The Experiment

02

Ellyn went back to her office thinking about that guy and the experiment her boss wanted her to do… it was impossible!! Of all the things she was supposed to do this was the most that surprised her. He wanted her to find a way to enter people’s mind and manipulate their memories. She opened her office’s door and was startled to find a box lying on top of her desk, with a note that said ‘here’s everything you need’… they were fast. She opened it… wow! She found a blackberry cellphone, a copy of her contract, her new schedule and a folder with big red letters that said Top Secret. It caught her attention. She sat on her chair and opened the folder. It had files about the poor guy they were experimenting on.
Name: Adael Vaughn Richards
Born in US in 1985.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Turquoise
Mother: Idelle Richards
Father: Daniel Vaughn
There was everything about him even his social security number. She wondered, since when he was there? People didn’t notice his disappearance? What about his friends? She passed the page and couldn’t believe what she saw. In the front page of a newspaper of 1978 said: Disappeared Child. She read the article, she was astonished. Now she understood why dr. Cohen told her that he didn’t know he was alive. They kidnapped him when he was three and a half months. How could they do that!? That was inhuman! She closed the binder and stormed out of her office.

“How could you do that to him!!!” she stormed in Dr. Cohen’s office. He was attending a call. He raised a finger telling her to wait a second. “yes, I will” he said to the person on the phone and hanged up “Can I help you dr. Wards?” He asked politely. Ugh! She hated that fake innocent tone.
“That’s inhuman!!!”
“What?”
“What you did to him! He could be living a normal life”
He smiled “Life’s not fair Dr. Wards”
She hadn’t realized—until now— how mush she hated him “But—”
“Doctor” he cut her off “We called you just to experiment on him” great! A nice way of saying ‘Mind your own business!’ this guy was a genius when it came to nicely insult people.
“Now, I suggest you go home, is late and I have things to do”
She narrowed her eyes at him, pure hatred in them …if only looks could kill. She turned around and headed to the door.
“I will wait for you tomorrow Dr. Wards” he said in his usual tone—a tone that said ‘I’m better than you, deal with it’ She took a deep breath, drowning all the dirty words that were about to leave her mouth. He was her boss after all. She exited his office and went to hers. She grabbed her purse, some folders and the new items her company gave her and opened the door to leave. She was so mad that she was walking faster than usual, so when she exited her office she didn’t saw the person in front of her and stumbled with him. All her folders fell to the ground
“Oh! Sorry!” the man said and bent over to pick up her things
“It’s okay” she bent over too “…Dr. Williams?” she said when she had a good look of the person
“Hello!... please call me Dean” he was one of her partners in the experiment… the cute one.
“What are you still doing here?” she asked
“I was about to leave, but then I saw you storm in your office and I decided to see what happened” he answered, handing her the folders she dropped
“Thanks” she smiled, taking the folders “…I was mad”
“With Cohen?”
She nodded
“Just ignore him, he’s a jerk without a life”
She chuckled “Well, I better get going” she said and walked towards the elevator. He followed her “Since we’re going to the same parking lot I’ll be a gentleman and I’ll walk you to your car” he said with a smile. She smiled back. The elevator doors opened and both of them entered. He marked the button with the letter ‘P’ and automatically the doors closed.
“Since when are you experimenting on him?” she asked
“One year, three months and two weeks” he answered
She raised an eyebrow thinking how weird the guy was. How did he know that?
“It’s recorded in my laptop” he said as if answering her thoughts
She mouthed an ‘oh’
“Did they gave you a folder with his information?” she asked
“Yes” he nodded “all of us have it”
“And you’re not against of what you’re doing to him?”
“I’m only doing this for money… what about you?”
“I’m not sure” she shrugged, but then thought “I’m not sure if I want to do this anymore”
Unluckily for her, there was no turning back now.