Dear God, Why'd you Send me to a Host Club?

Fake Smiles and Creepy Ghosts

My eyes fluttered open. I expected daylight to be streaming in through the windows, but was surprised when I found it was still dark outside. I looked at the clock on the nightstand beside my bed.

Damn. It's only 1 a.m.

My stomach grumbled, complaining about the lack of food inside of it.

"All right, I'm going...!" I muttered. I got up from the bed and poked my head out the door. There was no one in sight. I crept out into the hallway, then took a step to my right.

Squeak.

I froze. Praying silently that no one would hear me, I took another step.

SQUEAK.

Why is it getting louder?! Ah, hell.


I ran for it, hoping that the godforsaken squeaking would stop. But no. It sounded like I had a parade of mice behind me.

After a few minutes, I stopped to catch my breath, leaning on the wall beside me.

As soon as I put my weight on it, it clicked and turned right, bringing me with it. I yelped in surprise. Before I knew it, I was thrown into some dimly lit, secret passageway.

Ah, hell. Nothing to do but walk.

This passageway only went to the left, so I walked that way for a bit. After a few minutes, the passageway opened up into a huge room with a desk and a large computer. Someone was sitting there, clicking away. Then the clicking stopped, and they stood up.

"Yuki? What're you doing up at this late hour? And in my study, at that."

My eyes narrowed at the familiar voice of Kyouya, the one person I didn't want to run into while on my excursion. "I should ask you the same question." I blinked in the dim light. "And can't you turn the lights on or something? I feel like I'm going to go blind in this darkness."

He chuckled. "It's really that dark? I must be used to it, then...." He trailed off, but hit a button on his desk which turned up the lights.

Sheesh. No wonder you wear glasses.

I took another look at the room. The walls were bare except for a single mirror and the wallpaper that covered them. The floor was a darker shade of wood, along with the desk and chair.

"You never answered my question." Kyouya spoke suddenly, and I jumped. He had moved to where he was right in front of me.

My stomach answered for me, growling loudly.

I could feel the heat on my face, but said nothing. Kyouya, on the other hand, chuckled. "I'll show you to the kitchens." He started walking, then stopped suddenly.

"Kyouya?" I asked. I hesitated, then moved forward and put my hand on his shoulder. "Is everything okay?"

"Sorry," He apologized, "I thought I just saw a spider."

I shuddered. We started walking again, this time side by side. "How old is your house, anyway?"

"It was built in the eighteen hundreds, shortly after Americans first officially visited Japan." He turned his head, "Why do you ask?"

"I knew it. I knew this was an old, creepy house."

That explains the squeaky floors and secret passageways.

He smiled a bit, "At least you didn't run into the ghost."

I stopped walking. "The... the what?"

"The ghost. According to the house help, there's a ghost that roams around the hallways late at night. But I wouldn't worry about --" He stopped, then looked back at me.

"Ghost?" I squeaked. The one thing that creeped me out more than spiders and dark, old houses was the supernatural. To be blunt: ghosts. Spirits. Whatever you want to call them.

"You're not seriously afraid, are you?" He asked incredously.

I mentally shook myself. "Of course not."

There's no way I'm letting this jerk know my fears, or anything remotely personal about me.

He gave me an odd look, then resumed walking. I followed. After a few minutes, we reached the end of the passageway. There was no door, only a wooden archway, blocked off with boards. Kyouya pulled a lever next to the arch, and the entire segment of wall turned on its side, allowing us to pass through.

"So how many secret passageways and hideouts are there?" I asked after we'd re-entered the hallway and were walking again.

"Too many to count. I'd found and explored most of them as a child, but some were and still remain blocked off or locked."

A small silence followed. We turned a corner and came upon a vast room filled with all the latest appliances. The only one I was interested in, however, was the gigantic fridge. I opened the door, grabbed a bowl full of various chopped fruits, and sat down at the bar. Kyouya got some silverware and we dug in.

Well, I dug in. Kyouya, on the other hand, ate slowly. Pausing for a moment, I observed his eating habits.

A napkin in his lap, no elbows on the table, eating slowly.... He must've been to manners school or something.

After I'd had my fill, I leaned back in the comfortable barchair and sighed in contentment.

"You've got something on your face." Kyouya pointed out.

"Huh? Where?"

Before I knew it, one of his hands was cupping my cheek while the other was wiping something off with a napkin. As soon as the moment had come, it passed. He let go. "There."

He then continued eating.

I stared incredously at him. What the hell, asshole?!

I swallowed my thoughts and instead thanked him. I'm sure I had a weird look on my face, because as I was thanking him, I was trying so hard not to add "asshole" to the end of the sentence. That, and he was smiling at me.

Seriously, what the hell? I can't figure this guy out. If that Tamaki guy had done it, I could've just wrote it off as sexual harassment and slapped him. But with Kyouya.... I can't tell if he's got a motive behind his actions or if he's just being nice.

While my thoughts were scrambling together, he had put away the fruit and silverware and was standing at the door. "Ready?" He smiled at me.

Okay. He's definitely got a motive behind that fake, creepy smile.

"No, I think I'll just stay here and look around for a little bit. I can find my room from here, thanks."

"All right, but if you need me, I'll be in my room." He smiled again, and it seemed as if his face was sparkling.

Which one?

"Okay. Thanks." I beamed my biggest fake smile right back at him. As soon as his footsteps faded away, I sighed and rested my head on the table.

What's he playing at? And why?
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. This is one of the longest chapters I've written in a LONGGGG time.

So tell me what you think? What's Kyouya up to? Why is Yuki always so suspiscious of others? And will the ghost make an appearance?

Personally, I have no idea. :]

Bwahaha.

Mwuah.<3
~Chez