Status: Completed

Best Thing In Town

I'm Still Waiting

It had only been three days since the doctor had told Mike about Audrey's coma and the probability of her not ever waking up or even surviving. Gloria and Adrienne had taken turns looking after Katarina and Lorelei while Mike stayed at the hospital almost day and night. He was stay over in a bed they'd set up for him in Audrey's room and only go home to check on the girls, shower and tend to other things. But as soon as he could, he was back to the hospital.

The entire situation had already garnered the attention of the music industry and the world. News reporters came by the hospital, reporting on what had happened at the scene of the accident and what was going on at the hospital. MTV had even sent Gideon Yago to Oakland to cover the 'story.' Billie Joe was at home flipping the channels when he turned to MTV during just as veejay, Sway, was doing his news bit, only to cut to a live feed.

Gideon was standing just outside the hospital Audrey was at and this caught Billie Joe's attention right away.

"As most people know by now, Green Day bassist Mike Dirnt was involved in a near fatal car accident in the early hours of December 10th. Just three nights ago. His wife, Audrey, was severely injured, having been thrown through the windshield and left in a coma. It's not known how Mrs. Dirnt is doing at this time; whether or not her condition is worsening or getting better," Gideon explained. He moved to the side and pointed to a group of people. "Behind me are loyal fans of the punk rock trio, holding signs in support and holding vigil for Dirnt's wife, hoping that there will be a change in her condition that'll be for the better. For now, MTV will stand by and keep the music world up to speed on Mrs. Dirnt's condition.

The news brief ended and cut back to the studio where the veejays all nodded their heads in agreement that they were saying their prayers for Mike and Audrey and their family. Billie Joe turned off the TV, dropping the remote onto the couch cushion beside him as he ran a hand through his disheveled black hair.

* * *

Mike stood outside Audrey's room, and a few feet down, at the vending machine, bending down to grab the bagged snack he'd bought from the little trap door. He opened the package and began to walk back toward the room, still limping, but it was considerably less than three nights before. Mike nodded to a nurse walking by as he pushed open the room door and stepped in. The sound of the machines hooked up to Audrey was so impersonal. So sterile and intimidating. But she looked like a porcelain doll that was simply lying down, and slightly broken.

She walked over to the side of her bed, pulling up a chair to sit down beside her. He picked up the bottle of Pepsi he had left sitting on the small table and uncapped it as he looked at her, taking a small swig. The liquid was flat, but it was something to quench his thirst. Setting it back down, he returned to his snack and grabbed for the TV remote.

"How about some TV, babe?" he asked.

He had hopes that somewhere in Audrey's subconscious, that she could hear him. That the sound of his voice would prove to be helpful in the long run. With a nod, he turned the TV on and flipped the channels, landing on A&E that was doing a special poets of the 19th century. They were mentioning Edgar Allen Poe and the guy on screen began to recite 'Annabel Lee' which slowly struck Mike at the core.

He frowned. "Okay, how about something else? Let's see what's on Comedy Central." He reached the channel and frowned again. They were airing the 80s movie with John Cusack, Better Off Dead. "Great. The world is being not so subliminal."

He turned off the TV and stood up, looking down at Audrey. He pocketed his snack and brought a hand to her cheek that was pale from loss of blood. Her head was bandaged and her face was incredibly bruised. But not being able to see her hazel eyes he loved looking into so much was killing him. They were always so soft and mysterious to him. Beautiful orbs of wonder that seemed to smile no matter what her mood. There was a light in them, but now that light was slowly fading and he just wanted to grab onto it and keep it from distinguishing.

He couldn't accept that he was standing there, watching her die a little each day. It was too harsh a reality to come to terms with. He couldn't accept it and so he wouldn't accept it.

He turned to look over at the bouquet of flowers Tre had bought and he plucked one of the buds off. It was a pink carnation and Mike brought it to his nose for a smell. Running his fingers through her limp hair as gently as he could, he set the flower in the midst of the brown strands.

He smiled, ruefully.

"There's my pretty lady." He leaned down and pressed his lips lightly on her cheek and then sank back down into his chair. "Maybe we should give the TV another chance, huh?"

* * *

A few days later made it a week that Audrey had been in a coma. It was December 17th. Audrey's parents and younger brother had all flown out to California to come stay at Mike's to visit her at the hospital and see the kids. Audrey's brother Austin's 19th birthday had been the day before and he was spending it in the hospital while his sister lie dormant.

Feeling for the kid, Tre took it upon himself to take the younger guy out to a strip club in the city. Granted he couldn't drink alcohol but he still got a lap dance thanks to Tre.

Mike still stayed by Audrey's side as often as possible; rubbing her hands and feet, brushing her hair, talking to her. It was almost tearing Billie Joe up inside to see his friend, his best friend, slowly become a shadow of himself as he kept vigil at his wife's bedside. He took it upon himself to visit Mike in Audrey's room, because it was the only place the bassist seemed to be at anymore.

"Knock, knock," came Billie Joe's voice as he pushed open the hospital room door. Mike looked over as the shorter man stepped inside. "How is she?" he gestured to Audrey.

"The same," Mike sighed. "I guess it's better than being worse."

The Green Day frontman patted Mike on the back, sympathetically. "What about you? How you holding up?"

"I've seen better days, Billie Joe," Mike replied, meeting his friend's glance halfway. Mike sank down into his chair and pointed to the extra for Billie Joe to sit down as well. "You know, it just happened so quickly. If only I hadn't taken the long way home. We could've been back to the house and climbing into bed, all safe and sound, at the same moment that the accident happened."

Billie Joe frowned. "Mike, you can't blame yourself for the accident. You did nothing wrong. That fuckhead fell asleep at the wheel. If he was that tired he shouldn't have been driving in the first place. He should've gotten a hotel room or pulled over to the side of the road." He leaned forward, folding his hands between his knees, shaking his head. "I don't understand why you're not taking the guy for everything he's worth."

"I don't need the money," Mike replied. "And what would be the point anyway? If I sued the guy, would that bring back our unborn child and make Audrey come back to me?" He shook his head at his own question, glancing back to Audrey's sleeping face. "No. She's lost in there. And I can't find her."

"I know," Billie Joe commented lamely. "Well, at least you hit the guy a few times. Worked off some steam, right?"

"Yeah. He's lucky the police pulled me off him in time. I was ready to strangle him until his head popped like a pimple."

"And now?"

"I don't blame him anymore. He made a mistake. A horrible mistake. I've fallen asleep at the wheel a few times, too, but I was lucky enough that nothing happened then. No...I just..." Mike trailed off. "I blame the Powers That Be or the Fates or whoever, for allowing this to happen." Rubbing his hand over his mouth and down his chin, Mike sat back, pushing back his tears like a soldier. "I just want her back."

"D'you try playing 'American Idiot' for her really loud? It worked for that kid in Wales," Billie Joe smirked, trying to get a smile out of Mike. Anything that wasn't a frown.

"Actually, I've thought about it," Mike admitted. "But I'm willing to wait this out...for however long it takes."

The lead singer nodded in understandment. "I hear ya. But don't forget you have three beautiful girls at home who still need their daddy. Audrey wouldn't want you to ignore them just so you could be at her side 24/7. You and I both know she'd be smacking you in the chest right now if she could."

Mike bobbed his head. "Yeah...I know," he concurred, letting his eyes drift back to his Sleeping Beauty.