Sequel: Danger Zone

Cannibal Red

Forgive Me Dear.

It had been two weeks since I had been with Adrienne, two weeks since Tyler had spoken to me, and two weeks since I’d done anything remotely close to finding something to eat outside my mother’s huge plastic containers of liver.
It was currently my favorite food to eat.

I’d been waiting around the house, eating liver, for someone to call me, but for some reason it felt like Adrienne and Tyler had just…got up and left.

I was sitting on the couch with my container of liver, watching some shitty American soap whilst mum was out to a movie with Vince.
The doorbell rang, and it was at least a minute before I’d registered what that annoying jingling sound was that I looked up to see Tyler’s face pressed up against the glass of my front door, his fingers tapping it softly, looking at me with a less annoyed expression that I’d seen him two weeks ago.

I stand up, almost dropping the container of liver balancing on my thighs. He watches me through the glass, his eyes not moving from my face.
Opening the door calmly I open my mouth to speak, but he silences me with a shake of his head.
It wasn’t like I was going to say anything anyway, I couldn’t find my voice.

“Hi.” He says, leaning his head against the doorframe and smiling softly at me. I smile back “Hey.”

We didn’t speak for at least half an hour, until I offered him some liver. He pulled a face and raised an eyebrow at me.
“Liver?”

I nod “Yeah, I’ve started eating way too much meat for my own good.”

His eyes travel up and down.
“Well you look much better, maybe you don’t have to hunt after all.”

I move the liver around in the container, the meat making a squelching sound that seemed to disturb Tyler further.

“Listen…Lee…”

I look up at him, expecting some kind of apology, but there was none that came out of his mouth. He just ran his hand through his freakishly big hair and crosses his right leg over his left.

“Ty, there is no way I can apologize more for what I’ve done, so if you came here expecting more than what I’ve already said, forget it.”

Tyler stands up abruptly, walking over to me and placing a hand on my shoulder. “No, it’s just…I don’t know how to word…I’ve been…”

“Really stupid?”

“Yeah.”

We stare at each other for a moment, smiling slightly.

“I’m sorry,” I finally mumble “it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have said I was looking after you.”

Tyler sighs “Let’s just forget it, I overreacted, seriously.”

I stare at him. It was so strange; two weeks ago he was staring at me and telling me that he didn’t want to do this, that he didn’t want anything to do with me.
Now he was telling me he was overreacting.

Then a little tick went off in my head. “What did Adie say to you?”

I take a step back, staring at him as if this wasn’t supposed to happen. Never.

“Nothing, she just said you were pretty upset…”

“Nothing else?”

“Nothing else.”