Universe.

Universe.

She made me smile with all the suns of the universes. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She was beautiful, wonderful, ageless. She could pick out a million flaws, but I could see none of them, reflected in my eyes.

As we sat, I sighed. Heavily. It was the last time I’d ever see her again. I tried to be glad, she was going to save the world.

And suddenly I thought to myself. What if we didn’t have to part? What if I could keep her locked in this moment forever, stop the world for just a while longer. Keep looking at her set face…keep dreaming that for once in my life, things could go the way I wanted them to go.
No more fighting or hurt or suffering. No more war and anarchy and politics and hunger and death.
And I could be in love.

Move to France, or Spain, or Germany. Get married on the steps of Egypt, like we’d both joked about. Have a child together. Live the life we wanted. Buy books and clothes and groceries. Sigh over who’s turn it was to do the dishes and have petty arguments over the little things, things that didn’t really matter anyway. And when I got her so angry, I’d kiss the wrinkles on her nose, and she’d instantly forgive me. We’d have makeup sex on the floor and giggle about it when we were both old. And when she passed away, I’d be there, next to her, holding her hand. Telling her she wouldn’t have to wait long. And then, after she passed away, I’d set our affairs straight, sell the house, give the cat to our grandkids and then follow her.

But instead, she was off to save the world. We all knew it would be down to this. She was our only chance of the world ever being good again.
And she took it. The pain and the responsibility.

And as dramatic as it sounded, echoing through my mind, I knew I could never fall in love with anybody else again. She was the one, and she was the one I had to let go away.
But not yet.

I concentrated, with all my might. With my heart, with my soul. With my everything. And I stopped time.
As I sat, still entwined in her, another sigh escaped my lips. I just didn’t want to give her up.