Poor Choice Of Words My Friend

1

I elegantly strolled down the curved staircase. My right hand sliding along the railing. I was tempted to slide down it. I looked left and right making sure no one was approaching because I would get in trouble.

I sat along the railing and slid down it getting the right speed. A door had opened behind me and I stopped thinking. Before I could stop at the bottom of the railing I hit the floor with a thud.

My wavy blond hair was draping over my eyes. I pushed it out of my sight and looked up to see Neils, our butler. Neils was standing there with his hands locked behind his back staring down at me. I laughed and he offered me a hand. He helped me up off the floor.

I smoothed out my dress. If I had a choice I would have just worn something presentable. Like black pants with a plain white shirt but 'it is not appropriate' in my mother's words. At least I got to pick out the dress. It was a simple black dress that ended at my knees.

"Claire you need to be more careful next time," a smirk stretched across his face, "and it needs some work."

He proceeded to the front door. I stood and watched as the first guests arrived. I greeted them and then led them to the living room. Both the ladies had been long time friends with my mom; they knew each other since high school.

My mom was standing in front of the fireplace repositioning the pictures that sat upon it.

"Ali!" Screeched the taller lady. Ali was short for Allison.

My mom turned around in surprise. "I wasn't sure if you guys were going to make it." She motioned for them to take a seat.

"Honey, will go check and make sure all the appetizers are finished?" my mom asked.

"Yes, excuse me." I was told to have the up most respect for these people arriving.

Honestly, I hated all this crap. It might be called a party but it is far from a good one.

"Anne? Where are you?" Anne was our housekeeper and a second mom to me.

"Claire I'm right here." I turned around to see her standing there with a platter of small-portioned food on it.

Anne smiled and then placed the tray on the counter.

"Did you meet him yet?"

"Him?"

"Oh, I guess not," Anne said going towards the oven to check on the rest of the food. "Your mom wanted to get you together with this boy. I think his name is Thomas. He comes from a good and can't forget wealthy family."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes. I tried telling your mom to not expect anything from it. I know that you have an edge but your parents refuse to see it. You don't want a high class snobby rich boy." She winked at me.

I sighed. "Thanks for trying though Anne. I guess I better get these out there."

"I should be taking those out there. I got it."

"It's fine Anne. I'll save you a trip. I'm going out there anyway."

"Thank you."

"No problem."

I retrieved the tray and sluggishly made my way to the living room. This time on entering the room it was bustling with people engaged in useless conversation. My dad was talking with my mom but then she excused herself.

My mom looked at me confused. Probably because I was carrying a tray of food. I placed it on the table.

"Darling! Come here." My mom waved me over. "This is Thomas. I'll leave you two alone to get better acquainted."

Thomas took my hand and planted a light kiss on it. "Nice to meet you, Claire." He looked up at me to wait for a reaction.

I wasn't going to blush because these kinds of guys weren't my type. They are only in their teen years and they want to go around talking proper and kissing girl's hands. Far from normal that's what I thought.

"Nice to meet you too, Thomas." I flashed him a wide fake smile.

I stood there not wanting to strike up a conversation with this young man. His light brown hair was slicked back which made me want to laugh.

"Your mother told me that we attend the same private school. We will be graduating next year together. I have not seen you in school but I'm glad I have met you. I wish we could have been introduced earlier."

I hate when my mother tries to hook me up with anyone. She had a different thought of a boyfriend. She wants him to have an extremely wealthy background. Far from anything I care about.

"Yes, it would have been nice to have you as a friend during school." I was starting to get bored with this emotionless talk.

Thomas was far from anything I was looking for.

I saw Rebbecca coming towards us. She was about to walk right by and I stopped her.

"Hello, Rebbecca!" I was excited to have someone else to talk to. Even though I really wasn't fond of her.

"Hello, Claire." She looked a little confused.

"Rebbecca, this is my dear friend Thomas." I glanced from Rebbecca to Thomas. "Thomas attends our school."

Thomas took Rebbecca's hand and kissed it. Rebbecca blushed like I predicted. He's her type, not mine.

"It was a pleasure meeting you Thomas." I said happy to be leaving his presence.

Both of them were engaged in conversation that they both found interesting. Now that's what I call boring.

The house was filled with voices I didn't care to hear again. I went towards the kitchen hoping to find Anne. She wasn't supposed to leave the kitchen for the night. She had almost thirty people to feed.

The kitchen was spacious with tons of marble counters. I searched for Anne wondering where she could have went.

"Looking for me?" I turned around to see Anne.

"Why are you always popping up behind me? It's kind of weird."

"I was using the bathroom," Anne replied going to clean up the mess on the counter.

"I'm going to go outside for some fresh air," I told her placing my hand on the sliding glass door handle.

"I'll let your parents know if they ask. Don't be gone for too long or I'll have Neils go for you, OK?"

"Got it!"

I stepped outside. Inhaling the relaxing beach air. My house overlooked the beautiful ocean from the top of a mountain. I watched as the waves crashed into the mountainside. It seems violent but is rather calming. The sun was going to set in the next hour.

I walked to the front of the house, which everyone always considered a mansion. Our driveway just fit the handful of cars that were present.

I heard a rolling noise from outside our walls. A gray brick wall surrounded our house so no one could see in if they were walking by. I nervously went towards the big fancy gate that divided our driveway from the road.

I grabbed the bars on the gate and peered out at the street.

"Hello?"

"Hey!" A boy said as he went by me on his skateboard.

He was skating back and forth trying to land tricks. He wore black tight pants with chains connected to his belt loops.

"How did you do that?" Now I was leaning even closer to the gate.

