Status: Completed

Best Thing In Town

I Feel Fine

After two days of observation and Audrey's insistence that she felt fine, she was released from the hospital. Mike picked drove her home and the whole ride was spent in silence because the last time they were in a car together, Audrey ended up in the hospital instead of leaving it. When they arrived to the house, they pulled into the garage and Mike got out first to walk around and open up her door for her like a gentleman and loving home.

He took her hand and helped her out and without a second thought, grabbed her up in a tight embrace. They literally stood there for a few minutes, just holding each other and sharing kisses.

It was so good to have her home. And for Audrey, it was so good to be home. As soon as they were inside the house, they sort of had Christmas all over again, so that Audrey could open all of her Christmas gifts. After that, they spent -- literally -- three hours going through get well cards and the like sent in by fans and other well wishers alike. Some were store bought cards, some handmade, some were actual presents...et cetera, et cetera.

They sat back afterward and watched the tape from Christmas morning and Audrey cooed over seeing Lorelei sitting up on her own while on Mike's chest. By the end of the day, she was feeling tired, so Mike walked upstairs with her and tucked her in like he would Katarina and Lorelei. However, it wasn't long after that Mike retreated to bed after the girls were put to bed as well. He stripped down to his boxers and climbed in beside his wife, almost speechless that she was really there beside him. That he could hold her and not a pillow.

Laying in a spooning position, Mike pulled Audrey closely so that her back pressed against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her waist, entwined their fingers together and placed a kiss on her neck. Audrey smiled to herself and turned around in bed to face him. She removed her hand from his and brought hers to his face, pushed him over a little so that he laid on his back and then she laced her leg between his and laid her head on his chest.

"I'm so glad you're home, babe."

"I'm glad to be home."

* * *

It was New Years Eve again. Exactly one year ago, Mike had brought Audrey and Kat out to California to live with him. That night they'd also had sex up against the bedroom door, amongst other places, when they returned home after tucking Kat into bed.

That night was no exception.

Mike had been eyeing Audrey as she brushed her teeth in the bathroom, asking her almost every two minutes if she was sure she wanted to go out. If she thought she felt up to it. She insisted she was each time. That she was feeling suprisingly well and refreshed, trying to make a joke that she highly recommends sleeping for two weeks straight for anyone feeling stressed or overly tired.

Almost forcing him to smile, by twisting his nipples, literally, she rinsed her mouth and then smirked at him. In retaliation, he grabbed her ass and lifted her up and pressed her against the wall in the bathroom.

And how conveniant that she had nothing on under the oversized T-shirt she was wearing.

* * *

Two hours later, Audrey and Mike were showered, dressed and at Jason White's house. Gloria had insisted they leave Katarina and Lorelei home with her and that they have a good time together. When they arrived to Jason's, they learned everyone's kids had been left with their own family members that weren't going out either. So, this New Years it was simply the adults.

Because Audrey wasn't pregnant this time, she was able to have a glass of champagne with everyone. She got a little buzzed after only two glasses and Mike became worried, wondering if she was feeling okay. Pushing him away playfully, she nodded.

"Quit worrying so much, Mike. I'm not a porcelain doll." She took a sip of her champagne and walked away. Mike frowned after her but shrugged, accepting her statement.

Audrey walked quietly away from the crowd of people in the living room and dining room and stepped into the kitchen where the only person in there was Tre, who was making a sandwich.

"That's random," she remarked.

Tre looked over at her and smiled. "Oh, hey. Yeah. I'm kinda hungry."

"Jason has platters of whosits and whatsits galore out in the living room. Not to mention everyone brought something to snack on," Audrey reminded. "Mike and I brought ambrosia salad. My stepmom's secret recipe."

He smiled again. "I know. I already had some. I just had this hankerin' for bologna and mustard."

"Mmm..." Audrey moaned. "Make me one?"

"Sure thing." He took two extra slices of bread out and two extra pieces of bologna, going to town on making her a sandwich. "So, how ya holding up? Feelin' any better?"

Audrey nodded. "Yeah. Been a little tired lately, but the doctors said that was to be expected. Lightheaded occasionally, but I suffered sever head trauma so they explained that would be a common after effect, but it should pass soon."

"Is it okay that you're drinking?"

"Yeah, as long as I take it in moderation."

Tre handed over her sandwich while biting into his. "There ya go," he said with a mouthful.

"Thanks."

They stood there, eating quietly, until Tre finished first and washed it down with the can of Budweiser he had in his hand. "So...anything else new? Anything seem different now? Or is it the same as before?"

"Well, obviously things are different. I am a car accident/coma survivor now. Not to mention..." she trailed off, raising her hand to her temple and rubbing gently.

"Not to mention what?" he asked. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine," she replied. "Just...Mike's been kinda overly protective lately, constantly asking how I am, if I'm sure I wanna do this or that. And he's walking on egg shells around me like I'm gonna shatter like glass at the drop of a hat. I just told him a few minutes ago that I wasn't a porcelain doll."

"He's just concerned."

"I know he is."

"Mike was a wreck during those two weeks. You'd think *he* was the coma patient, except, you know...a walking coma patient. Kinda zombie-ish."

Audrey frowned. "Well, it's in the past now. I don't wanna live there. If I learned anything from what happened, it's to cherish now. There might not be a tomorrow."

"I hear ya. Life is a precious thing."

"Damn straight." Audrey teetered on her feet for a moment and Tre looked at her strangley.

"Aud?"

Then everything went black.