Status: On hiatus

The Last Laugh

"I want him to want me....I want him to need me....Just like I need him."

"Everywhere I turn, he's there. It drives me insane, yet I love every second of it...."

"I try so hard to be exactly like him....but it's never enough. NEVER. ENOUGH."

*******

"Dr. Quinzel?"

"Hmmm...DOCTOR." I said with interest. "I like it!" This was the first time anyone had called me doctor. Usually it was miss, or Harleen, or something like that.

"Doctor?" Dr. Reynolds said again, snapping me out of my thought.

"Ahm?"

"We would like your assistance with a new patient we got." he began. I gave him an inquiring look.

"You need MY help?" I asked, bemused. I twirled around in my office chair excitedly. "I thought that I was only an intern."

"Well, we're moving you up," he said sternly, clearly wanting to get to the point. "As I was saying, we need your help with a certain...difficult patient."

"What's his name?" I questioned, getting serious and pulling out a pad of paper and my favorite pen.

"He..." the doctor was thoughtful for a moment. "He doesn't really HAVE a name."

"An alias?" I shot out, rotating my pen in-between my fingers. "A nickname? Pet name? Come on, throw me a bone here!"

"No, but he DOES leave a calling card," he told me nervously, fumbling around in his pocket. He eventually pulled out an actual card. He was shaking now, as he handed it to me. I took it and examined it. It was a joker card.