"I don't know it becomes natural after awhile."

"You're really good," I said opening up the front gate and stepping out onto the sidewalk.

"Thanks."

I sat down on the curb. If my parents saw me right now they would blow a lid.

"That must be one party you're having in there," he said looking towards my house.

"Yeah, it's a party all right. If I may say not a good one."

He chuckled. "I guess it can't be a good one if you are out here."

"Parties like that just get boring after awhile. All those people want to do is mingle about who's better than who and talk crap about one another." I laughed. "I'd rather not associate with people like that."

"Yeah. Well, all rich people want is money. Nothing else matters. It's pathetic," he stated still skating around in front of me.

"That's true." Everything he was saying was true.

"I heard stuff about that family. The parents are stuck up and even worse their daughter is. That's the last thing we need is snobby people raising their children to be the same way. They give her what ever she wants. I'm lucky if I get anything from my parents."

"What family?" Who was he talking about?

He stopped skating and picked up his skateboard. "The one that lives in that house," he said looking towards my house.

People were always talking behind our backs. The rumors weren't even true. I had to work for anything I wanted. I had a nice job and I had to keep up on my grades.

He joined me on the curb. He turned towards me and smiled. "I'm Anthony." He held his hand out. This was the first time I was actually seeing his flawless face.

"Claire," I replied shaking his hand. I smiled even bigger when he didn't kiss my hand. I couldn't help but to let my eyes wander to the snakebites that decorated his lips.

"I never saw you before but then most people don't like going to private school." I knew he definitely didn't attend private school and I was grateful.

"Please, I wouldn't survive a day in private school. I prefer public school. Next year I'm graduating and I can't wait."

"Me too. I'll finally be able to make decisions on my own." I sighed. "It sucks when all your parents want to do is control your life. It's not easy. I like escaping every once in awhile."

"I know what you mean."

"So do you live anywhere around here?"

"Yeah. It's at the bottom of this mountain. Probably the smallest house on this sucker." He chuckled. "How about you?"

I looked over my shoulder at my house. "The house behind us."

His jaw dropped. "Seriously? You're not pulling my leg are you?" He brushed his long black hair out of his eyes.

"No. Of course not. I'm that spoiled little brat everyone talks about." I winked at him.

"You just don't seem like it."

"Didn't you ever hear 'don't always believe everything you hear'?'"

"Yeah. Man, if I was you I would have already punched me in the face." He laughed nervously while rubbing the back of his neck.

"Don't worry about it. I have just learned not to listen to what people say. I knew once you talked to me for awhile you would find out the truth for yourself. Let people think what they want to. I don't care."

"You're actually pretty cool." He nudged me with his arm.

"Um, yeah. You don't touch the princess." He looked confused and I burst out laughing. "I'm just kidding, gosh." I pushed him back.

"Who said you can touch the prince?" He winked.

We both sat there and laughed.

"I like your humor. Prince?"

"What you don't think I'm capable of such a title?" He crossed his arms and pretended to pout.

I accidentally burped and it wasn't one you could cover up. You would have thought that my neighbors would have heard it.

"Oh and what a princess you are."

I heard footsteps coming from my driveway. "Claire!" It sounded like Neils.

I shot up. Anthony stood up along with me.

"It was wonderful meeting you." He opened his arms and I dove in for a hug. I blushed but luckily he didn't notice.

"We'll have to hang out some more." He insisted as he let go and stepped back.

"Of course. See you later." I ran back into my driveway not looking back.

"Claire there you are! Anne and I were starting to get worried. You better get back to the party before they send out a search party for you."

"Thank you, Neils."

I went back into the house through the door I original left from. I ran through the kitchen and into the party.

Rebbecca approached me and thanked me for introducing her to Thomas.

Two hours later everyone was leaving. Neils was escorting all the guests to the front door. Anne had started cleaning up what was left.

My mother pulled me aside.

"So, how was Thomas? He is a gentleman isn't he?"

"Thomas was nice. So him and Rebbecca hit it off. He was just not right for me."

"Hit it off? Well next time I'll get it right. Don't' worry."

"It's OK mother. I can find someone good on my own."

"But how would you know if he's good enough?"

"Believe me I'll know," I pleaded touching her arm trying reassuring her. I started to walk up the stairs towards my room.

I could hear my mom talking to herself. "Oh, I know how about Richard. A charming young gentlemen. Or David also another good choice."

I shook my head and continued to my room.

I took a long shower, which is always refreshing. Then put on black shorts with a band shirt. I used my computer a bit before getting tired. I yawned once and continued what I was doing. The second time I yawned I decided to give in.

I looked over at my clock that read twelve thirty-seven. It was getting late anyway. I shut my computer off and the lights.

I crawled under my comfortable blankets and was about to dose off when I heard a noise from outside. Little pebbles were hitting my glass sliding door. I stepped out from under my covers and opened the doors to my balcony.

"Ouch!" A rock collided with my forehead. "Who's there?"

A voice called from below. "Claire?"

"Yeah, who else would be in my room? Don't answer that. Anthony is that you?" I heard someone start climbing up the side of my house. He was probably using the trellises.

"The one and only. At least this time I got your room." He was getting closer by the second.

"This time? Don't mind that." He finally reached me and climbed over the railing. "What are you doing here?"

He walked towards me slowly. He wrapped me up in his arms. I searched his eyes for an answer and I found something better. "Trying to save my princess." He leaned in closer to me and placed his hand gently on my face caressing it. His lips crashed into mine and I kissed him back.
♠ ♠ ♠
My third one-shot, yay! I actually find this one to be one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it too.

Thank You for reading! =D