Status: On hiatus

The Last Laugh

Aw, You Missed Me?

I needed a moment to pull myself back together. I was NOT about to have any of my patients see me like this. Then again, I'm pretty sure The Joker already saw me. I went to the bathroom and fixed my hair and make-up, making me looking normal again. I called Jirk and Gub to put my patient back into the interrogation room. Minutes later, I was sitting across from the psychopath once again.

"Sorry about that interruption," I apologized with a sigh. He didn't seem too bothered by it.

"Was that the man who called you?" he asked lazily, licking his lips.

"You know, I'M supposed to be the one asking the questions," I pointed out to him. "And YOU'RE the one who's supposed to answer them."

"But you're my doctor!" he began to explain. "Aren't we supposed to be friends? And friends know all…about…each other."

"Once again, I'm not you're average doctor."

"Not your average patient." he retorted, holding up his handcuffed hands.

"I see…" I said and swallowed.

"Was it?"

"Was what it?" I inquired.

"Was that him? The guy who called you?" he repeated. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Yes, it was him," I answered, folding my arms. "Why do you care so much?"

"Because I want to kill him," he said nonchalantly. My heart stopped for a second.

"Why do you want to kill him?" I questioned tensely.

"He made you cry," he elucidated. "That wasn't very nice."

"And that bothers you? You, a man who's killed so many people?"

"Yep."

"Interesting…" I mumbled, searching in my briefcase for a piece of paper and a pen, overlooking the fact that it was empty. Instead, I found a single flower in it. Some, strange exotic flower that I did not recognize. I picked it up vigilantly, and examined it, making sure that The Joker did not see it. It was a bright purple and a dark green, with a bulky, extensive stem. I threw it back in my briefcase and shut the lid promptly. I gazed up slowly and curiously at him. He had his head tilted to the side and he was staring at me, with a small grin on his clown-face.

"What did you find?" he asked leisurely.

"Er…nothing," I lied to him and cleared my throat. "Anyways, Joker-"

"Want to see a trick?" he asked, interrupting me. He fanned his fingers threw the air.

"Not really-" I began, but cut myself off. How was he able to move his hands apart like that when he was…

I stood up and ran to the door and yelled out, "Security!" Jirk and Gub came moments later, with curious looks on their faces.

"He, he…somehow…took his handcuffs off!" I informed them, alarmed. The two guards raced over to him and picked him up by his shoulders. The Joker held his…handcuffed hands up and waved at them. He smirked at me.

"But-but he…" My explanation trailed off. Was he messing with my mind?

Girk rolled his eyes and Jub sighed, both setting the psychopath back onto his chair.

"I think you should take a break, Dr. Quinzel," Girk suggested, and Jub nodded his head.

"No I do not need a break." I grumbled at them, folding my arms. The two shrugged and left the room. I took my seat, but this time more attentively.

"See?" he asked idly. "Wasn't that a great trick?" My eyes widened.

"So you DID do that!" I asked, astonished. I then chuckled and clapped my hands a couple of times. I had to admit, it was pretty cool. He bowed his head.

"Impressive," I complimented, but then turned serious. "Enough games."

"But I like games."

"How did you get those scars?" I blurted out, unintentionally. But, once it was out, it was out. I didn't regret it.

"I'll tell you a little story," The Joker started, standing up and sauntering around the table. "I had this older brother, who was crazy, not right in the head," he explained, twirling his finger around his head. "But he always knew how to make me laugh. One day, he held a knife up to my mom and asked me, 'isn't this funny, brother?' I shook my head and told him no. He took the knife away from my mom and held it up to me, saying, 'why aren't you laughing?' I told him it wasn't funny. He puts the knife up to my face and says, 'I want to see you LAUGH.'"

He was right behind me when he said that last sentence and he put one of his hands on my left shoulder.

"So he put a permanent laugh on my face…" he mumbled, leaning his face next to mind. I continued to stare straight ahead, feeling a shiver rundown my back. I felt something cold and sharp on my right cheek.

"Want to see how?" he whispered. I opened my mouth and screamed, surprised that he was allowing me to do it. The door burst open, and the two body guards jumped inside, with an alarmed look on their faces. The knife was gone from my cheek, and The Joker was sitting casually across from me, no knife to be seen.

"Doctor, we're bringing The Joker back to his room, now," Gub said distractedly, and the two went and took The Joker, leaving the room. But just before the door was closed, I heard him laugh a sadistic, psychotic laugh that echoed throughout the halls.

Now I know why everyone's afraid of him. He plays games with you, and enjoys the pain he brings upon you. I thought I would be feeling…scared, angry, afraid, some normal emotion like that. Instead, I felt…intrigued, bewildered, and, most surprising of all, entertained. It was like The Joker was putting on a show for me, and just me. There was something about him that amazed me. But I knew I couldn't go near him anymore, not after today. Dr. Reynolds was probably going to higher someone else to deal with him, someone who won't react like I did.

I was lying in my bed, with my head dangling off the foot of it. I had a bowl of bubble gum ice cream in my hand and I was watching the news.

"We have apprehended one of the most dangerous drug-dealers in Gotham," the newscaster with the brown, perfect slicked back hair said. "Dr. Jonathon Crane, who used to work with the DA's office, was found tied up, by none other than the Batman. You may recall him also being known as, 'the scarecrow.' Many pounds of drugs were found with him."

The screen was suddenly covered with ice cream and shards of my bowl. I was no longer lying on my bed, but standing furiously on the floor. How could they lock my Jonathon up in jail? I was not mad, not angry, but PISSED. And worst of all, Dr. Reynolds had me knocked back down to intern at the asylum.

