Sequel: Danger Zone

Cannibal Red

Blood Wonder

Gripping Adrienne’s sides and throwing her over my shoulder was the easy part.
I didn’t know where to head, and I was amazed that nobody was rushing after us so far, let alone trying to stop me.
I could hear Adrienne mumbling incoherent things next to my ear as she slipped in and out of consciousness.

There were four long white hallways; two of the hallways ran off longer, glass jails like the previous one I had been standing in on both sides.
The other hallway in front of me had two more hallways coming off of it.
If I had any chance of finding Tyler and Hector, I was going to have to run fast.

So I did, running from one end of the two hallways to the next, Adrienne clinging to my back, her long black nails digging into my skin.
I was surprised at how fast I could run, how I didn’t ache, how I felt so powerful.

“Lee…” Adrienne groaned from my back.
I could feel her breath tickling the back of my neck.

“Adie…what is it?” I stopped, glancing back at her.

“Hector.”

I spun around, and suddenly I was facing Hector, his muscled body leaning against the wall, staring curiously at us. Well, as curious as he could be, with those sunglasses shading his eyes, besides the fact that we were indoors.

“Hector!” I almost screeched, rushing over to him, almost forgetting Adrienne on my back until she groaned again.

“Why is Adrienne’s head split open?”

I gulped and stare at him; he hesitated, licking his lips at me.

“You’re going to have to move.” I reply, watching him impatiently.

“Why?”

“Just move, Hector.”

Hector moved away reluctantly, his cold lips pursed.

And I smashed Adrienne through the glass of his cell, once again.
“LEE!”

Hector yelled, grabbing a woozy Adrienne from me, a movement I never thought he would ever make, and clutching her to his body.

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!”

I narrow my eyes at him, and toss my hair back. “You have to get her out of here; I’m going to find Tyler.”

And before he could reply, I was running off in the opposite direction.

I knew they would never put Tyler with the other prisoners, the faces of curious eyed, mouth watering Cannibals stared up at me, one grasping the glass and shoving their black awful teeth against it, as if doing this would entice me to come closer.

I watched as I passed them, my heart beating faster than any other heart could beat.
I was a Red Cannibal, a super human; I was more amazing than the amazing.

I ran faster, and soon the room was only a blur, I didn’t get tired though, within seconds I had ran from one side of the room to the other, just like taking a step.
This must have been what being a Red Cannibal was, the thrill of running, breathing, being better than anyone else.

I noticed a cell that looked like mine, a thick wall of glass at the end of the hall. I rushed over to it.
Sure enough, he was there, I breathed in, placing my hand against the glass as he looked up.

“Ty…”

Our long black fingernails pressed against the glass on the same spot, just different sides. I wanted to be on his side.
Looking up at his face, I noticed his eyes were a blazing red, his hair was messy, covering his eyes and clinging to his skin with sweat.
He was as pale as a corpse, and even though that was common among us cannibals.

“What happened to you?”

Tyler’s muffled, echoed, voice came from behind the glass.

“I drank your blood.”