie Joe and Adrienne was the vampire held by the Master in his headquarters. The police had raided the building and deciding he was not legally classified as a human wanted him to be turned over to a laboratory for experimentation. Both Jakob and Crystal however, had insisted that he too joined the family and had persuaded their parents to allow him to move in. Joey had at first been incredibly worried about this prospect, but soon welcomed the vampire when he learned that he was a skilled video game addict. The two had spent many hours in front of Joey’s Playstation, chatting and laughing like old friends. Any worries about his appetite for blood were also immediately ceased when the vampire assured them that he would only drink blood stolen from hospitals supply rooms. So far, he had kept his promise and no one had awoken with any piercings of the neck.
Leo too had been made welcome in the Armstrong house, and was seated beside Joey. Having been homeless almost his entire life, he had found the move difficult but had settled and was enjoying life working at Billie Joe’s record company Adeline.

Jakob looked around the table at his family. It was complicated, and some would have said messed up. But he was happy and full of warmth as he sat back in his chair to enjoy Christmas dinner with them…