New life, new school, New Jersey.

Happiness will come to an end.

Charlie was ecstatic. She couldn’t believe her mum said yes, with very little persuasion. She couldn’t stand still in the lift and as soon as there was a big enough gap for her to get thru, she was out of the lift and running to the minivan.
She couldn’t wait to get home and tell the boys what she had done for them. As she drove off she began to imagine the look on Gerard’s face when she told him. He’d be so happy that he’d pick her up in his arms and hug her so tight she would barely be able to breathe. The rest of the boys would follow Gerard’s lead. Mikey would kiss her on the cheek as many times as possible. Frank would just sit there and give two thumbs up, which was very rare for Frank. Bob would do some crazy hand-shaking-hand-slapping handshake. Ray would pick Charlie up off the floor, as she wasn’t the tallest person in the world, (I mean she had to stand on her tip toes just to kiss Gerard) and just hug her without saying a word.
Charlie turned on the CD player and listened to Gerard’s amazing voice fill her airwaves with magic. Turning down the road Charlie came to the lights towards the bridge connecting New York and New Jersey when her mobile rang. She picked it up, flipped the lip and answered. She knew exactly who was on the other end, from the ringtone.
“Hello my sexy man.” She answered.
“Hay baby where are you? I woke up and you weren’t here.” Gerard asked worried.
“Sorry honey, I jumped the minivan. I had to see my mum before she finished work.” Charlie’s voice was happy and cheerful. Charlie came closer to the crossroad where she would be able to cross the bridge. What she didn’t realise was that at that very same time a lorry filled with milk was hurtling down the right road, at about 70 miles per hour towards the crossroads. The lorry was unable to stop because its brakes were broken (or rather tampered with).
“Are you on your way home then?” Gee asked curiously.
“Yes. And I have a massive surprise...” Charlie hit the crossroads, and the milk van hit Charlie. “WHAT THE....” There phone conversation was cut short by a loud crushing bang.
“CHARLIE? ...CHARLIE?!” Gerard screeched down the phone, but Charlie’s phone had gone dead and quiet. Mikey looked up at his brother.
“Gerard what’s wrong? Gerard?” Mikey stood looking at his brother who had become strangely pale.
“I need...um... I need...” Gerard was cut off by an announcement on the television. All the boys turned their heads towards the young blonde news reporter.
“We interrupt today’s program with a very important news travel bulletin. Between the link-bridge leading from New York City to New Jersey a small gray minivan and a large milk truck have collided, leaving the crossroads un-accessible at this present time. Eye witnesses reported a young woman driving the minivan. The young lady, who has not yet been named, was on a cell phone at the time of the crash. The police have yet to inform us as to why the lorry was unable to stop. We do not know just how injured... oh... This just in... The young woman in the minivan is actually trapped within the van; the force caused by the lorry has crushed the right hand side of the van. The lorry driver, on the other hand, has been removed from the van and is on his way to a local hospital. The police are inquiring for any relatives of both drivers to come forward and help with the investigation.”
Gerard stumbled backwards.
“Isn’t that Mrs. Simpson’s car?” Ray asked looking curiously at Gerard. Gerard began to look around franticly.
“Bob... Where are the keys to the van?” Gerard became more frantic.
“Gerard I’ll drive you. You can’t drive in this state.” Bob jumped up and took Gerard to the van.
“Dude what on earth is going on?” Mikey asked, still, looking really confused.
“Dude the young woman in the minivan was Charlie. It was Mrs Simpsons’ car.” Frank told Mikey.
In the van Gerard dialled Mrs Simpsons’ works number. Bob looked over at Gerard. This was the most worried he’d ever seen him. The last time he seen him worried at all was when he couldn’t find his drawing pad before they did some gig a while back.
“There’s still no answer! ...Why have we stopped?” Gerard asked hoping for a sensible answer.
“The traffic is backed all the way down here.” Bob told him a little frustrated. Gee got one of those looks on his face, Bob had noticed. The type of look that says ‘I’m about to do something really impulsive’.
Bob war right. Gerard opened the car door and got out.
“Gee what are you thinking of doing?” Bob was concerned.
“I can’t hang about! I’ll let you know what hospital, go and get the boys and try and get hold of Mrs. Simpson.” Gee started to run. He ran all the way down the road towards New York’s connection, suspension bridge.
Charlie had just, scarcely, managed to open her eyes. She looked around; there was mechanical debris all across the road. It was quiet impossible to tell where the car parts began and the road ended, with the amount littering the street. Charlie turned her head slightly. The pain she endure was incredible, but she just had to look around. The right hand side of her mothers’ van was crushed beyond all repair, her mother was gonna kill her.
“John can you support her neck... I need an air bag over here...” A rather young voice came to Charlie’s attention. If it wasn’t for the voices Charlie would have thought she was on her own. A pair of hands held her neck in place with a few fingers and a thumb, just under her ears.
“Hello? ... Can you hear me? ... Can you blink twice if you can hear me?” Charlie complied, and blinked twice.
“Good girl. My name’s Ian and I’m gonna get you out of here okay.” Charlie blinked twice again. Looking around Charlie became stressed. She couldn’t remember why she was here. All she could remember was, wanting to find Gerard.
“Where’s Gerard? I got to find Gerard. I have to tell him something.” Charlie went to get up.
“Darling, you need to stay put. We don’t know how injured you are.” Charlie began to cry tears of desperation and stress.
Gerard was out of breath by the time he reached the crash site. But it didn’t bother him. He was determined to get to Charlie one way or another. He carried on walking thru the police barriers, when a NYPD, police officer stopped him in his tracks.
“I’m sorry lad, you can’t cross this line. Please go back under.” The copper closed in on Gerard.
“No you don’t understand... “Gee was cut short.
“Look I don’t want any trouble, lad. So go back under the line please.” The copper began to become forceful.
“Look... “
“Come on boy.”
“It’s...”
“Move back”
“THAT’S MY GIRLFRIEND IN THE CAR!” Gerard screamed. He was done playing games and just wanted to get to Charlie.
“Okay no problem. I’ll take you over. But please be prepared for the worst case scenario.” Gerard nodded at the office, and followed him across the street to the mangled car.
“GERARD! ... I need Gerard! ... Please I need to go to him now!” Charlie sobbed threw the oxygen mask. Tears lined her cheeks with a wet line of troubled pain. Gerard who had been walking across hared Charlie’s cries and had began to run over to her.
“Charlie? ...Charlie baby I’m here.” Gerard reached the car.
“Sir you’re gonna have to wait there.” Charlie saw Gerard out of the corner of her eye and sobbed. She looked so utterly helpless trapped within the van, And Gerard felt powerless to help her. Charlie muttered Gerard’s name once more before fading into unconsciousness.