Status: Completed

Best Thing In Town

When The Going Gets Tough

"I can't believe you!" Audrey shouted through gritted teeth, storming from the bathroom into her and Mike's bedroom. She flung a black T-shirt on the bed and when it missed and slid onto the floor she betn down and grabbed it back up in her hand and then threw it onto the bed. Mike stepped out of the bathroom with his arms folded and looking mighty pissed off. "I haven't done anything with myself except stay home with the kids. I did not sign up to become your housewife. I came out here because I thought, 'Hey, this guy wants the best for me and our kids.' Where on the marriage certificate did it say anything about be not having my own free time, Mike?"

He met her glare and stood his ground. "I never said you couldn't have 'free time,' Audrey. But why is it that you have to go to a fucking gym and work with some guy? Why can't it be done here or, like, pair up with Adrienne and go jogging or something? I mean, in the two months since Lorelei has been born your time only seems to be delegated to the kids, housework and going to the gym to work out. And when I'm here, you seem too distracted or tired."

"Uh, yeah! You would be too if you had one kid running around your feet talking your ear off about what she wants for her fifth birthday and the other hanging off your boob, waking up at all hours of the night and leaving you exhausted during the day. At the same time trying to make this damn house look semi-presentable in the event that people come over not to mention I am out of shape and when I can get that free hour or two to myself then, yes, I want to get out of the house and work out. It helps with the stress and helps me clear my mind."

Mike stood there silently. He knew this argument was kinda immature on his part but all he wanted was his wife to be with him. He loved her too much not spend time with her, and lately, they weren't spending anytime. He was in the studio much of the day and when he got back, she took off for about two hours to go to the gym. When she returned she would take a shower and usually fall into bed, dog-tired, only to be awoken a few hours later to feed Lorelei. Then the next day began all over again. That's how the last two months had been for them. The killer for either is that they hadn't made love in two months either. They both wanted to, but the timing was off or they were too tired to do anything.

"What more do you want from me, Mike?" Audrey prodded. "I'm doing my best. And what happened to me being able to work on that book you mentioned? I haven't had the time for that either and I left my job. I feel like a bum and I hate that you're the one bringing home the bacon and I'm not helping out."

He knitted his brow and unfolded his arms, placing his hands on his hips. "I only want you, Audrey. Just you." He took a deep breath and sank down onto the bed, moving the black T-shirt out of the way. Resting his hands on his legs in a way that his elbows bowed outward, he looked up at her with an exasperated stare. "You don't have to bring home the bacon, either. I've worked so hard all my life to get to this point where I could have a financially sound lifestyle so that the people I love didn't have to worry about that stuff. You are helping out so much. This place may not be orderly but it's lived in and that's more than I can say for how it used to be. Before it was just me really living here, not counting the times I was able to have Estelle over. It's a home now, not just a house. So you have contributed in more ways than one. You've given me a home."

Audrey's stern look slowly began to fade as she ran a hand through her hair. "But what about the book? I can't get the time to set aside for that."

"You've got all the time in the world. We've got our whole lives ahead of us. We're still young, Aud. It's not like we're in our golden years. I'm 34, you're 26. I'd say that was still pretty young."

"27."

"What?"

"I'm 27."

Mike straightened up his posture and waved her off. "Not 'til next month."

Both fell silent as they looked down at the floor; thoughts running through each of their heads like monkeys throwing shit and elephants chasing after them and squealing at the sight of the shit. Bringing his hand to his mouth, Mike dragged it down his face and then placed it back on his leg.

"I just realized something." Mike stared up at her and looked similar to a little boy whose dog had been run over.

"What's that?" Audrey wondered, meeting his look halfway.

"How much I've missed you."

Her heart skipped a beat. "I haven't gone anywhere. We've just been...busy."

Dipping his head, Mike stretched his arms out and grabbed onto Audrey's waist, pulling her toward him until she was standing between his legs. Resting his forehead just under her chest, he wrapped his arms around her waist and took a deep breath. Audrey's heart broke in realization of how much she'd missed this as well. Just him and her having a moment together. She brought her hands to the back of his head and ran her fingers through his hair.

"I missed you, too," Audrey commented quietly. "And you don't have to worry about that personal trainer at the gym, either." When Mike lifted his head to look up at her, she smirked. "He looks like he fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."

Though he kept his mouth closed, Mike still broke out into a smile and tilted his head back enough for when Audrey leaned down and pressed her lips to his in a kiss.

"You know something else I realized?" Mike mumbled against her mouth.

"Hmm?"

He pulled back and smiled a little more playfully. "Lorelei's napping and Kat's at Tre's house playing with Frankito."

Audrey's own smile began more of a knowing smirk, her eyes sparkling with the thought they were both sharing. "Yeah. Whatever shall we do?"

Flashing a devilish grin up at his wife, Mike fell back onto the bed, pulling Audrey with him so that she lay on top. He then rolled over and pinned her to the mattress and buried his face in the crook of her neck, nibbling gently on the skin. Scooting them up on the bed a little better, Mike sat up and immediately pulled off his shirt only to descend back to her once again.

After several minutes their clothes began to slowly fall away, strewn onto the floor below. And making love was the only obvious, next step. And, damn, he had been missing this like crazy.

And just as they were really getting into it, they stopped abruptly at the sound emitting from the baby monitor. Shit.

"Lorelei." Audrey rested her hands on Mike's shoulders as she turned her head to the side, listening carefully. When the sound didn't continue, they both sighed. "She's just dreaming."

"Good," Mike smirked, kissing Audrey. "That would've been an awkward way to get blue balled." Audrey laughed and rolled over so that Mike lay underneath her. He looked up at her, taking in the sight of how beuatiful he thought she was. She was so damn beautiful. "God..." he sighed. "You are the sexiest mom in the world. Total MILF," he teased.

"Yeah...well...you're total FILF."

"Father I'd Like to Fuck?" He laughed. "Okay, sure."

They tumbled around the bed, switched who was on top from time to time, and even moved off the bed when Mike fell off and hit the floor with a thud. Audrey cackled at the sight, but crawled off the bed to join him, where they went at it again. In the course of two hours, they made love as many times as possible to make up for the times they'd missed out on in the last two months.

When they finally finished, they slipped into their robes, just as they heard Lorelei began to whimpe and cry over the baby monitor.

"Gotta admit," Mike remarked. "The kid has good timing."

The two of them padded out of their bedroom and down the hall to the nursery that had only recently been repainted pink from the blue it was originally done in. They flicked on the light and walked over to the bassinet. Audrey bent forward and lifted Lorelei up who seemed to stop crying as soon as her parents were there. Laying the baby girl against her chest, Audrey kissed her forehead as Mike craddled the back of Lorelei's head and wrapped an arm around Audrey's waist.

"See what I mean?" he began. "This is home."