Heart-Shaped Box

Basket Cases

Heart-Shaped Box began to play on the radio as Kemmy and Kurt hung out at Tre's during practice.

"This is one of my favorite Nirvana songs," Kemmy commented with a sigh. "I played a cover of it at a concert." She chewed on a guitar pick. "You wrote it for Courtney, right?"

"Yeah...who is really old by now, I imagine," Kurt conjectured.

"Yeah." Kemmy examined the guitar pick, which was somehow still intact.

"I have a question for you."

"Shoot," Kemmy replied, trying not to make it obvious that she found him very attractive.

"Are you... Do you have a thing for that Billie Joe guy?"

"Uhh --" Kemmy blushed. "Well, he's every teenage girl's dream! I had a crush on him, but we're not dating or anything, besides, he's waay too old for me--"

"Just wondered," Kurt said innocently.

"Eh - well, the answer is no," Kemmy stated firmly.

"Riiight."

"Shut up!!!" Kemmy hissed and threw the guitar pick at him, which didn't do much damage. She got up to turn off the radio, which had gone into commercials.

"Why'd you kiss him?"

Kemmy whirled around, startled. "What? I don't know what you're talking about."

"Billie Joe. I heard from Mike. He's really worried. He thinks you two might have had sex, which would be really bad. And I'm concerned."

"Ha." Kemmy folded her arms. "Mike is making too big of a deal out of it. And since when am I your concern?"

"I'm not really sure." Kurt's eyes dropped. "You're not...in love with him, are you?"

Kemmy's eyes were emotionless. "I - I'm not." Her face was unreadable.

"Good, because I'm starting to really like you." He smiled and kissed her on the forehead. "You don't strike me as an idiot, Kemmy. Don't get tangled up with a guy that much older than you."

"You're wrong about the idiot thing," muttered Kemmy. "But it's easier to make that mistake than you'd think."

"Just don't hang out with him anymore. You're not tempted, he can't try anything, simple solution."

"One problem," Kemmy pointed out. "Tre's my mentor. And Billie Joe's known to drop by randomly... that's how we met, you know." She took a breath. "And he's my friend..."

Kurt shrugged. "Do what you have to." Then added, "but you didn't answer my question: why'd you do it?"

"I had a crush on him," Kemmy answered simply. "And it didn't help that I was drunk..."

"Maybe I should try getting you drunk," Kurt joked. Which earned him a glare from Kemmy.

*~*~*

Tre's doorbell rang. "That'll be Kemmy," he told Billie Joe, who merely raised his eyebrows. Tre sighed and opened the door.

"Hey, Tre!" Kemmy greeted him brightly. "I'd like you to meet someone. This is Cassie - do you remember her? The guitarist in my band? Well, she's a big Green Day fan..."

Cassie smiled and waved. "Hey."

"Come on in," Tre said nervously, blushing a little.

They all sat down on the couch, and Kemmy whispered something to Tre. Tre just nodded a little, but kept his eyes on Cassie. Kemmy just giggled. "Aww."

"Where's Mike Dirnt?" asked Cassie.

"Oh, he only comes over here for practice. Billie Joe is over here like...every other day," Tre answered with a laugh.

"I can't believe I'm actually meeting you guys." Cassie looked really excited. "I mean, I know you came to see us at that one concert, but hanging out? This is awesome!"

"Well, want to go get something to eat? I'm starved," Tre said, getting up. "Hey Cassie, you want to ride with me?"

"Sure!" Cassie jumped up and as she passed by Kemmy, mouthed, "he's hot."

Kemmy tried to smile encouragingly and gave her the thumbs-up. Shoot, looks like I'm riding with Billie Joe... since I don't want to get in between Tre and Cassie - they're so into each other... and I don't want to ask to use her car... so it looks like --

"C'mon, Kemmy, we gotta get there first," Billie Joe joked as if there were nothing to be worried about.

"Alright!" She hoped she sounded enthusiastic.

*~*~*

"I feel like you're mad at me," Billie Joe said softly, occasionally stealing a glance at Kemmy's sad face.

"Believe me, I'm not. There's no one I could be less mad at," Kemmy replied, sounding like she was in pain.

He sighed. "Well it seems like it. You never talk to me anymore, you never laugh at my stupid jokes, you never give me hugs or anything anymore..."

"I'm just scared," came her reply, and she did sound afraid.

"Of what?"

"I'm scared that I'm going to fall in love with you."

*

*

*

*

Cassie had popped in a Burning Igloos CD.

"So how long have you and Kemmy been friends?"

"Years and years," Cassie said wistfully. "We started the band just a few years ago though - and the rest is history."

"I like your music," Tre commented. "It's got a lot of emotion in it."

"Thanks. You already know this, but I like yours too." Cassie smiled.

"Let me ask you something... I know I should just assume the answer's yes, but ... do you have a boyfriend?" Tre asked. "I mean, I know you could have any guy you want, so--"

"No," Cassie answered, grinning. "And thanks but I don't think so."

"Come on, who wouldn't want a pretty girl like you?"

"Do you?" She looked right into his eyes.

Tre had parked the car in front of the restaurant. He looked surprised. "W-well..." He looked adorably shy. "Yeah." He ran a hand through his hair.

"You're so cute!" Cassie told him happily and kissed him quickly on the lips.

Tre, looking shocked but elated, got out of the car and held the door open for her. "After you, milady."

They walked around the parking lot.

"Where are Billy Joe and Kemmy?" Cassie asked.

"They'd better show up," muttered Tre.

"Why? Afraid of being alone with me?" Cassie teased.

"Nah, I just was, and I liked it," replied Tre with a playful look which changed to worry. "They have a reputation for ... changing plans."

"Shit, Kemmy didn't tell me anything about her and Billie Joe being anything more than friends," Cassie murmured. "I hope she's not doing anything... stupid."
♠ ♠ ♠
Might take a while for the next chapter, but drumming calls you know, I'm trying my best to make time for writing and music :P
But I'll have it up here soon. Thanks for all your support/feedback guys!!