Heart-Shaped Box

See You Again

"I keep having this song in my head, and I don't know what it is," Kurt confided to Kemmy.

"Sing it to me." She rested her head on his shoulder affectionately.

"She eyes me like a Pisces when I am weak
I've been locked inside your heart-shaped box for weeks
I've been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap
I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black..."

"That's Heart-Shaped Box... one of your songs." Kemmy smiled. "I always loved that song."

"Funny how I can't remember ever writing that," Kurt muttered. "Strange lyrics, huh?"

"I think it's really good. Makes you analyze it. I loved the bit about meat-eating orchids--"

"What the hell was I thinking when I wrote that?" Kurt asked with a laugh.

"It's not random though, as much as you might think..."

They talked a little while longer and ended up kissing.

"You know... sometimes I feel like that," Kurt admitted. "Like I'm locked in a heart-shaped box."

He looked at her. "Sometimes I feel... trapped, by my emotions... my feelings for you." He took a breath. "You know, I look at you and I just... can't see what I feel reflected back. I feel like I'm still chasing you, somehow. Like you're not really here..."

"That's kinda strange." Kemmy bit her lip. "But I know what you mean by being trapped by emotions..."

"Well... I still don't feel like you love me back - I know, you're just going to say you do, but it doesn't seem like it sometimes." He sighed. "No matter how close I get to you...you seem so far away...why is that? Am I just messed up? Is it me? I have no fucking idea."

"There's nothing wrong with you," Kemmy assured him. "I'm just tired, that's all..."

"I guess."

*~*~*

"Let's go over this one more time," Billie Joe instructed. "Keep it quiet, Tre... and we'll start to build during the prechorus--"

"Hey!" Kemmy stuck her head through the doorway. "You guys busy?"

"Yes," answered Mike quickly. "We'll be out in a sec, though."

"Never mind, then..." Kemmy closed the door. She really shouldn't be at Tre's. But nothing happened with her and Billie in the car the other day... so maybe it was okay now. The thought cheered her up. Maybe she was finally immune to the Billie Joe effect.

She drove by Kurt's. The lights were down...ish. But his car was still there. That was odd.

Kemmy decided to keep driving despite a warning note in her head. 'Nothing's wrong,' she told herself firmly. 'I'm just being paranoid because I'm the one cheating...in my heart.' She took a breath.

*~*~*

"I've got this crazy feeling
Deep inside
You called and asked to see me
Tomorrow night
I'm not a mind reader
But I'm readin' the signs
That you can't wait
to See me Again..."

Billie Joe winked and grinned as he sang the chorus.

"Oh woah woah I, I can't wait
to See You Again!"

Tre and Mike both looked mortified but played along.

The crowd screamed and roared. A few people booed but were grinning.

"What the hell? Miley Cyrus? Since when did Green Day do covers of Miley Cyrus..." Kemmy muttered. She made a mental note to ask Tre about it. It was actually pretty creepy.

*~*~*

"Why, Billie?" Tre moaned as they went backstage. "What posessed you to make us do that song?"

Billie Joe shrugged and grinned. "To scare the shit out of our fans."

"That was the most embarrassing moment of my life," Mike growled.

Cassie ran up to Tre and hugged him tightly. "Are you feeling okay?" she asked nervously, feeling his forehead. "You're not.. sick or anything are you?"

"Blame Billie, not me," muttered Tre. "I'm fine.... he's the one who's mentally ill," he said accusingly, gesturing towards Billie Joe, who just raised his eyebrows and smiled.

"It's true. I'm a Basket Case."

Kemmy came in laughing. "You have no idea how creepy that sounding coming from you guys."

Billie Joe gave her a hug. "That was kind of the point."

*~*~*

"It was pretty funny though," Kemmy said with a laugh as she and Billie Joe were helping load instruments into the vans.

Billie Joe chuckled. "Thanks." He pulled a Green Day cap out of a box of merchandaise and put it on Kemmy's head over her eyes. "There you go."

"I can't see, you idiot!"

When she took it off, Billie Joe's face was a lot closer to hers than she'd remembered -

Just as their lips were about to meet, Kemmy pulled back and muttered, "can't... I'm in love with Kurt now."

She turned around and left without glancing back.

Billie Joe stood by the van, holding the cap...
♠ ♠ ♠
See. she can be faithful. sort of.