The Fall

Charlie

Damn.

I cracked open my eyes to smoke, dust, and sweat.

Well, I was indeed here.

And barely alive.

I rolled up my pants leg to reveal a throbbing bruise on my knee. I cringed just looking at it.

Suddenly my heart skipped a beat and I shoved my hands down the fron tof my pants.

No. The money was still here. I sighed with relief.

"That looks pretty nasty."

I squinted up to see a blonde boy in a graying striped shirt and torn slacks staring down at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

Behind him hovered a tiny, solemn girl with long black hair.

I shrugged and looked from him to the bruise. "I dunno. A couple of guys pushed me around last night; I'll be okay."

"You can come with me and get fixed up if you want," he suggested.

Fuck off.

Then again...I could use a place to crash and figure out things.

"Sure, sure," I grumbled, gingerly standing up. I groaned as my back snapped unpleasantly. I must have been lying there for a while.

He slung some sort of pack over his back and he and the girl started off down the alleyway, avoiding a pair of giggling children who stumbled after each other in some sort of game of tag.

I surveyed their precious faces and pink cheeks, and round, innocent eyes with a lust much like that I had for the old woman. The blood lust.

I shook it off quickly, though, and followed the other two into an unfinished building.

An unmistakeably drip drip drip was coming from somewhere far off and you could hear the occasional scuttle of a rat or some sort of animal.

It was something.

Soon I would be rich. This didn't matter.

He had mountains of knick knacks and junk. It was very odd looking, but also sort of interesting.

Out of nowhere he produced a makeshift bed for me.

And food.

This is pretty great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
Also check out my other, and noticeably more popluar story:
Just a Freak