City of Blinding Lights

six

Men are hardly ever punctual and Caleb certainly did not want to disappoint this presumption that had been created by annoyed and time keeping females. So rather unwillingly he found himself jogging towards one of Paris' countless metro stations, fifteen minutes later than he had originally hoped for.

Audrey however, true to female stereotype was perfectly on time, but she did not mind in the slightest when she spent fifteen minutes waiting on her own. She felt at ease in Paris and the size of the city did not affect her in the least. She blended into the scenery perfect, dressed true to the fashionable style of the French, in a vintage high waisted skirt with a white strap top tucked into the skirt band. Around her hips was a chunky belt and her favourite flats adorned her feet. In anticipation of a drop in evening temperature she was also wearing a light grey cardigan.

And then at last Caleb had turned up.

"I'm so sorry I'm late I got…" Caleb said attempting to catch his breath once he had finally reached Audrey.

"Lost?" She offered with a knowing smile on her face.

"Not really, just got a little held up," Caleb said bashfully, wanting at all costs to avoid bringing up the word 'lost' again. He must look like such a fool to her.

Audrey however smiled kindly at him and discreetly took in his outfit; grey jumper, skinny jeans and a pair of shoes that made the designer in her scream fashion crime.

"Were you in a rush by any chance?" Audrey asked trying to keep both the horror and laughter out of her voice, which nevertheless shook with controlled amusement.

"Sort of why?" Caleb asked cautiously, not liking where this conversation was going.

"It's just your shoes look a little like slippers," Audrey said with a smile, not meaning the comment to offend or spite him, she was just saying what she thought.

Caleb however took it in his stride and laughed good humouredly, looking down at the shoes that were an interesting cross between slippers and Native Indian moccasins. He shook his head amiably and declared that they were the comfiest shoes he had ever worn and at least they weren't Crocs. Audrey had to laugh again at this, and this was to become a growing concern of hers. Caleb made her laugh too much. She felt too at ease with him, she felt too comfortable for it to last.

However at this point in time she didn't dwell on either of those thoughts for long.

"Come on we need to go," Audrey said and gestured down the stairs of the metropolitan.

Caleb followed her down the slippery stairs inquiring where they were going; yet Audrey only shot him a smile and shook her head.

"You'll just have to wait and see."

They only just made the train they were aiming to get, jumping into the carriage just in time before the doors slammed shut. Three stops and one change over later they followed the 'SORTIR' signs up the stairs and soon enough they were in open space again.

"Oh wow," was all Caleb could say as his eyes landed on the trademark of Paris that was peaking through the trees of the area around them. The Eiffel Tower.

During the time they had been on the metro, the sun had disappeared and now it was a warm night of dark blue skies and the bright lights of the Eiffel Tower shined brighter than any of the stars that were hanging in the sky. An angelic glow seemed to flow off the tower as it stood there, tall and strong into the dark blue backdrop of a perfect evening.

"I wasn't sure if you'd been here yet but obviously not," Audrey said with a smile. "You want to go all the way to the top?"

It was a question that would not have been necessary, Caleb's child like enthusiasm sprang at once to the surface and he only shrieked a joyful yes and ran ahead, arms flailing around his head.

Audrey shook her head, laughing to herself and pulled the tickets she had purchased earlier from her bag, before jogging after Caleb whose sprit had been cut short as he stood gasping and clutching his side.

"Not the sporty type then?" Audrey asked, with an unmasked grin on her face.

Caleb could only shake his head as he paused to catch his breath.

It took them longer to reach the Eiffel Tower than Caleb had original thought, as the metro stop that they had arrived at was a good ten minutes walk away from the mass of steel and iron that was the trademark of France.

However they made it there and only once Caleb and Audrey were stood directly under the steel giant, did Caleb fully appreciate the sheer beauty of the construction. Up close the tower looked so much bolder ands stronger than he had seen on pictures, where the tower looked almost delicate. His face held sheer joy as he glanced up with awe lining his face. Audrey nudged Caleb, bringing him out of his slight reverie, but his enormous grin was soon in place when Audrey showed him the tickets that she had managed to reserve, and which enabled them to take a lift all the way to the top.

After twenty minutes of anxious nail biting on Audrey's part and complete ecstasy on Caleb's account they were finally on top of the colossal creation.

Caleb ran straight away to the edge of the viewing platform, holding onto the rails and taking in every detail of the Paris city skyline. The city was even more beautiful, if that was even possible, in the dark. The lights shined brighter than any stars Caleb had ever seen, and he was about to announce this to Audrey whom he assumed was standing next to him, but when he turned she was not there.

In fact she was stood rooted to the same position, next to the elevator where Caleb had left her. On her face was a terrified expression as she glanced around her surroundings with a slight note of panic in her eyes.

"Audrey?" Caleb asked carefully, taking a step to her. "You ok?"

She snapped out of whatever state of mind she had been in, and her wide-eyed gaze fixed on Caleb.

"I… I… I just realized how bad I was with heights," she said her voice slightly shaking and betraying her true feelings about the situation.

Despite her fear, it warmed Caleb's heart slightly. The fact that she had taken him here, when it was a place that held her greatest fear, was a sign of selflessness to him, something that he knew to cherish.

"Come on," Caleb said softly and held out his hand to her.

She looked at it wearily before glancing into Caleb's eyes, where she was confronted with sympathy and a willingness to help. So without a second thought Audrey took hold of his hand, feeling immediate more secure once he had a firm and warm grip on her own shaking hand.

"Close your eyes."

The panic must have sprung to life in her green eyes again because Caleb chuckled and squeezed her hand lightly.

"Just trust me ok?"

Nodding slightly Audrey shut her eyes and let herself be led forward by Caleb. He instructed her to place her free hand out in front of her, and she was met with the cool touch of the metal railing. She could feel the presence of Caleb behind her and his warm breath tickled her exposed neck.

"Now slowly open your eyes."

It took a few seconds for Audrey to fulfil this command, scared of the great heights that her eyes would be met with. Yet once her eyes were open the sheer beauty of what was in front of her literally took her breath away, it caught in her throat and for all but three seconds Audrey Tateman was actually breathless.

"Wow," she breathed softly as she took in the blinding city lights that twinkled at them as if they were shining only for them.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Caleb said with a smile as he rested his chin on Audrey's shoulder. She just nodded and after a while, having accustomed to the height and the presence of Caleb directly behind her, she left herself lean into him and he gently placed his free arm around her waist, holding her securely to him in a loving and terribly romantic way.

They were in the city of romance after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Too clique? I want an honest opinion.
Please do feedback this, I work my arse off for it. I was up til two last night writing this so a little feedback would make my day.
If someone could make me a pretty banner for this story I would be uber happy.
Kisses.