Heart-Shaped Box

For the Moment...

"I know this must be hard for you...having your best friend in such a life-threatening situation..." Billie Joe kept his eyes on the road. "I'm sorry."

"It's not me you need to be worried about," Kemmy said softly. "It's Tre."

"I can't help but worry about you...you know that?" Billie Joe remarked bitterly. "I know, I said that I was going to let go of you... but it's been...difficult."

"It hasn't been easy for me, either," Kemmy admitted, her voice quiet.

In fact, not seeing you, being with you...'Not easy' doesn't even begin to describe it. It's been hellish. Kemmy tried to keep her expression calm, but her heart was beating fast.

*~*~*

Tre rubbed his tired, sleep-deprived eyes. "Hang in there, baby," he whispered to Cassie's sleeping form, hanging between life and death.

Or so he thought before the doctor walked in smiling.

"She's going to be fine," she told him. Tre jumped up and punched the air.

"Ha!" he yelled. "In your face!" He whooped and ran around the room and kissing Cassie on the top of the head. "I knew it!"

*~*~*

"Just like that?" Kemmy asked softly. "And everything's better...one minute my world is in shambles, and the next...oh, I'm so glad you're okay!" She hugged Cassie tightly.

"Don't suffocate me," Cassie joked. "I'm done with being in critical condition for a while."

"This calls for a special celebration," Kemmy hinted. "Near-death experience...and Tre stayed with you all the while you were in the doctor's...how sweet. Don't you think that's devotion?"

"A party?" Cassie feigned innocence.

"No, you need to shag him," Kemmy corrected.

This time Cassie looked thoughtful. She smiled and, borrowing Kemmy's phrase, replied, "I just might do that." Cassie examined Kemmy's slightly troubled expression. "So how are you and Kurt?"

"Fine, great, you know. No problems or anything."

"That's good," Angel said, but looked concerned at Kemmy's lack of willingness to talk about Kurt. "Hey... nothing happened between you and Billie, did it? While I was unconscious?"

"No..." Kemmy smiled weakly. "Fortunately."

"You never talk about Kurt to me," Cassie pointed out. "I'm just saying. You used to be so open, and now there's all this secrecy! Seriously, what's going on?"

"It's just... I dunno, maybe it's that thing where you can never forget someone you really cared about once. I keep wondering if - if Billie and I had something special...something that you can't just throw away and forget about...something that takes most people years to find." Kemmy's eyes began to water. "I keep wondering. And I can't stop it!"

*~*~*

Kemmy lay awake in bed, unable to sleep.

Do I still care about you, Billie?

I don't want to hurt you....Kurt...but I just can't seem to ---

Her phone vibrated.

'babe since i know u dont sleep wanna hang out at the studio tonite lol'

Kemmy couldn't help but smile. 'sure i'll be there just give me a sex' and hit send.

She was putting on her jacket when she realized her error (she had a phone with a qwerty keypad)...

"OH SHIT!"

She grabbed her phone.

'Sorry I meant sec'

'lmfao' she got in response.
♠ ♠ ♠
that little "sex accident" was based off of a mistake i made X]

oh, and by chapter 15 or something the winner of the Kurt vs. Billie Joe coin flip shall be revealed. ;D (i had to flip a coin to see who Kemmy ended up with.)