Status: Completed

Best Thing In Town

San Francisco (Flowers In Your Hair)

"Okay, everyone shut the hell up!" Billie Joe shouted as the clinking of spoons against wine glasses subsided. The newlyweds looked up from their kiss as the Best Man prepared to make his speech. He smirked down at the two of them holding his wine glass in front of his chest. "I've known Mike, here, since I was ten years old...and I still can't get rid of him," he teased.

Everyone let out a laugh, including the couple; Mike covering his hand over Audrey's.

"It was September of 1982; I'd just lost my dad and there I was sitting in the cafeteria. Ten years old, eating alone, and there comes Mike asking if he could sit down with me. A friendship began at that table. And here we are, almost twenty-four years later and still friends sitting at a table with one another. We've gone through a lot of ups and a lot of downs and we've seen a lot. Including the severed head in that jar in Amsterdam, but that's a story for another time," Billie Joe smirked. "But, the point I'm trying to horribly make is that no matter what we've been through, done or seen, there's one thing for certain. If there's anyone worthy of sharing your life with, your future with, and learning of your past...it's Audrey. And vice versa, I'm sure. I knew it the moment I picked you guys up from the airport on New Year's Eve. A subconscious touch here, a longing glance there. You have a love that people dream about and people, kind of like us, write songs about. So, let's all raise our glasses to Mike and Audrey Dirnt. May your love song be stuck on repeat until the end of time."

Mike looked like he wanted to burst with happy tears and smiles over that speech. Instead, he opted to stand up and take Billie Joe in a bear hug, patting the older guy on the back. Audrey stood up slowly and Billie Joe stepped over to her and wrapped an arm around her to give her a hug as he placed a kiss on her lips, in a platonic way, of course.

As all three sat back down, the clanking of glasses began again. Finding no qualms with that, Mike happily kissed his wife.

* * *

"Ladies and gents, Mike and Audrey's first dance as husband and wife," the DJ announced as Shania Twain's 'Forever And For Always' began to play.

Mike took Audrey by the hand and pulled her onto the dance floor, pressing her as close to him as possible without pushing on her stomach. He was skinny enough so there wasn't a major problem there. He pressed his cheek to hers, wrapped his left arm around her waist and took her left hand in his right.

"Remember our first dance?" he whispered softly in her ear.

Audrey grinned. "How could I not? If it weren't for that dance I doubt we would've been together that night and I wouldn't be with you right now."

They danced together throughout the whole song, ending with Mike dipping her back ever so carefully, like she were a porcelain doll who could shatter at any given moment. After their dance, the father-daughter dance happened, but had to be done twice with two different songs to accommodate the fact that Audrey was going to dance with her father and her stepfather. Then came the mother-son dance involving Mike and his mom. The wedding party came next, followed by all the guests who wanted to move to the dance floor. The sweetest dance involved four generations of women from Audrey's family. John Mayer's song 'Daughters' began to play and Audrey, her grandmother Gloria and her mother Dawn who was holding her daughter Katarina all danced in a small circle, leaning on each other occasionally. It made Mike, who was helping himself to a drink, smile.

Soon came the cutting of the cake, which Audrey was wary of. They held onto the cake knife together, sticking it into the lowest tier and cutting out a slice. Mike slid it onto a plate and sliced it in two and placed two equal pieces on two separate napkins. He took one and handed the other to Audrey who looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"I wasn't there but I saw the video footage of my mom's wedding and I know she got cake up her nose," she informed Mike. "If you repeat history, I will make your life a living hell."

"C'mon! Shove that cake in!" Tre called out.

On the count of three, Mike and Audrey held up their pieces and aimed for each other's mouths. Despite, her warning, Mike shoved the cake in anyway, so she did too. But Mike was the one who ended up with frosting in his nose. Audrey had it smeared on the left side of her face. Both began to crack up at how each other looked. Shrugging, Mike pulled her in and licked her cheek in front of all the guests.

"Mmm, French vanilla creme," he cooed with a devilish grin.

"Punk," she muttered with a smirk.

"In the flesh."

It didn't take long for the bride and groom to get cleaned up, and in Audrey's case, reapply some make-up. They remerged for the traditional taking off of the garter. Sitting down in a chair, Audrey held her bouquet in her hands as Mike knelt down in front of her, wiggling his eyebrows at her. Cheesy strip music began to play over the stereo as he slowly began to lift up her dress, revealing her smooth legs. She bit her bottom lip to keep from giggling as Mike rested the material of the dress on her lap and ran his hands on leg that was adorned with the garter. Leaning forward, he kissed her kneecap then, biting down on the material of the lacy, blue band, Mike used his teeth to drag it all the way down her leg, finally pulling it off over her shoe with his hand.

He stood up after kissing her only to parade around with garter as if showing off a trophy he'd won. As he moved off to the side, Audrey proceeded in throwing the duplicate bouquet over her head into the sea of single women. When she turned around, there was a roar of squeals and laughter as they all scrambled for it. In the end, Audrey's single friend Julie caught it and smiled shyly.

Next, Mike stood, where Audrey had been standing, with the garter in his hands and with his back to the sea of single guys behind him. On the count of three, Mike chucked it backward, one-handed. Hands shot up but it was Tre who nonchalantly walked across all of them and shot his hand up without even looking and snatched it before anyone else got a chance.

Needless to say, Tre putting the garter on Julie was...something to remember. Everyone returned to dancing the night away and when the night came to an end, and the guests began to dwindle, Audrey's grandma took Katarina and were driven back to their house in Oakland, while the other out of town relatives left to go to their hotel rooms that Mike and Audrey were paying for. Those who remained at the reception watched Mike and Audrey get into their limo and drive away.

Mike sat back, entwining his fingers with Audrey's as the limo left Golden Gate Park and head north for Napa Valley where'd they spend the week for their honeymoon.

"You happy?" he asked when she found herself daydreaming. She turned to face him and nodded. "Good."

Leaning toward him, Audrey kissed him. "I swear this was one of the best time's of my life, tonight."

Mike smirked. "Well...you're the best time in my life."