The Experiment

01

“Dr. Wards, you have proved to be the best scientific in this company and now we need you, are you willing to help us?” asked Cohen, Ellyn Wards boss.
She frowned, she wasn’t stupid, and she wasn’t going to give her word without knowing what all that was about.
“I can think about it if you tell me what it is” she said rearranging some papers on her desk and closing some folders. Everything was happening too fast, she got an office just three months ago and now her boss needed her help!?
“Some of the best Scientifics here are working in a secret project for the government… I’m not allowed to talk about it here, but basically you will be working with genetics and chemistry”
She seemed to be in deep thought. Now everything was getting weirder.
“We will increase your salary”
She narrowed her eyes at him “I will not fall into blackmail Dr. Cohen”
She was one of the younger and best investment Scientifics in the SIG company. She’d been working there for four years. She didn’t have that mush experience, but she could tell that something wasn’t right there… and she wanted to know what. No one called a young inexperienced scientific to do a job for the government.
“I’m in” she said
He smiled with satisfaction
“When do we start?” she asked
“Right now” he said walking to the door “… follow me”

She stood up and followed him; they passed the chemicals rooms, the mix room and some labs. They walked down the stairs heading to the chemical’s storage. She was confused; there was nothing down there why he wanted to uh! She was shocked, he pushed what looked like a button and an entire rack full of old chemicals moved aside revealing a hidden lab. It was amazing; it was well illuminated and had the ultimate technology, technology she didn’t know that existed!
“With all this technology you should look for the cure of cancer!!” she exclaimed
“We already have one Dr. Wards”
She was shocked “What!?” did she heard him right?
“We have the cure for cancer” he repeated
“People don’t know that!!”
“People are not suppose to know”
What was he talking about? They could be saving lives with that cure, why nobody knew about it!
“Why? What are you doing with it?” she asked
“Selling it to millionaires” he answered “besides, there’s a lot of money and jobs at stake if we make it public”
“People need it!”
“World is not fair Dr. Wards, now I need you to sign this contract” he lend her a simple paper “It says things like what you hear and see here stays here, take the cure of cancer for example, no one must know, you can’t bring or take out things from here. This place do not exist Dr. Wards, remember that” he said, his face serious. He could be scary sometimes; he was always in black tuxedos with black ties and white shirts. He was tall and had an aura that literally said ‘step aside unless you want to die’ yep! He was definitely scary.
“Okay” she nodded and read the paper. She agreed with all the terms so she took out a pen to sign it, but stopped
“I must have a copy of this”
“You will” Cohen answered with his scary dead tone
She signed it and then gave him the paper. He placed it on a white binder that was on top of a table
“Now if you please follow me”

He led her to a white empty room that looked like a testing room and closed the door
“Stay still” he said
She flinched when the lights turned off and millions of green and blue lights flashed in the room. It felt like she was inside of a scanner!
“Just security protocols” he said
Security protocols her ass! It looked like a C.I.A. movie! Awesome!!
The wall before her opened, like a sliding door. Wow! Her mouth was hanging open. She never knew that place was so huge and cool! There were tons of weird machines —some she knew, some she didn’t— of all styles and sizes. You could hear the chemicals boiling and the air itself smelled like chemicals… This was heaven for her!!
“Let me introduce you to your partners” he said walking towards three guys that were sitting in a round table reading some papers. The three of them looked to be professional Scientifics; they were even wearing the white gowns.
“This is Charles Wesley” Cohen said, pointing towards a gray-haired man that looked to be on his mid-forties. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He was handsome, but his black hair mixed with gray made him look a bit old.
“This is William Dawson” Cohen then pointed towards a brown-haired man that definitely seemed to be on his fifties; the man nodded and smiled, she smiled back. And finally Cohen pointed towards a chestnut-haired guy that seemed to be of Ellyn’s same age; he had brown hair and a charming smile… he was cute. “This is Dean Williams” She smiled to him and he smiled back.
“They are your new partners Dr. Wards” Cohen said “Now, this is your project” he opened another door. She gasped when she entered. In the middle of the room was a guy in a kind of hospital bed with monitors all around him.
“Is he dying?”
“No doctor, he’s perfectly fine, but he’s in a forced coma”
“He doesn’t know he’s in coma!?”
“He doesn’t know he’s alive”