New life, new school, New Jersey.

Time to be fed a lonely lunch

“Did you see that girl in English?” Laughed Bob. He had a beanie on his head. He was sitting on the bench with one leg up, tapping his drumsticks on the wood.
“I know! Where did she say she was from?” Asked Ray laughing at the thought of the new girl falling over in class.
“Wales.”
“Is it even a real country? Surly it’s made up, she just comes from England or something?” Everybody laughed,
Charlie walked passed all the groups and their groupies realising there was no free table. She went passed a group of laughing boys sat on a bench to sit on top of the grassy hill that looked over on to the playground. This was all wrong. This school sucked and Charlie felt like she was being laughed at all the time behind her back.
“Hay watch this!” The Ray with his jet-black hair covering one eye. The rest of his hair had been slicked down with gel to stop it from moving. Finishing the last bite of his peanut and jelly sandwich he lifted his arm, aimed and threw the bread. Most of the boys laughed at the situation.
This was just not fair. She didn’t want to come at all to start. Charlie wondered what her friends were doing now, without her, when something hit the back of her head. Looking around she noticed some bread lying apart on the floor. Looking to see who had thrown it, she looked around. There was no way of telling. Everybody was acting normal. She turned around and sighed. Why did she have to come? Why couldn’t she just go back home to Wales?
“I can’t believe you just did that Ray!”
“Gee, it was just a bit of a laugh.” Smiled Ray proud of hitting his target.
“Imagine how hard it must be for her. To come from a different country straight in to an American school?!”
“Gees it’s only a bit of fun, Gerard!” Said his brother Mikey. Gerard shook his head and walked over to the poor girl sitting on her own.
Pulling out her pad and pen Charlie began to write. Writing with more emotion than ever before. Yet again, it seemed she was always getting interrupted today, a tall boy wearing only anything black sat down next to her. Charlie straight away noticed his short dark black hair. It looked soft and encouraging just like his deep dark eyes.
“Hay, my name’s Gerard. I wanna apologize for my shabby friends behaviour.” He smiled. Charlie quickly closed her book realizing she had left it open this long. She smiled back. She didn’t want to seem rude.
“Charlie” She said. There was an awkward silence, neither knowing what to say or do. They both just sat there.
The rest of the boys looked on wondering what was happening.
“He’s stuck! How could he?” Mikey raced over to his brother’s side.
“Hay I’m Mikey, Gerard’s bro.” Mikey was almost out of breath. Charlie and Gerard both looked at Mikey and laughed.
The other boys noticed the laughing and joined them on the grass.
“So what type of things dose your mom publicizes?” Asked Bob curiously.
“I’m not quiet sure…something to do with music and new bands apparently…I’m not quiet sure.”
“Is Wales a real country?” Mikey asked quickly. Charlie looked abruptly at him.
“Is this all a big joke? You’ve come over her to fuck with me? Well fuck you!” Charlie grabbed her bag and walked off, leaving all five boys confused sat on the grassy hill.
“Mikey, what the hell?” Gerard looked at his baby brother with anger in his eyes.
“What’s wrong with you?” Gerard got up and went after Charlie.
Sat in the furthest corner of the library crying Gerard found Charlie. Charlie sobbed still wondering and asking the same question:- why?? Slowly, beside her, sat Gerard. Pulling up her hood and whipping her eyes she said:-
“Look what do you want?”
“I don’t know why Mikey asked that dumb question, he’s a very odd boy, but just as curious. I’m sorry o.k. …Are you o.k?” He placed his hand on her shoulder. Charlie didn’t know why but she liked the touch of his hand. It was kind and soft.
“No” She said turning towards him. He pulled her hood down and she laughed. Gerard looked at her oddly.
“It’s funny…I’m crying because I miss Wales.” Gerard still looked confused.
“I’ve always wanted to come here to America and now I’m here I miss Wales.” They giggled. Gerard placed his arm around her and gave her a hug. Charlie Hugged back.