New life, new school, New Jersey.

I never told you what she did for a living

With a Green Day beat and a click of imagination, Charlie pulled out the blank canvas from a drawer of the wooden Chester drawers.
“She’s 2000 light-years away.” She sang wiggling her booty like some crazed thirteen-year-old girl.
Down stairs Sam sat sipping a cup of Welsh tea, in front of the television. She was having the tea bags delivered from Wales so she didn’t feel home sick. When they had first moved – Charlotte and herself- she wasn’t so sure it was going to work. Charlotte was to quiet, and she could tell she didn’t want to be there. Now, she was happy (Sam) her job was great; Charlotte was happy, very happy. But even in between Sam’s happiness she still felt left out. Charlotte had only ever once introduced this boy, now they were inseparable. Sam was happy for her daughter, but she never told her anything. She only found out about Charlotte’s grades because she phoned the school to ask. It’s not that Sam was worried about her daughters grades, they were above average, it was…well she wasn’t too sure what it was. Maybe Sam just wanted to be a little bit more involved in her daughter’s life.
There was a knock at the door so placing her cup on the coffee table Sam answered the door.
“Hi Ms Simpson is Charlie in?” Asked the young boy stood in front of her.
“Yes she is. Come on in…um…” Sam trailed. She couldn’t remember his name.
“Gerard.” He answered. He stood there in her passageway looking a bit nervous, Sam couldn’t resist but to ask.
“Do you mind if I ask you a question?” Now she’d asked she wished she hadn’t. There was no way the boy was going to agree.
“Sure why not.” He smiled innocently at the shot woman.
“Could you tell me a bit about your self… if you wouldn’t mind?”
“My name’s Gerard Way, I’ve got a younger brother called Mikey. We’re both in a band called My Chemical Romance with Frank, Ray and Bob. I’m the singer Mikey’s the bassist. My grandmother taught me to sing and draw … and I’m here to see Charlie.” Gerard took a deep breath filling his lungs with the sweet smell of a woman’s house. Sam smiled at Gerard’s honesty.
“She’s in her room.” He smiled and ran up the stairs. Sam smiled and sat back down on the cream sponge of a sofa. She placed the white china cup to her lips and took a sip. Happily she sat there.
Slowly making as much effort as possible to not make a noise. Gerard crept up behind Charlie, who was lying on her purple carpet unaware of her visitor.
Charlie stood up to admire her artwork. Even though the idea was there Charlie was still unsure what the patchy blobs were supposed to be. She turned and walked straight in to Gee’s chest. Scaring her nearly half to death, she let out a small scream. Gerard stood there laughing.
“You’re a Dick you know that?” She smiled. Gerard was nearly collapsing on the floor with laughter.
“Ready?” She asked smiling at his stupidity. Gerard stood up straight stopping his laughter.
“Yep…you sure your mom won’t mind?” Charlie shook her head as she turned off her music.
“Cool.”
They both ran down the stairs to the front door. Charlie shouted words of thanks to her mother as she shut the door behind her.
Stood like wooden logs lent against a wall, Mikey, Ray, Frank and Bob stood against the van waiting. Charlie placed her finger over the small black button placed I the middle of her key chains, and pushed it. The white sheet of corrugated metal rose from the garage reviling a small black and white room. Reviling the room to a whole, the boys saw all the instruments, sheet music and recording gear.
“You so totally didn’t tell us you has all this here!” Ray said standing up straight and peering in to the room amazed. Mikey, Frank and Bob stood up as straight as Ray, amazed by what they saw.
“It’s my mam and dad’s from their ‘wild years’”
“Your mom was in a band?” Gerard seemed shocked. He couldn’t imagine the perfectly well mannered woman in a band.
“Yep door knobs they were called…anyway you guys ready” All five excited boys made there way to the garage.
“I guess your dad was a drummer?” Bob said happily.
“He so was!… check this out guys.” Mikey announced. Sanding and staring at a photo hung on the wall. Four members stood posing at the camera. Three men and a woman (Charlie’s mam) they reminded Mikey of the rolling stones with the way they were dressed.
“Enough of the passed… how about the future. You guys have got a gig coming up soon. How about you start practising?” Charlie stood in the middle of the garage wondering what the fuss was all over.
“Right yea… rehearsal” Frank muttered as if in a daze from Charlie’s parent’s photo.
Inside Sam sat entering a daydream once more. The TV was a blur of silence in her face. She’d only agreed to let the boys rehearse because she missed the sound of music running threw the house. Ever since Charles died the house had been silent. Charlie hadn’t even been playing her fathers song like she used to. Even when he was in re-hab she played his song.
Her thoughts were interrupted by loud music playing. How good it felt to hear it once more.
“I’m not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid …”
“Hang on! Hang on!” Mikey interrupted placing the bass back on its stand.
“I’ve gotta go.”
“What do you mean you ‘gotta go’?”
“I told Alicia I’d meat her 5 mins ago…sorry.” He ran out leaving the boys down a bassist.
“How come you boys stopped?”
“My brother has a girlfriend.” Gerard answered, rolling his eyes. Charlie’s mum had appeared from the house.
“What instrument dose he play?” Samantha asked as if she were auditioning once more.
“Bass. Why?” Ray was still confused, even though everyone ells got Sam’s drift.
“Just watch…Wanna take it from the top?”
“Okay…1…2…3” Gerard lead. The boys began playing and Sam joined playing every note correct and perfectly.
Charlie felt at home for the first time since they arrived. Seeing and hearing her mam play once more was amazing. She looked so happy. A tear rolled slowly down her pale cheek, leaving a wet trail behind it. Charlie felt a scene of betrayal. She hadn’t played her father and hers song for a long time. But time changes everything. Well it had for her. Knowing after everything the re-hab staff did for her father, and then for him to throw it all way or one stupid junked up night withy the guitarist of ‘Door knobs’. She would never play that song again. Even if, in his death, she ashamed him. He ashamed her. Charlie lifted her head to see Gerard pouring his hart in to his song once more. It didn’t matter about playing ‘you and me’; she had her own songs to sing now.