Syringes In The Gutter

THREE

I woke up to gentle breathing in my ear. Slowly, I pulled away from Alex's neck. He jerked quickly awake.

"Whoa - who are you?" he murmured. He moved away and cold air rushed between the space. "How did I get... here?"

I silently slid out of bed and pulled on my clothes as fast as I could. He obviously didn't remember anything but my head was clear. "Sorry, a misunderstanding," I muttered. My head was spinning and the aching was worse near my stomach.

He was quiet for a moment before saying mildly, "You're pretty, you know." He said it in such a clueless way that I just had to laugh.

"I've got to go now," I said quickly, and slipped out the door before he could protest.

However, once I was out, I closed it and leaned against the door, breathing hard. Half of me wanted to turn around and go back, but I really needed Zac right now...

"Ahhh!" I screamed as the door fell away behind me. I toppled backwards and into his chest.

"Hey there!" Alex said in shock. I lay there for a moment and my need for him turned into unwillingness. If I stayed here any longer I knew I would fall apart.

"Look, I really have to go," I said, straightening up. "It wasn't supposed to be like this... I was supposed to be gone a long time ago." And I pulled away, escaping down the hallway.

```

Steadying my breath from running such a long distance, I rang the doorbell of the empty flat in the apartment building.

There were footsteps on the other side, and then the door opened a crack. Then, more, when the person saw who it was.

"Ash! Come heeere..." Zac pulled me inside and proceeded to kiss down my neck. I held still and enjoyed it thoroughly, as much as my body ached.

When he was done, he released me and I stood there, smiling at him in a dazed sort of way. He grinned back knowingly. "You came back."

"I always need you, Zac," I said, not really knowing what I was saying by this point. A little twinge of pain twisted at the bottom of my stomach, and quickly disappeared.

"Is it me you need?" I followed him into his room as he reached into a drawer and pulled out a little bag.

"Of course." I handed over the twenty.

"Ohh, my good baby! You've done so well," he crooned. "You want some?"

He transferred some into another, smaller bag and handed that one to me, along with a lighter and foil. I slipped into the bathroom.

Bracing myself on the toilet, I poured some of the powder onto the foil. I lit the lighter underneath and pressed my mouth over the melting powder.

Instantly, every live wire in my body was smoldered. I was numb, then I was floating.

It felt really good. I was alive again. I went to thank Zac.
♠ ♠ ♠
ooh, my first update in... FOREVER.
i think you know ash now. (;

AH - i got underoath's "they're only chasing safety" and im in love! <3

xx