"…bastards…" I mumbled to myself as I vehemently folded my arms. But what could I do? I doubt I could get him out of jail. I do suppose I could visit him, now. That was a plus. Now what do I do? I was bored, and wasn't allowed back at the asylum for a couple of days to, 'cool off and recharge,' as Dr. Reynolds had put it. I went to my fridge, opened the door, and notice the lack of food. Maybe it was time I did some grocery shopping.

I locked the door behind me, making sure to hear the sharp, 'click.' Putting my keys back in my little purple purse, I began to walk towards the nearest Wal-Mart. Maybe it was just me being paranoid, but I could've SWORN that people were following me. Big guys, with hands the size of my face. It was a little…scary. I took a breath and thought to myself, 'ignore them. The Joker's just getting to you. Relax, think of Jonathon-no wait, never mind. DON'T think of him.'

I felt someone bump me from behind. It was one of the big guys I thought-no IMAGINED were following me.

"Excuse me!" I said cheerfully, and turned around and continued on my way. But before I could do that, the man grabbed my arm and began dragging me towards an empty alleyway. He pushed me against a wall and held something in front of his face. It looked like a card. The big guy shoved it in my jacket pocket before I got the chance to get a good look at it. Then, to my surprise, he walked away. I was shaking from head to toe. But hey, at least I wasn't marred. I took a deep breath again, and walked back into the busy streets of Gotham.

Casually, I pulled the card out of my pocket, and it was HIS card. The Joker card. There were some words scribbled on it:

'I MISS YOU.'

I turned around, forgetting all about the groceries, and power walked as fast as I could, home.

My telephone began to ring, and I went to answer it.

"Hello?" I asked distractedly. Ever since I had gotten home, I'd been sitting at my computer in my apartment, doing research.

"Uh, Ms. Quinzel?" a familiar voice said through the receiver.

"Yep!" I said, a little more cheerfully. "What is it doctor?"

"We need you to come down here right now."

"Something wrong?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, it's The Joker," he began, sounding extremely weary. He instantly had my full attention. "He won't talk to any of our other psychologists. We only heard him say one thing: Quinzel."

"Sooo… you want me back?" I asked with a smirk.

"Yes," he told me, exasperated.

"You're old," I told him bluntly. "You need to take it easy."

"Will do," he said sarcastically.

I opened the door into the little room, and saw him staring at me, boredom just screaming on his face.

"You're back," he said neither happily nor angrily. "I missed you."

"I could tell," I said with a smile, the image of his card flashed through my mind. "Why is it that you would only talk to me?"

He shrugged and said, "There's something about you that I like." I wanted to say the same thing right back at him.

"Well, you wanted me, you got me. Now talk."

"Did you love him?" he asked, folding his handcuffed hands on the table.

"This again?" I moaned, slumping in my chair. "What is it with you? You want to know so much about me! I know so little about you, and I'm the doctor!"

"Answer my question, and I'll answer one of yours," he negotiated. I sighed and nodded my head.

"Fine," I mumbled. "Ok, yes, I did love him. He was my boyfriend."

"What was his name?" he continued. This man just looked so bored! Even after I gave him the information he wanted.

"Sorry, I can't give out that sort of information."

"Was it Jonathon Crane?" I froze as soon as he said that. How did he know?

"N-No, it wasn't…" I lied, but I knew he didn't believe me.

"Oh relax!" The Joker told me. "I'm in here! Not like there's anything I can do to him."

"But what about your thugs?" I asked pointedly, crossing my arms and glaring at him. "One of them paid me a little visit today. Gave me this."

I threw him the card. He didn't pick it up; just merely stared at it.

"That's my card," he told me.

"OBVIOUSLY."

"It's so cute that you wanted to come back to me SO badly, that you would scribble a bunch of words on the back of the card I gave you." the psychotic clown told me.

I stared at him, and my eye began to twitch. He grinned.

"Am I making you mad?"

"No, PISSED." I corrected him smoothly. I had to calm down. I knew this is how he got to people. I would NOT let him get to me. "I believe it was YOU who wanted me back. You wouldn't talk to any other psychiatrist; the only thing you said was my last name…the list goes on and on."

He licked his lips.

"No response?" I asked with a smile. I had been triumphant. "Maybe it's time that I start asking some questions, hm?" He said nothing.

"Alrighty then," I began, searching for something to ask him. "Why do you get enjoyment out of other people's pain?"

Silence.

I slammed my fist on the table. "Come ON! You told me you would answer one of my questions if I answered on of yours!"

"It makes me happy to see their faces staring at me in horror," he explained quietly. "To know that I have the power over their life. It's quite fun, you should join me some time."

I hadn't realized that I had been holding my breath. I let it go slowly, and continued to stare at him. I hadn't expected an answer like THAT to come out of him.

His head was tilted sideways and he was staring at me in a startling way. A horn blasted outside.

"Ah!" he exclaimed happily. "That's my cue!"

He stood up and his hands were no longer in handcuffs. He walked over towards me with a knife in his hand. All I could do was stare at him, knowing that he was going to kill me. He picked me up by my arm and put the knife to my throat. Surprisingly, I wasn't scared, but mystified. He leaned into my ear and whispered;

"Ok, I know you're not very scared, but I need you to pretend to be so I can get out of here. Alright? Alright. Let's go."

The Joker dragged me through the door and passed the security guards, all the way up to the front entrance. There was a green van waiting outside the clear set of double doors. I did my best to look scared. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and pushed me to the ground. I heard the door open, and gun shots rang through the air. I rushed to hide under the security guard's desk and hid. When they were all over, my head popped up.

"He's gone!" Jirk yelled, but Gub was nowhere in sight. "And Girk was helping him!"
♠ ♠ ♠
well i hoped you liked it. this was pretty crazy and insane, so please, leave a comment.