Status: Completed

Best Thing In Town

Band Of Gold

And so here it was. May 15, 2006. A warm, sunny day with the slightest of breezes coming off the bay and rustling through the foliage of Golden Gate Park. About 150 guests stood anxiously on the beach, awaiting the bride while Mike stood beside the pastor hired to conduct the ceremony. Standing there like that, barefoot on the sand yet wearing a black tuxedo, felt awkward. Everyone was either staring at him and whispering to each other or looking back and wondering when the wedding processional was going to begin.

Sure enough, when the big hand on everyone's watches signified that it was 6:30 in the evening, Tom Delonge and Mark Hoppus, as guests and as a favor for the bride and groom, began playing the instrumental piece 'Canon in D' by Pachelbel. It was mellow yet upbeat with a hint of a punk vibe because, after all, this was the wedding of Green Day's bassist.

Down from the Beach Chalet above and cutting across the sand, came the wedding party. First, Mike's sister Myla and Audrey's youngest brother Austin. Second, Adrienne and Audrey's other brother Mark. Third, Audrey's best friend Val and Tre. Next came the Maid of Honor and the Best Man: Audrey's sister Christina and Billie Joe, arm in arm, and being followed by two sets of flower girls and ring bearers. Katarina with Frankito, and Estelle with Jakob.

As soon as each pairing reached Mike and the pastor, the parted ways and stood so that they were looking down the makeshift aisle at three figures began to approach. Tom and Mark stopped playing 'Canon in D' and changed up to play Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight' with Mark singing. Walking slowly through the sand toward Mike was Audrey, with her father on her right arm and her stepfather on her left, both ready to give her away.

Mike thought he was going to die and go to heaven right there because she looked angelic. She wore this strapless, white satin gown; her eight month pregnant stomach pushing making her look more so like a bell. She had a small lace veil covering her face as she walked. Even though this was a wedding and it was pretty much a spiritual experience, Mike still couldn't help but sneak a peak at her billowing cleavage that was even more full due to the pregnancy.

He smirked as she stopped in front of him with her fathers. Tom and Mark let the music fade away and end as the pastor cleared his throat.

"Family and friends of the bride and groom, welcome to this most special of occasions. The binding of two souls in love," The pastor began. "Who brings this woman to marry this man?"

Audrey's father and stepfather, at the same time, responded, "We do." They then each lifted Audrey's veil up over her head, gave her a kiss, placed her hands in Mike's and then stepped back to join her side of the guests. The pastor unclasped his hands and gestured to the couple.

"This is the time you have chosen to become husband and wife. We are here, not only to witness your commitment to each other, but also to wish you both every happiness in your future life together. Within its framework of commitment and loyalty marriage enables the establishment of a home, where through trust, patience and respect, the love and affection which you have for each other may develop into a deep and lasting relationship. We who are witnessing your marriage, hope that despite the stresses inevitable in any life your Love, Respect for each other, your trust and understanding of each other will increase your contentment and heighten your joy in living."

Mike and Audrey grinned at each other, so happily in each other's presence that it didn't even matter if anyone was there or not. He whispered, "I love you" and she whispered it back, both smiling.

"Everyday you live, learn how to receive love with as much understanding as you give it. Find things within yourself, then you can share them with each other. Do not fear this love. Have an open heart and a sincere mind. Be sincerely interested in each other's happiness. Be constant and consistent in your love. From this comes security and strength. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us on this day of your marriage. Try to commit yourselves fully and freely to each other."

Mike gave a subconscious nod, giving Audrey's hands a squeeze.

"Before you, Mike and Audrey, are joined in marriage in my presence of these your family, friends and witnesses, I am to remind you of the serious and binding nature of the relationship you are now about to enter," the pastor spoke lightly. "I shall now ask you to make your marriage vows."

Audrey could swear her heart was beating a million miles an hour. It didn't help that she felt tears ready to fall down her face in time with the sound of her family and his who were already sobbing and sniffling in the background.

"Michael Ryan, will you take Audrey Elizabeth to be your lawful wife, will you love her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health and forsaking all others keep only unto her so long as you both shall live."

"I will," Mike promised.

The pastor looked at Audrey next. "Audrey Elizabeth, will you take Michael Ryan to be your lawful husband, will you love him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health and forsaking all others keep only unto him so long as you both shall live.

"I will," she replied with a slight sob. She felt tears running down her cheeks and Mike moving his hand to rub them away only made it easier for her to cry all the more.

Billie Joe leaned down at this point to grab one ring from Frankito and the other from Jakob; handing them over to the pastor.

"And now, the rings," the pastor announced. He placed a ring in the palms of Audrey and Mike's hand and gave them a nod.

"Audrey..." Mike spoke, sliding her wedding band on slowly. "With this ring, I thee wed."

"Mike, I love you." She began to laugh as she moved to the ring onto his left ring finger. "And with this ring, I thee wed."

Smiling, the pastor placed his hands on the shoulders of both Mike and Audrey. "You have made special promises to each other which have been symbolized by the joining of hands, taking of vows and by the giving and receiving of rings. By the authority vested in me, according to the laws of the state of California, I now pronounce you to be husband and wife. Now that the ceremony is over and the experience of living day by day is about to begin, go and meet it gladly."

Mike bit his lip as he looked at the pastor for permission to kiss Audrey. He laughed and nodded.

"Go ahead...kiss the bride."

Mike didn't need to be told twice. Cupping his hand behind her neck, he cradled her head and brought his lips upon her and then snaked his free arm around her waist. Throwing her arms around his shoulders, Audrey kissed him back, both of them almost laughing as they did so when Tre hooted from off to the side and someone else -- probably Billie Joe -- said to slip her the tongue.

When the straightened up their posture and turned to face everyone, standing side by side and holding hands, the pastor spoke up in a booming voice.

"Ladies and gentleman, I give you Mr. and Mrs. Pritchard."