The Mind of a Joker

To get to the other side.

“Another bank in ruins. Goddamn it, we need to catch this psycho.” Jonathan Ramsey was walking down the hall, latest report in hand. Not knowing what to tell his commissioner this time. Sweat dripped down the side of his face. He had thought he knew where the joker’s next hit would be, all the clues fit into place. But him and his team ended up at a bank on the other side of Valeur city, as another was blown sky high. He reached his superior’s door, and didn’t knock as he strolled right in a sat down. His chief spoke first.

“21 dead Jonathan. 21. And Valeur city’s finest are staked out at the other side of the fucking city, scaring the life out of civilians!” Timothy Griggs. The commissioner of Valeur City P.D. Jonathan knew he messed up this time. He tried to save face.

“Sir, if you just look at the file, all the clues point to the fact that he was going to be at the Harbourside Bank of Valeur.” He opened the folder up and started to show the research, but he had the folder promptly smacked away from his hands, papers flying everywhere.

“I DON’T GIVE A RAT’S ASS WHAT THE CLUES SAID! You made my department look like a bunch of idiots.” Griggs was raging as he spoke, starting to turn red. He took a sip of water and turned around in his chair to face out the window. “Valeur city is home to a million and one criminals. And we put more and more behind bars everyday. You want to tell me why we are having such a hard time putting some freak with a clown fetish away?” Jonathan bent down and looked through the papers on the ground, to find the criminal’s rap sheet and information.

“The Joker, a severe paranoid schizophrenic. Chaotic by nature, he commits crime with no visible purpose. It’s as if he murders and robs for the fun of it.” The very thought of this scared Jonathan. “Real name: Unknown. Mother: Unknown. Father: Unknown.” Jonathan threw the paper at his boss. “Sir, we have every reason to believe these clues were left to directly make a fool out of us.”

Jonathan bent down to gather up the rest of his papers. After he got them back into his file folder, he turned to leave. He heard something thud against the window as he went to turn the doorknob and he turned around. A suction cup dart was stuck to the window with a sign that said “Why did the chicken cross the road?” Jonathan looked at Timothy, who looked back at him. Both were equally puzzled. A gust of wind spun the sign around and on the other side, was a jester, with an arrow pointing down.

Simultaneously, they looked down and saw a man in a trench-coat release a chicken into the road. The man walked at a regular pace, and Timothy grabbed for his cell phone.
“This is Griggs, I need eyes in the sky for a ma—“
An explosion cut him off. The chicken in the middle of the street was a bomb, and had just gone off.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those who are reading, this is my first foray into story-writing. I have a plot in my head, and all the chapters will be around this long. Think of it more as a screenplay than a story.